Almond Milk: Sweetened vs. Unsweetened?

Options
I want your opinion. I started MFP using unsweetened almond milk in everything: coffee, oatmeal, smoothies, cereal, etc. Lately I've been using sweetened almond milk in my coffee and oatmeal since I needed a little sweet flavor in those anyway. Usually I would have added honey (I don't like splenda or stevia). I barely see anyone talking about the sweetened almond milk around here, it's always the unsweetened kind that seems to be what everyone loves. I want your opinions on this: which one do you use/prefer and why? Which one is better when you want a little sweet flavor in something?

Replies

• LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If I want sweet, Id rather it come from berries, either fresh or frozen.

When I make my protein shakes, I use unsweetened almond milk, my designer whey chocolate protein powder and frozen raspberries (they are as-is, no sugar), and it makes the most amazing Chocolate Raspberry shake EVER!

I like the fact that unsweetened almond milk doesnt give me that filmy feeling... its light and very refreshing... but the sweet from the raspberries is just AWESOME

(EDIT: My coffee though, I use light cream)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I always use the unsweetened. It seems sweet enough on it's own. I can't drink cow milk after tasting the almond. I love it so much more.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use both of them. I prefer the unsweet because it's fewer calories, but I use the sweet in my coffee or baking, and my husband only likes the sweet, which is still bound to be healthier than cows milk.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened almond milk, which I LOVE. But, I don't like it in my coffee, not enough flavor for me, so if I were to switch from regular flavored creamer to almond milk, it would be sweetened.
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i prefer the unsweetened almond milk in my oatmeal and smoothies. i never add sugar or other sweeteners. i sweeten them with fruits or ripe frozen bananas for smoothies.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened because I let the natural sweetness from fruit and stuff take over. Keeps me from craving too much other sweet stuff!
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like Silk Pure Almond Original as opposed to the Vanilla or Unsweetened flavors. The Original is still sweet and tastes great in coffee, oatmeal, or by itself as a snack. Plus, it's low cal and has lots of calcium! Just make sure your are getting protein somewhere else in your diet, since Silk almond milk only contains 1 gram per serving!

(I also drink Silk Organic Unsweetened Soy. It is only 80 calories per serving and contains 7 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, and 30% of your daily calcium per serving. I think it tastes great in coffe and oatmeal too, however, not as good by itself.)
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a difference really. Use which ever you prefer. It's Almond Milk and the calorie difference is only 30-40 depending on what you get. It's more of a preference.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened just because it has fewer calories. I like it just as much, so why not spare myself an additional 50 calories.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    When I first tried almond milk I used the sweetened but the next time I got it I got the unsweetened. For what I use it for (oatmeal, cereal, shakes), I don't need the added sugar that the sweetened provides. I don't usually prefers things all that sweet anyway.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Almond Beeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk... and it's plenty sweet enough for me :) I go with unsweetened because I have some serious sugar-craving issues and I'm nervous that the sweetened will trigger thoughts about cookies all day long for me!
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My personal preference is Silk Pure Almond Original unsweetened.
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I mostly use almond milk in cereal or oatmeal, and the sweetened version is just waaaaay too sweet for me. I exclusively drink the unsweetened version, and if I need some sweetener, I'll put some blueberries or some other fruit in.

I do, however, like to drink the dark chocolate almond milk as a dessert.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla. I asked my fiance to buy it for me once and he got the sweetened one on accident (ugh, men!) and while it was absolutely delicious, I didn't even drink half of the carton because it's TOO sweet. I would just take a sip if i had a sweet tooth because it's like liquid dessert!
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always buy unsweetened. I rarely drink it alone, so the taste doesn't bother me. I find the unsweetened one is useful in more applications and has fewer carbs.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened because it tastes much better to me than sweetened. Besides, I don't pour sugar in cow's milk. Why would I want it in almond milk?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I always get sweetened... but I never drink it by itself. I always put it IN things like oatmeal or coffee. I've never gotten unsweetened... I'm sure it's just fine..
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened. The sweetened ones are icky.
  • careyannal
    Options
    I usually use unsweetened for my cereal. Well I ran out this week and used moo cow milk, and it tasted REALLY SWEET to me. It was so strange!!