Scared eating all my cals will = weight gain :(

Options

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Just to offer a little perspective, I was eating 1200 cals or less (for the last 16 yrs) and at varying times, VERY SLOWLY losing weight, not losing at all or gaining weight. Not only was the weight coming off slowly, I was tired and cranky as well. Although not hungry a lot of the time. On 9/3/12 I read a number of threads on MFP that made a lot of sense to me and made me question the 'eat less, weigh less' approach. So from that day on I made a concerted effort to eat more (tough for me to do due to medical issues but that's another story). Without changing any of my exercise routine, from 9/3 until 9/12, I gained 3/4 of pound. Since 9/12 I have lost 2.2 pounds. The only cardio I have done is 30 min walk/jog on the treadmill 3 x per week and Taekwondo for 30 min 2 x per week <--which is the same I've always done.

So if upping my calories to 20% below my TDEE while making sure I stayed above my BMR isn't responsible, I'm at a loss to explain what is.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    I want to be eating at a number that I feel comfortable at and for me that's 1200,
    If I feel I need a bit more at times I just have more.
    I have some friends around my same height that have had some really great success at 1200
    Not that matters to much since we're all so different.
    I'm just glad i didn't gain all the weight back instantly after being sick. I'm still expecting the scales could go up a little but as long as they go down in the long run :)
  • bpyoyo
    bpyoyo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel your fear as well. I've been averaging 600 cal/day for the last 9 months. But, I know my body is in starvation mode, meaning losing weight should be very difficult. I fear eating 1100 a day will send the scales sky high. For me, it is due to medication that causes a lack of appetite. My dr had to give me prescription nausea medication so I can eat 800 - 900 a day. I can feel my body not doing well at this level - tired, dizzy, light headed... I know it is 100% necessary for me to have at least 1100 cal b/c of the other meds I am on so I don't go toxic on them. But, I just can't reach that level yet.

Sorry so rambly, I just wanted to let you know I understand your fear and make sure you know VLCD are dangerous.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Ok so two days back at 1200 were fine but now after a few more days I'm gaining which sucks.
    See what happens by next week
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Ok so two days back at 1200 were fine but now after a few more days I'm gaining which sucks.

And that might happen. But it shouldn't be a lot. Give it a fair chance. And to be honest, 1200 is enough. It isn't a sustainable amount long term.
  • ebony__
    Options

And that might happen. But it shouldn't be a lot. Give it a fair chance. And to be honest, 1200 is enough. It isn't a sustainable amount long
  • ebony__
    Options

And that might happen. But it shouldn't be a lot. Give it a fair chance. And to be honest, 1200 is enough. It isn't a sustainable amount long term.

3lbs gained so far and consistently increasing. I'm not eating over my 1200 and not eating back my exercise calories.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

3lbs gained so far and consistently increasing. I'm not eating over my 1200 and not eating back my exercise calories.

Then you should go to your doctor, to be honest.
  • ebony__
    Options

Then you should go to your doctor, to be honest.

I went when I first started out because I wanted to check everything I was doing and if 1200 was right because I'd been at it for 6 weeks and not lost anything, logging very careful and exercising...
    She seemed very disinterested and was quite rude to me but basically just told me I needed to do it longer.
    That was at the start of the year,
    I went away and came back more determined this time and have managed to loose nearly 10 lbs but still very slowly.
    I'll wait for another week or so,
    But if I keep gaining at 1200 I'll go to the doctor again ( maybe a different doc)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

This is totally normal. I highly suggest you get off the scale for a solid week. Stick to eating good food and let things go a bit. You're obsessing more than you should, and it's going to do nothing but drive you insane.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    hmmm i say eat the 1200 calories and once it says you ate 1200, then workout to burn some off..that way you did eat 1200 but you also burned off some of that 1200..1200 is my goal and when i log food it says i went over..but once i plug in my workout it goes down an i am under it. so make sure it is not what you burned thats making you think you are under cause it will confuse you..
  • t4fun17
    Options
    I have a hard time eating the amount of calories they say I need and then when I exercise they take the calories up. I feel like I have to eat all day none stop to get these calories.
  • ebony__
    Options
    hmmm i say eat the 1200 calories and once it says you ate 1200, then workout to burn some off..that way you did eat 1200 but you also burned off some of that 1200..1200 is my goal and when i log food it says i went over..but once i plug in my workout it goes down an i am under it. so make sure it is not what you burned thats making you think you are under cause it will confuse you..

Thanks.
    Not confused.
    I don't eat back many of my exercise calories unless it's a huge work out and my body feels like it needs it
  • ehrenob
    ehrenob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    id say, keep your calories at 1200. you body/metabolism will get used to it. weight is just a number dont let a few pounds get you down. as long as you eat healthy the weight will continue to come off and you'll see better results.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I haven't been well this week and my calorie intake has been very low. ( under 500 due to being sick) But I've also lost a bit of weight over the week. And I'm really terrified of starting to eat back up around the 1200 mark because I wasn't really losing and I'm scared it's going to make me put on weight. I know that 1200 shouldn't make me
    Put on weight but I just need some reassurance maybe?

This is the hard part when you finally reach your goal. I had a hard time too. I'd been dieting for so long I didn't know how to let myself eat more, but you must. This is when you need to worry about starvation mode (if you are at 12% BF or lower). And actually you should taper up your calories by now anyway. But 1200 means nothing, it's relative to your BMR. I'm short so 1200 is a lot of calories for me but if you are taller you need more.

It's really important that you eat. You will get sick if you don't. I got to my goal a year ago and I've been eating more now, at BMR, and I didn't balloon up in weight.

Realize something else; It took years to get over weight, and it won't happen again overnight or in a week or even a month. If you start to creep up you know what to do now, no big deal. The neat thing about what you have learned in your weight loss journey is that these are the tools you will use for life. Relax. It's okay.
  • sadein
    Options
    I completely understand what you're saying. I've been through the same thing before. 1200 calories and exercise should be all you need to continue to lose, stick with it and don't obsess about the weight gain, it will all even out. Like someone said, the weight you lost while sick, probably wasn't all fat. I'm one of those people that can get sick and actually gain weight while eating nothing, it happens.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    This is totally normal. I highly suggest you get off the scale for a solid week. Stick to eating good food and let things go a bit. You're obsessing more than you should, and it's going to do nothing but drive you insane.
    I agree with this. It's almost like you're bordering on paranoia. Stop using the scale for at least a week.
  • ebony__
    Options
    I agree with this. It's almost like you're bordering on paranoia. Stop using the scale for at least a week.

Your both right and I'm going to stay of the scale for a week ,
    It's just hard when I feel like I've worked so hard for so long to only lose 10lbs and then to see them coming back on.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Your both right and I'm going to stay of the scale for a week ,
    It's just hard when I feel like I've worked so hard for so long to only lose 10lbs and then to see them coming back on.

I think a little perspective is in order here. Look through the success stories. Look at their diaries. The people who lost the most and maintained it ate well and continue to do so. Think of them as an example for you to follow. Starving yourself and getting obsessive is going to do nothing but continue to hinder your progress, and eventually, it'll make you want to quit and give up entirely.
  • caslyn3
    caslyn3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Agreed. Even though I weigh myself every single day.. I know that I am going to go up and down in my weight..I don't get paranoid because every weigh in, I am down. Personally I think 1200 calories are not enough.. It's crazy, but I never knew that you have to EAT to lose weight. MFP already calculates your weekly exercise in your goal that is why you are able to eat your calories back.

Stop being so paranoid that you are going gain..I agree you are stressing yourself. Just don't think about it and just EAT. Your body will get back to normal and then you start back your logging. Good LUck :-)