Only 1lb off this week and feeling disappointed

Options
13»

Replies

• plinkityplonk
    Options
    OK STOP STOP STOP!!!!

Lets just stop for a second and look at the bigger picture. You have lost a whopping 6lbs in 2 weeks!!!!! Thats huge. If you had lost 3lbs in your first week and 3lbs in your second week you wouldnt be writing this post would you.

Just keep doing what your doing

:)

When you put it like that it makes total sense. No I wouldn't be writing this is I'd lost 3 and 3 and I know it's same difference. Thanks :)
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    I'm trying to follow 30 day shred which means no rest day unless I turn it into like a 40 day shred. So far i have missed one day of the shred but it was because I went swimming and didn't get home til late and was tired having just swum a mile so I figured it was ok! Really felt it the next day though when I went back to the shred.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It appears that you are doing very well. Do not look at the 1 pound...just keep on doing what you have been. You don't want the weight to come off quickly. If you do lose quickly then there is a good possibility that you will re-gain it.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to follow 30 day shred which means no rest day unless I turn it into like a 40 day shred. So far i have missed one day of the shred but it was because I went swimming and didn't get home til late and was tired having just swum a mile so I figured it was ok! Really felt it the next day though when I went back to the shred.

30 day shred is NOT intended to be done 30 days straight. Everyone NEEDS rest days. You can hurt yourself if you do it 30 days straight. The whole 30 days (ten on each level) should take you more like 40 days....take a day off every 3 days or so...on that day you can do yoga, stretching, and go for a walk if you feel lazy not doing anything, but don't do the video every single day....
  • greggoll
    greggoll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 63 since january. My routine now is 500 cal/day workout with a 1430 cal/day intake, suggested by MFP. I usually try to stay right at 1200 cal/day if i can, though.....
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You aren't gaining so a pound is good. Any loss is good.
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    30 day shred is NOT intended to be done 30 days straight. Everyone NEEDS rest days. You can hurt yourself if you do it 30 days straight. The whole 30 days (ten on each level) should take you more like 40 days....take a day off every 3 days or so...on that day you can do yoga, stretching, and go for a walk if you feel lazy not doing anything, but don't do the video every single day....

OK I feel less guilty about missing that one day then. I thought it was supposed to be a 30 day intensive program so no rest days. I have noticed an improvement in my performance since day 1 but it's still very hard!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're SUPPOSED to be losing a pound a week. Trust me, it adds up over time. Be patient.

I saw a great graph here a while back on how you lose weight over time.

The first week is all water.
    The second week it is mostly muscle and some fat with a bit of water.
    The longer you go on, the more fat (assuming you exercise).

So in some ways the first week is somewhat illusionary. But the longer you restrict, the more real it is.
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    Don't feel disappointed about it, I only weigh myself every month because I feel that weekly or 2 weekly would put me down alot if I didn't loose! Try not to think about the Ibs coming off but think about the inches you loose or how your clothes feel on you. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You may want to read the information in the stickies at the top of this forum and re-calculate your numbers. Even with a sedentary lifestyle - which you do not have if you are working out as much as you are - your BMR is showing around 1994 when I plug in your data. At 1400 calories (which you are under and even less because of your workout) you are not even hitting your BMR. This will eventually lead to stalling out on your weight loss.
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    You may want to read the information in the stickies at the top of this forum and re-calculate your numbers. Even with a sedentary lifestyle - which you do not have if you are working out as much as you are - your BMR is showing around 1994 when I plug in your data. At 1400 calories (which you are under and even less because of your workout) you are not even hitting your BMR. This will eventually lead to stalling out on your weight loss.

Thanks. I'm still trying to get my head round all the numbers etc as it all confuses me quite a bit. I think I'm eating quite far below my BMR consistently which I know is bad but I'm not sure how to healthily up the numbers. It's early days though so I'm sure I'll figure it out. I need someone to just tell me what to eat and when and I'll be fine!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You haven't lost "only" 1lb. You've lost one, hefty pound of fat!

mypetfat.jpg

LOVE this and was going to post it if someone else hadn't already
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm still trying to get my head round all the numbers etc as it all confuses me quite a bit. I think I'm eating quite far below my BMR consistently which I know is bad but I'm not sure how to healthily up the numbers. It's early days though so I'm sure I'll figure it out. I need someone to just tell me what to eat and when and I'll be fine!

I upped mine gradually about 200 calories every couple of weeks from 1200 - 1700. Didn't gain an ounce doing it and now I'm losing nicely again. You can just start having an extra snack - a toast with PB, some nuts, a couple pieces of fruit - I've been known to have a little scoop of ice cream, which hasn't stopped me losing almost @10 lbs per month without working out at all.

You could also try less workouts, which will have the same effect since you will be closer to your BMR without having to eat back exercise calories. This was the hardest thing for me to try to figure out how to shove an extra 500 - 800 calories in for dinner when I was exercising and was always feeling full and bloated from all the water I drink.

As far as what to eat, just start with 'better' choices. Its not realistic to go from having McDonalds frequently to eating just raw foods and salads (some people can but I wasn't one of them) You don't have to make all the changes at one time - actually the slower you change the more likely you will be to maintain the lifestyle long term.

Don't get frustrated. It takes time and it's something completely new for most of us! So don't expect that you will know everything right away but I'd recommend looking around here - reading stickies and educating yourself. Unfortunately no one is going to be able to do this for you even if it would be nice to have someone tell you exactly what to do , what to eat and when :) Just to make it harder..what works for one person may not even work for someone else so it's basically a trial and error thing to find something that works for you. Good Luck!
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    I haven't drastically changed what I'm eating to be honest - I've always eaten fairly healthily (not lots of McDonalds or anything!). What I have done is start to monitor what I'm eating and log it so I can keep a check on it and also control my portions more as I think my portions were too big before. In fact I know they were. I did eat quite a bit of chocolate (and crisps!) which I've cut back on dramatically but still allowing myself a little bit now and then (it WAS every day).

The big thing I've changed is exercise - I've gone from pretty much none to exercising every day (and actually enjoying it sometimes!) and swimming twice a week (which I really enjoy).

What I am going to find hard is eating out as I love this but have no idea how to log calories for something I haven't made myself.
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    Hi,

I have to reiterate the views of many of the people in this forum. 6lb in 2 weeks is a phenomenal result. Remember you are looking for an AVERAGE loss of 2lb a week, NOT that amount EVERY WEEK. Although many of us would like to see the steady fall at the predicted weight loss, the body simply does not work that way.

A couple of things to bear in mind.

1st, any NEW weight loss programme will ALWAYS see a much bigger INITIAL drop in weight than subsequent weeks. This is for several reasons. However, the main reason is because a healthier diet, where you watch sodium intake for example, will result in a great deal of excess fluid being lost. This ALWAYS happens at the start of any diet. I have seen some people loose up to 15lb on the first week of a diet (Although this is excessive).

During the initial stages of any diet change the body has to adjust to a great many metabolic changes. These increase as the starting level of weight increases. I think what you saw in week one was very much the combination of these two issues as well as any increase in exercise that you may have incorporated into your routine.

I will caution you on one thing, THAT I HAVE FOUND. This may not apply to everyone and I am sure that there are people out there that will disagree, as well as others who agree and studies supporting both views. However, I have found that doing the SAME exercise EVERY day, whilst having an immediate impact, does not support sustained weight loss. I have found that splitting exercise into different activities OR exercising more infrequently, (Say 3 times a week) is more effective than maintaining the exercise levels on a daily basis. There are two things which I believe support this view. If you continually do the same exercise your body becomes accustomed to doing it and it is less of a strain, so you then get caught in a vicious cycle of having to ever increase the level of exercise in order to get the same impact as doing half of what you were doing 6 months earlier.

Secondly, by having "Rest" days, or by changing the exercise to work on a different set of muscles, the rested ones have time to relax. That means, when you go back to those muscles to exercise the next time, you will find it as difficult as the previous time, so continue to loose weight. The gap or variation will vary for each person, some can exercise daily, and target different groups, which should have the same impact, others will rest completely and exercise the same groups. You need to find what works for you. I just thought that it is something that you should consider.

I cannot comment on your eating habits, as your diary is private, so cannot be seen by others who are not friends or have a key (I do not know if you use that system or not). That said, if you are keeping within the levels, you shouldn't be going far wrong.

Keep in mind that the MFP allowances can be on the generous side for exercise. I TRY not to have to rely on them for my calories. If I do, I RARELY use more than half. I think the best advice I can offer here is to check your calculations against several sites, then take the mean value for them all. If you find one that takes account of weight, that SHOULD be the closest to the MFP results, since calorie burn can often be weight dependent. Example. I went on a 3 mile walk with another MFP friend. They gained nearly 600 calories in exercise, I was under 400. That gives you an idea of what the variations weight can cause alone.

I have tried not to repeat to many of the issues covered by others but I will, along with others, say WELL DONE. Remember, keep looking to the AVERAGE and I do not think you will be much disappointed. :)
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    Thanks! I've made my diary public now and would welcome any feedback on it. I'm very new to this and still learning my way around everything so I'm sure it's not perfect but I hope it's not too bad.

Feeling a lot better about it since reading all these comments :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You may find your performance improves with rest days. Consider reading up on why they are important to your strength to help you feel better about them.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Losing a pound is great! The only thing I have noticed is that you tend to eat a lot of ham and also have had pork. Those things are high in sodium and that could be what is causing you to hold onto weight.

That being said... You will have weeks where you only lose a few tenths! As long as you are losing, you will be fine! Remember if it comes off too quick, then its more likely to find its way back to you!

Good luck! Dont rush it! It will be off before you know it!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Remember if you are working out that exercise builds muscle but you will be losing body fat. When I was a size 8, I weighed 125. When I was a size 2, I weighed 145. The difference was that I had more body fat when I weighed 125. You should be checking your measurements and your body fat. I have a scales at home that does my weight and body fat. It was only off 1% from the calliper test that I had done. Dont worry about the number on the scales so much.