I really feel like giving up

Options
I want to lose like a maximum of 20lbs. I've tried losing my last 20lb for many months. In one year, I lose 30lb and this time, it just seems stagnant. I'm never eating junk, pop, chocolate again like before but having that extra umph everyday to lose weight and go to gym is too much without much result.

Right now, 185lb.

Replies

• opiwt
    Options
    There's no doubt about it, if you eat at a caloric deficit, you WILL lose weight, I know it's gradual, you just have to remember that getting fit is a lifestyle change, the sad bit is when people get deterred by not seeing enough improvement over a period of time. It's a slow but worthwhile process in my opinion.

Find your driving force!! Good luck!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I want to lose like a maximum of 20lbs. I've tried losing my last 20lb for many months. In one year, I lose 30lb and this time, it just seems stagnant. I'm never eating junk, pop, chocolate again like before but having that extra umph everyday to lose weight and go to gym is too much without much result.

Right now, 185lb.

then give up...

and make a smaller goal...

instead of worrying about 20#... think about 5...

OR... how about a novel idea... join me...

I personally don't make weight goals anymore... I make fitness goals... when I first started making goals they were a lot different...

my goals are (now/first goal)
    1)decrease my mile time walking (15 min mile/25 min mile)
    2) get consistent on my biking mile (I *can* do a 5 min mile... but I avg 7 goal now 5 min was 10 min)
    3) do an unassisted chin up (I use the machine and I am down to 190# of assistance goal 0 was 260)
    4) gym 3 days a week EVERY WEEK (was never)
    5) 125 miles per month hiking/biking/walking (original goal was 1500 steps per day... now I average 15000... well right this min I average 400... but I have a broken foot so this minute doesn't count)

I also make calorie goals... eating under my cals... (or within 100)...

doing these two things has helped me change my body in tremendous ways: I started at 340... I have lost those measurements but I know my bust was 56inches...
    31 Dec 08 310#
    waist 53
    hips 64

24 July 2012 -270#
    bust -40
    waist - 49.5
    hips - 58.5

I need new measurements as those were almost 10# ago...

(I must add that I am not currently working on any of these goals actively because I broke my foot two weeks ago... but as soon as I have clearance you bet your sweet bippy I will be out there sweating)
  • cherylf145
    Options
    NEVER give up.. no matter what, no matter how long it takes..

Agree with making your goal smaller and taking little steps to get there..YOU will get there!
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    then give up...

just realized this may have come across wrong...

don't give up on the effort...

give up on the goal... and change it...
  • PHYLLISALEXIS
    PHYLLISALEXIS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. Remember you might be losing inches instead. The scale numbers will eventually change if you dont give up.
  • banks89202
    Options
    Don't give up, keep pushing! You can do it! Add me for motivation if you would like :D
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    just remember that as you lose weight, your body will require less energy
    > less calories. you may need to decrease your calories
  • 3X173
    3X173 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support. I realize that it's the hardest thing that I've done in my life so far and it's almost pitiful to admit defeat when it gets tougher. I always had the excuse that my mom cooks unhealthy meals and now I live alone, I control what I eat more autonomously than before. Seriously, wish me luck and best luck to all of you also. It's this support that really matters from time to time.
  • 3X173
    3X173 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Right now, 185lb.

then give up...

and make a smaller goal...

instead of worrying about 20#... think about 5...

OR... how about a novel idea... join me...

I personally don't make weight goals anymore... I make fitness goals... when I first started making goals they were a lot different...

my goals are (now/first goal)
    1)decrease my mile time walking (15 min mile/25 min mile)
    2) get consistent on my biking mile (I *can* do a 5 min mile... but I avg 7 goal now 5 min was 10 min)
    3) do an unassisted chin up (I use the machine and I am down to 190# of assistance goal 0 was 260)
    4) gym 3 days a week EVERY WEEK (was never)
    5) 125 miles per month hiking/biking/walking (original goal was 1500 steps per day... now I average 15000... well right this min I average 400... but I have a broken foot so this minute doesn't count)

I also make calorie goals... eating under my cals... (or within 100)...

doing these two things has helped me change my body in tremendous ways: I started at 340... I have lost those measurements but I know my bust was 56inches...
    31 Dec 08 310#
    waist 53
    hips 64

24 July 2012 -270#
    bust -40
    waist - 49.5
    hips - 58.5

I need new measurements as those were almost 10# ago...

(I must add that I am not currently working on any of these goals actively because I broke my foot two weeks ago... but as soon as I have clearance you bet your sweet bippy I will be out there sweating)

It's not the fact that I am sadden by the fact that I haven't reached my goals, it's the stagnation that kills me. Seeing no progress for literally months. Just last month, I was fasting during Ramadan and ate little as possible, but only lost water weight. My friend lost more 50lb in 6 months what I lost in a year, knowing full well that you had more dedication than him.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Have you mixed up your work outs? Don't get stagnant doing same routine. Do not give up, you can do this, feel free to add me as a friend if you want. My name is Norm.
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    It's not the fact that I am sadden by the fact that I haven't reached my goals, it's the stagnation that kills me. Seeing no progress for literally months. Just last month, I was fasting during Ramadan and ate little as possible, but only lost water weight. My friend lost more 50lb in 6 months what I lost in a year, knowing full well that you had more dedication than him.

I don't know any way to change stagnation... you basically have to decide that what you are looking at in the mirror isn't what you want to see and then work toward changing it...

I know from personal experience that when I set goals that are unreachable (or difficult to reach) I tend to over react when I don't reach them... example... my goal was to lose 15# this month? well didn't happen... so I lost 8#? wasn't 15... ok 30,000 calorie binge every day for a week and now I gained 10# and I am past where I started... oh well this dieting is for the birds... I am done...

I have to evaluate my goals based on what motivates me... what works for me is "be the change you want to see" so whatever goal you set... you have to be that change...

so if your problem is a weight thing... see my earlier advice... if your problem is a exercise thing... see my earlier advice...