Some help please :)

Options
Right so to be honest, i have been a bit rubbish at this in the last week that i have been logging, but its probably been around 2 weeks of rubbish in total.

I have realised 2 things in that two weeks

1. that i have been eating too little and too much rubbish in the last few years, so basically keeping my body in starvation mode whilst filling up on crap

2. that i am a little bit intollerent to wheat.

Other revelations have been that i actually dont like red meat very much.

So what do i need?

I need some cheap alternatives to things like bread and pasta.
I need to find foods that i can eat that will nourish me and my family on a very meagre budget.

bonus's are that i live near a thriving English charter market where i can buy very cheap nuts, seeds etc
that my husband gets paid next week so we will have some money to spend on a newer healthier diet

Til then we will struggle on, there is nothing i can do about that.

so. Please could people pass on some ideas of meals/snacks and so on that would fit in with the above?

perhaps if there are more wheat intollerant folk i could have a look at their diaries?

thanks so much x

Replies

• sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use very little wheat products. the occasional whole wheat cracker serving. granola bars. I use potatoes instead of bread for a starch for meals. Parsnips, Turnips, sweet potatoes make low cost alternatives for startches. Bulgar, quinoa, barley, brown rice help out as well in small servings. There are so many ways to fix chicken for protein, fish, eggs that red meat doesn't need to happen often. Beans and legumes work well also for carbs and proteins. I have lots of salads with cucumbers and tomatoes a little vinaigrette dressing. Gives lots of fill up power with little calories beyond the dressing. matched with protein and a potato and I'm full!

Hope that helps.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Jacket potatoes and beans for lunch then. Rather than bread - thats a good swap :)

Might look for some wheat free pasta

I am going to buy a ridiculous amount of mixed beans and sprouting mixes when we get paid...

The salads sound yummy but i really need to up my food count. I am seriously not eating enough!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wheat or any grain. Feel free to view diary.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Thanks, i will take a look x
  • RickBrand
    Options
    Good job noticing what's going on with your body and diet. Awareness is huge when we look at change.

You might check out a book, Eating Right for Your Type. It considers our genetic makup and suggests what diet needs for your system has been programmed to excel. It gives lists of foods that fit different diets. I hope you find it useful.

http://www.dadamo.com/

Cheers,
    Rick
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Good job noticing what's going on with your body and diet. Awareness is huge when we look at change.

You might check out a book, Eating Right for Your Type. It considers our genetic makup and suggests what diet needs for your system has been programmed to excel. It gives lists of foods that fit different diets. I hope you find it useful.

http://www.dadamo.com/

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks Rick but unfortunately i am unable to feed myself lunch today due to no money so buying a book won't be possible x

I think i can swap my toast of a day for a potato and i can swap cereal for some porridge. Then really it just swapping pasta for wheat free pasts!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Rice is a good alternative - cheap and filling. And if you want to make a stir fry, you can find rice noodles. Rice cakes are my favourite for snacking on - with some cheese, or a scrape of marmite.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to swap them at all just leave them out? you still get carbs in other ways? other than potatos and SOME types of cracker based items not alot out there for carbs! not sure about tofu/poleta personaly i dont like it! :wink:
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Why do you need to swap them at all just leave them out? you still get carbs in other ways? other than potatos and SOME types of cracker based items not alot out there for carbs! not sure about tofu/poleta personaly i dont like it! :wink:

Ii am not sure what you mean. I need to eat something. Are you suggesting i just have baked beans alone without a potato. Or tuna and sweetcorn from a tin but no pasta?

Bit confused by your post sorry x
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I think that is what they mean. When I started reducing carbs I tried to just find alternatives, whereas now I'm quite happy with only fish+ veg for a meal, no need for any potato/rice/pasta type element. But it can be difficult to jump straight into that, so if you want to research good swaps first that's a very sensible approach.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    sorry am i missing something... why are we removing carbs?
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Quinoa, lentils, beans, chick peas, veggies, fruit, cous cous, barley, brown rice, etc etc. you can have a look at my diary as well. We spend £150 per month on food for 2 adults and 1 toddler that eats nearly an adult sized portion. I plan all meals at once and order groceries online so I don't end up buying stuff I don't need. I also make things homemade (it's easy and dinner rarely takes me more than 30 mins to make!) look on bbcgoodfood.com it's great. We eat a lot of vegetarian meals because meat can get expensive. When we do eat it, I use less and add beans and stuff to bulk it up so food goes further.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    not sure if this helps but check out speghetti squash. i made this for the first time the other day and had it last night. its really pretty decent. i was a little skeptical at first, but def worth it at 21 cals per half cup. it is a little higher in carbs if i remember. good luck.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Quinoa, lentils, beans, chick peas, veggies, fruit, cous cous, barley, brown rice, etc etc. you can have a look at my diary as well. We spend £150 per month on food for 2 adults and 1 toddler that eats nearly an adult sized portion. I plan all meals at once and order groceries online so I don't end up buying stuff I don't need. I also make things homemade (it's easy and dinner rarely takes me more than 30 mins to make!) look on bbcgoodfood.com it's great. We eat a lot of vegetarian meals because meat can get expensive. When we do eat it, I use less and add beans and stuff to bulk it up so food goes further.

Excellent thanks! We also have a toddler (and a new born but he won't be eating anything for a while!

Would love to see your usual shopping list! lol
  • jenneal89
    Options

Excellent thanks! We also have a toddler (and a new born but he won't be eating anything for a while!

Squash
    Fry light
    Sweet corn
    Brown rice
    Risotto rice
    Oxo
    apple sauce
    raisins
    basalmic vinegar
    Flaxseed
    Light soy sauce
    Mirin
    sweet chili sauce
    sugar
    butter (for baking)
    Flora Light
    Low fat yogurt
    cheddar cheese
    parmesan cheese
    broccoli
    Spinach
    mushrooms
    sausage
    turkey mince
    peas
    lentils
    soup
    whole wheat spaghetti
    chopped tomatoes
    almond butter
    honey
    eggs
    onions
    sweet poatatoes
    rapseed oil
    olive oil
    malpe pecan crisp
    granola
    cheerios
    pita bread
    proscuitto
    pesto
    almonds
    walnuts
    cranberries
    canned fruit
    pommegranates
    frozen fruit
    pinto beans
    Chickpeas
    Cous cous
    Black beans
    Black eyed beans
    Spelt flour
    Porridge oats

This is my list from last month. I don't buy everything very month because I usually have leftover of at least a few things. We get 1-2 packs of turkey mince and 3 packs of half fat or light sausages. Everything else we buy Tesco everyday value if it's available. It doesn't look like a lot but we always have yummy, filling, and healthy food. I also make my own granola/granola bars for snacks.

Edit: I go weekly and get veggies otherwise they would go off but it only costs me about £5/week or so
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    We're not removing carbs - I'd used my experience of that as a way of avoiding wheat based products, because someone else said why do you need alternatives at all, just do without!
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Squash
    Fry light
    Sweet corn
    Brown rice
    Risotto rice
    Oxo
    apple sauce
    raisins
    basalmic vinegar
    Flaxseed
    Light soy sauce
    Mirin
    sweet chili sauce
    sugar
    butter (for baking)
    Flora Light
    Low fat yogurt
    cheddar cheese
    parmesan cheese
    broccoli
    Spinach
    mushrooms
    sausage
    turkey mince
    peas
    lentils
    soup
    whole wheat spaghetti
    chopped tomatoes
    almond butter
    honey
    eggs
    onions
    sweet poatatoes
    rapseed oil
    olive oil
    malpe pecan crisp
    granola
    cheerios
    pita bread
    proscuitto
    pesto
    almonds
    walnuts
    cranberries
    canned fruit
    pommegranates
    frozen fruit
    pinto beans
    Chickpeas
    Cous cous
    Black beans
    Black eyed beans
    Spelt flour
    Porridge oats

This is my list from last month. I don't buy everything very month because I usually have leftover of at least a few things. We get 1-2 packs of turkey mince and 3 packs of half fat or light sausages. Everything else we buy Tesco everyday value if it's available. It doesn't look like a lot but we always have yummy, filling, and healthy food. I also make my own granola/granola bars for snacks.

Edit: I go weekly and get veggies otherwise they would go off but it only costs me about £5/week or so

Thats really helpful thanks :)

Is Spelt flour not wheat?

I thought it was unprocessed wheat flour but i might be wrong?

home-made granola bars sound fantastic :D
    Will definitely be looking up your diary! xx
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    We're not removing carbs - I'd used my experience of that as a way of avoiding wheat based products, because someone else said why do you need alternatives at all, just do without!

I am still confused by this, surely if you have a meal that is pasta/tuna/sweetcorn (for example) and you just 'do without' your pasta, you are just eating tuna and sweetcorn, so no carbs? Therefore removing the carbs?
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Oh yea, I forgot about that part of your post sorry. Spelt flour is a relative of wheat and unprocessed do it's easier to digest. There are lots of different options for flour: almond meal/flour, corn flour, rice flour, potato flour....
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am still confused by this, surely if you have a meal that is pasta/tuna/sweetcorn (for example) and you just 'do without' your pasta, you are just eating tuna and sweetcorn, so no carbs? Therefore removing the carbs?

Corn has carbs in it as well. A one cup serving of sweet corn has 123 grams of carbs in it.

Say the meal has:
    1 cup of pasta (spaghetti) 43 grams carbs 220 calories
    1/2 cup of sweet corn 62 grams carbs 302 calories
    3 oz tuna 0 gram carbs. 99 calories
    Total calories consumed = 621 calories.

IN the one meal you are consuming 105 grams of carbs
    If you change out the pasta for say - green beans you are reducing the carbs intake to 8 grams versus 43 AND you are consuming only 34 calories for the beans versus 220 calories for the pasta.
    the total calories consumed by changing out the green beans is 435 calories.

Change the corn for green beans and you save even more calories.

Carbs are in vegetables as well as grains and pasta. the idea is choosing healthier, more nutritious carbs with a lower calorie level to help lose weight.