How long did it take for the hunger feelings to go away?

Options
13»

Replies

• namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    People may hate me but I didn't really struggle with hunger... but there is a reason. I drink 5-6 24oz glasses of tea during a 8hr work day and I am consistently over the daily fiber goal by 5-15 by getting in all my fruits/veggies.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Judging from your profile pic, you definitely don't look overweight. You look great. But...if that's not a true portrayal and you are hungry then perhaps you dropped too many calories too soon. I can't tell you what you might be doing wrong since I can't see your diary but here's what my trainer told me:

Multiply your current weight by 10 or 12 (10 if you have a lot to lose, 12 if it's just a few pounds) The number you get is how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current size. To lose weight, subtract no more than 200 or 300 (do not go under 1200). This is your daily calorie amount. You must eat this much or a little more. NOT LESS! On days you exercise, eat a bit more to fuel your body. You should get 30+ minutes of strength training 3 times a week and a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week. More is better with cardio. You should eat breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Spacing your meals this way keeps your metabolism going. Try for 40% carbs (NO WHITE STARCHES), 30% protein (lean), 30% fat (good fats).

I'm only 5 feet tall, 159 pounds and 42 yrs old. I want to lose 40 pounds. This is the advice he gave me. You can try it. He made it sound like a pretty general formula for MOST people. At least, it's a place to start and you can tweak your program to what's best for you.

Good luck!

edited to add: Drink LOTS of water!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some meals still leave me feeling ravenous not matter how big the portion, so I avoid them: soups, vegetarian salads,

OH my goodness yes!! This is so true. I used to date a bodybuilder who insisted that you can fill up on veggies. He insisted I was just mental/lacked willpower when I told him that's not true for me.

I can eat a HUGE mixing bowl full of salad and NOT feel full. But if I add some hard boiled egg or some tuna, THEN I feel full. That protein really helps my body. Every body is different.
  • SailorJerrysRum
    Options
    Subway sandwiches (why??).
    Me too! I'll have a footlong and 20 minutes later I'm still unsatified, yet a teeny burger and small fries with hold me over for 4 hours.

As for the OP's question, depending on how bad your original diet it could be days, weeks, months, even years. I was and sometimes still am a person that eats as a hobby. I still have trouble with accepting my new portions, and I'm two month in the game. Yet I see people who had it much worse than me and they are skating by faster, so it's mental also.

A lot more fat in the burger and fries. Fat and protein will make you feel full longer.
    perhaps I should get extra mayo and olive oil?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt ignore legitimate hunger. Ever.

I would have a pretty strong argument that almost no one on this site knows what that means.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just to preface, I'm not one of the angry people! :)

I started my journey in May this year, and I still have days where I'm hungry all day. I try to stay within my calorie goals, but I refuse to go to bed starving. Yesterday was one of those days actually, and before I went to bed I had a banana with PB and felt much better. Went over my cals a little, but I was under for a few days previously, but it all worked out.

The first 6 weeks or so was really hard. It's so insanely hard to break life-long eating habits. Now, even though it's only 5 months later, it's like second nature to be healthy. I've lost about 14lbs since May, so it's going slowly, but creating new habits is the MOST important part. The weight is consistently coming off (after a 1 month plateau in August, I just did a little readjusting) and I set mini goals for myself along the way.

Bottom line, eat when your hungry, but just try to eat something that will benefit you and keep you full. Protein helps a LOT, and you can search the message boards for "protein ideas" to help when you're making your grocery list. Of course lots of water too. But really, most important thing is willpower. You just gotta want it.