30 Day Shred!!!!

Options
Hi All,

I've just completed day 3 of "30 Day Shred" and thought I'd see if there was anyone else out there doing it as well.

I have to say I have found it pretty intense so far and the muscle aches are bad (can barely climb stairs). I'm assuming this is due to me doing it correctly and that it will get easier.

If there is anyone else in the same boat as me I would love to hear how your finding it and any wisdom you may have on "The Shred" and how many calories a workout burns I seen on some website it was 133 per workout but they are so intense I would have thought this would have been more.

Love Gemma x

Replies

• Taundry
    Options
    Hi Gemma,

I am also on day 3 of the shred :smile: I've found my arms and shoulders are sooooo heavy, my legs are a little but not so much but i'm used to working my legs so figured this would be why.

I too find it quite intense when using the weights especially!

I'm not sure on calories burnt with it I read a couple of posts which said between 150 and 250 i've been putting 150 so I hope I haven't over estimated :sad:
  • Gemmax0902
    Gemmax0902 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey, no I think I'm under estimating the calories burned might amend it to 150 aswell just can't see it only being 133!!!!

If doing 30 mins of just dance 2 burns 250 calories I really think 30ds should burn more xx
  • Taundry
    Options
    I'm hoping to see some results soon :smile: certainly feels like it's doing something but I love seeing results but I'm a bit impatient and want to see results straight after lol x
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it and logged it as Calisthenics :)
  • discoqueen73
    Options
    ok feeling dumb but I am a newbie............what is a 30 day shred?? :noway:
  • Frenchyken89
    Frenchyken89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ok feeling dumb but I am a newbie............what is a 30 day shred?? :noway:

It's a Jillian Michaels work out DVD. :-)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I've just completed day 3 of "30 Day Shred" and thought I'd see if there was anyone else out there doing it as well.

I have to say I have found it pretty intense so far and the muscle aches are bad (can barely climb stairs). I'm assuming this is due to me doing it correctly and that it will get easier.

If there is anyone else in the same boat as me I would love to hear how your finding it and any wisdom you may have on "The Shred" and how many calories a workout burns I seen on some website it was 133 per workout but they are so intense I would have thought this would have been more.

Love Gemma x

I'm not doing it now, but have done it (and a few other Jillian DVDs as well). The aching should start to ease up, usually by day 4. You will probably get very sore again when you start level 2 and again with level 3, but same as this one, it will pass after a few days. Just keep going. Amazing results are there to be had. Some people don't lose a lot of weight, but they lose inches, so PLEASE take measurements and photos for comparison. You'll be glad you did. Even if you are the only one who looks at the photos, it's helpful because you will see differences, even if the scale doesn't move.

As far as calorie burn, the most common way people seem to enter it on MFP is as "circuit training, general." This is just an estimate for burn, and I sincerely recommend getting a good HRM (you can find a Polar FT4 or FT7 online for $60-$80 which may seem pricey, but to me the investment was worth it) because everyone's burn is different. 133 does seem a bit on the low side, but I would prefer to underestimate burn than overestimate it, myself. Best wishes to you!
  • emarose90
    Options
    Hi Gemma (and everyone!),

I'm also doing it - today will be day 6 for me. However, I've done it a couple of times before and I'm actually only going to be doing it for three weeks this time - I go on holiday on the 1st October and wanted to do something that I know helps me.

I moved on to level 2 on day 4 and find it a really good, intense workout. I love that you don't do anything for more than a minute, and the exercises are constantly changed so you don't get bored.

Looking forward to feeling better before putting those bikinis on...

Emma xx
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi! I did it in August. I got a HRM when I was almost done, but in level 3 I was burning 270-350 cals (including warm-up and cool down) depending on how hard I worked. I remember the day I burned 270 I wasn't feeling well but pushed through it anyway, so I didn't work as hard as usual. Calorie burn is SO varied depending on the person so your burn might be different. I am 5'8" and was about 165lbs when I was using my HRM during 30 Day Shred.

YES those first few days are SO painful! I just kept pushing though, and I'm really happy with the results. I lost about 6lbs and lots of inches, and I had great tone. Now I'm doing a crazy hybrid of Ripped in 30 (another Jillian circuit DVD), ballet class, cardio DVDs on youtube, and I'll be starting some P90X cardio stuff next week.

Keep going! It helps to yell at Jillian sometimes :)
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see so many others doing 30 Day Shred! I am going to start Day one of level 3 today (EEEKK!). I just did day 9 of level 2... but i'm ready to move onto level 3 now (and i can always do that 'missing' day of level 2 at the end too :D).

I'm just ready to move onto the next level. I loved level 1 because it was such a great workout (i HATED the kick backs and...skip rope together was it? that always killed me! lol) and i loved level 2 even MORE!

Here's my stats so far:

I did my before weight and measurements on August 26th (i started the 30DS on August 27th)

Start Weight: 158
    Current Weight: 152
    -5 lbs down so far!

Start Waist: 36.5 in
    Current Waist: 32
    -4.5 inches down so far

Start Hips: 38.5
    Current Hips: 37
    - 1.5 in down

Start arms: 13.5
    Current arms: 12.5
    - 1 in down

Start legs: 23.5
    Current legs: 21.5
    - 2 in down

- this is the first of me actually comparing weight and measurements and since August 26th...and i'm just amazed!! LOL
  • Gemmax0902
    Gemmax0902 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    arrawyn79 - That is amazing results hope I can achieve the same!!
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the 30 day shred! I also use a HRM to track my calories and for just level 1 I have been burning 150 to 180 calories a workout. My question is that due to medical issues and an extreemely busy schedule, I have not been able to do it every single day. When I miss a day, do I still count it as one of the 30 days or should I just count the days that I am actually doing the work outs and the "30 days" will just take me a little longer? I don't want to stay on level 1 for too long, but I don't want to be skipping days either. What do you guys think?

-Katie

P.S. arrawyn79, you have convinced me to start doing my measurements as well! I wish I did them when I started cuz the scale has not been kind to me lately :(
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day for the 30 DS. I wore a heart rate monitor and it read 176 calories burned. There are so many factors that will effect your heart rate (like weight), that knowing what someone burned doesn't mean much. I think for your best estimate if you don't have a HRM, is to plug in Circuit.

Good luck! Yesterday I watched the DVD and thought that it didn't look too bad. LOL! I found it to be tough, but I got through it.
  • katwilsonxox
    Options
    today was day one of 30ds .I am 308lbs so i started with out the weights and i thought i would pass out at one point but i once heard gillian say if you dont pass out or vomit keep going so i did ...i hope tomorrow is easyer.
  • Neecie910
    Neecie910 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 4 today (YAY me!!!) it definitely gets easier after the first few days... I am was not as sore yesterday as I was the previous 2 day and I worked harder and took only 1 break (but it was longer than 5 seconds :happy:, probably about 15).

I was finally convinced to take measurements last night :frown: so pending the results of this 'shred' I may share. I should have decent results since I am also eating healthier.

Good luck to you!!!! :wink:
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    I am on Level 1 - Day 5 today, and I was amazed at the intensity! I just finished RI30 last week, so I assumed that Level 1 would be easy. I use 3 lbs dumbbells every other day (and do Kickboxing FastFix the same day), and only use 2 lbs when I just Shred.

I think it is better to use a lighter weight when doing this workout, especially if you don't want to be as sore. You will still get wonderful results, and your body will not retain as much fluid. Great way to see a lower number on the scale using lighter weights and being less sore! However, I still do modified versions of most of the exercises in it, but do push myself with the ab work and cardio. It took me a month to be able to do the Cardio with ease. I started off being out of breath with only 15 seconds of Jumping Jacks my first week of Ripped in 30. Now, I can actually do more than 2 minutes if I choose to, but of course I just follow the DVD.

I can feel slight tenderness, and do feel it when I do the static lunges with bicep curls, but I am not sore the next day because I only go as far as I can comfortably. I am doing more of the advanced static lunges and squats because I have worked my way up to it.

My thoughts: LOVE IT! I don't believe you should push yourself too hard because you will still get results without being sore! You don't have to feel pain to gain! If you are sore, eat protein, drink water, and munch on some cherries (they help with soreness!!) Vary your weights by using heavier (not too heavy though! You still want to be able to complete the circuit!) one day, and light the next (at least a pound or 2 less than heavier)... Take measurements and pics, and if you are tired or sick, give your body rest! Listen to your body!!! If you push yourself too hard, you can injure yourself in the long run, which will hinder you by preventing you to work out and reach your goals sooner. :)

Have fun Shredding!!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 2 weeks and moved onto Level 2 after a week. I am really enjoying (most of!) it but haven't yet seen any reduction on the scales so am hoping for something to show on the tape measure at some point. I have noticed a massive difference in my strength already so it certainly must be doing some good. It's a great DVD and is so fast moving that you cannot possibly get bored! I log it as circuit training or high-impact aerobics, as suggested by other mfp friends x
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    today was day one of 30ds .I am 308lbs so i started with out the weights and i thought i would pass out at one point but i once heard gillian say if you dont pass out or vomit keep going so i did ...i hope tomorrow is easyer.

Try getting used to the form before adding weights. If you must add weights, just use 1 lb. Also, make sure you are breathing! Exhale every time you contract a muscle, and inhale when you aren't contracting. When you do cardio, always exhale! Don't hold your breath or you just may pass out! Don't go their pace, either! Go at your own pace with every exercise, comfortably! As long as you are still moving (even if you have to walk in place), you will keep burning off calories. If you feel your heart is going to burst out of your chest, slow it down!!! That is too high of an intensity to be exercising. Using a Heart rate monitor is very helpful. You want to keep your heart rate in your Target zone. Keeping it in your Target zone will give you the most results and will keep you healthy during a workout. You can google "Target Heart Rate charts" and find many online. Read them and find out what your heart rate should be. Stay within that range because you will burn fat more effectively keeping within the range. If you feel dizzy or faint, stop. You can overexert yourself (like I did about a week ago) and it will keep you from being able to exercise for a little while. It's not a good feeling to be hugging the toilet because your heart rate went up too high... Good luck!! I know you will do well. Just be careful and take it easy, and definitely keep it at your own pace! :)
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    I am also doing the 30 day shred! I also use a HRM to track my calories and for just level 1 I have been burning 150 to 180 calories a workout. My question is that due to medical issues and an extreemely busy schedule, I have not been able to do it every single day. When I miss a day, do I still count it as one of the 30 days or should I just count the days that I am actually doing the work outs and the "30 days" will just take me a little longer? I don't want to stay on level 1 for too long, but I don't want to be skipping days either. What do you guys think?

-Katie

P.S. arrawyn79, you have convinced me to start doing my measurements as well! I wish I did them when I started cuz the scale has not been kind to me lately :(

Take as long as you want to with the Shred. Some people do it in just 30 days, while others have taken a week or even a month or two longer. If you are not ready to move up to the next level, do it when you can. Even Jillian suggests moving up when you are ready. I think it is wise to take rest days. You will still get results, especially since you are giving your body time to adjust to it! :)
  • 1toInfinity
    1toInfinity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have done it twice. I am starting it again but I am doing it with 6 week 6 Pack so I will do it every other day. But I burned 242 calories when I did level 1 a few days ago. I am 5'2 140ish pounds (Haven't weighed in a few weeks). I have had great results with the shred. I lost 6lbs and 12 inches the first time in Novemeber 2010 and then 8lbs and 9in in May 2012. I was much samller when I did it in May and I also added more Cardio.

I am recently starting back exercise after a 3 month break. So the Shred is the best place for me to start.