Fitness Bike

Options
So... my boyfriend and I are going to be purchasing an exercise bike because we both need to get into better shape and it is the one big fitness machine that is somewhat in our budget. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations of a good one (in the 200-400 dollar range)?
2. Has anyone had significant (30+) weight loss with just using an exercise bike as their main means of cardio?

We both plan to do what we can do incorporate more cardio in to our routine but we hope the exercise bike will give us a big chunk of the exercise we need, especially since it is going to live right in front of the TV ;)

Good luck to you all and remember each day is an opportunity!

Replies

• siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to add that I am eating clean. I log all my foods and am at shooting for 1200 calories a day. I am only 5'0 and I have 50+ pounds to lose.

:)
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I cannot comment on what bike to buy as I use my gym membership.. but I can say cycling, if done at a high enough cardiovascular level, is great cardio. I do spinning as my cardio workout almost exclusively and I have done okay for myself. I do balance it with some weight training as well, but as cardio, its pretty much all I do as it is all I like that my knees can handle.

I say, any exercise is good exercise :)

Good luck to you, and happy cycling!
  • siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tayner, wow... 90lbs.. you certainly have done well for yourself and I am completely motivated knowing your main cardio was an exercise bike and you have managed to drop 90 lbs, CONGRATS!!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I bought a used bike from Craigslist in September and I've lost 41 pounds since September 8th. Granted, I do other things than just the bike for cardio (interval training - running- a few times a week), but the stationary bike is the one thing I do almost every single day for at least 30 minutes. I get up 30 minutes early and get in 30 minutes before work just in case that's the only exercise I'm able to get around to for the day.

Mine is probably pretty old (I would be surprised if it's less than 10 years old) and it uses air resistance. It also has arms that move so I do get a better work out & I have to say I recommend getting a bike that works the arms. As my stamina improves, I simply increase the intensity by pedaling faster. I park mine in front of the TV, too. Since it's a little loud (because it uses air resistance), I just bought a headphones cord extender (yep, that's the technical term :wink:) & plug it into the audio out on my TV to watch a favorite show or computer to listen to music & pedal away).

ETA: I paid $40 for the bike.