Addicted to avocados...

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I adore avocados. They are so fantastic!

I say if it fits in your calories/macros enjoy. There are much worse things containing that much fat you could be eating.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one to love them!!
    I have changed my view of eating them, I was afraid of the calories and fats, but as I have learned more about them, I realized what a benefit in nutritional value to my diet!
    Luckily, they are inexpensive where I live!
    Thanks for posting on this addiction!!
  • Nina1007
    Options
    Yes I agree. I loooove avocados. I eat em all the time and have even introduced em to people who thought they'd never like em but they ended up loving em!!

I would eat a little bit everyday but probably not a whole one everyday just because the fat content in one does not fit into my daily intake.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Google it.
    Avocadvos have about 28 grams of fat in them. Which will be for some people most or half their daily intake in fat

I find avocados vary in size considerably. Small ones, medium ones, large ones. Often a small one seems to be the same amount of avocado as half a large one.
  • Kittenbit
    Kittenbit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I adore them and have one most days. I buy the baby avocados when I can get them. One is the perfect size for breakfast smooshed onto some good quality wholegrain bread with a squeeze of lemon juice and some black pepper. It keeps me going so much longer than anything else.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Its the amount of fat. While it is the healthy version of fat, it is still fat. It will bump up your fat intake

So?

The public has been duped far too long that all fat is bad or that it makes us fat. Healthy fats such as avocados should not be avoided, and most people need to increase their intake. Check out my macros, my diary is open. I eat mostly fat, then protein, then carbs. Yeah, I'm losing lots of weight, but better than that all my health problems have vanished. Health problems including pre-diabetes, depression, anxiety, food addiction, binging, fatigue, dizziness, neurological issues, bloating, indigestion, acid reflux, etc etc.

By all means, eat avocados! They are a super food. If one is worried about the macros, MFP has protein and fat set far too low imo, but we can change our goals to match what fits for us as individuals.

I feel fuller when I eat a fat-based diet, I have no cravings or binging as long as I avoid grains. I don't need to eat a lot to "fill up". When I was WW years ago and was following their low fat insanity, it was torture and I was sick, and I was eating far more food than now (pastas, crackers, bread, no fat, then stuffing myself with fruit and veggies). My body is still damaged. Go figure.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Its the amount of fat. While it is the healthy version of fat, it is still fat. It will bump up your fat intake

So?

The public has been duped far too long that all fat is bad or that it makes us fat. Healthy fats such as avocados should not be avoided, and most people need to increase their intake. Check out my macros, my diary is open. I eat mostly fat, then protein, then carbs. Yeah, I'm losing lots of weight, but better than that all my health problems have vanished. Health problems including pre-diabetes, depression, anxiety, food addiction, binging, fatigue, dizziness, neurological issues, bloating, indigestion, acid reflux, etc etc.

By all means, eat avocados! They are a super food. If one is worried about the macros, MFP has protein and fat set far too low imo, but we can change our goals to match what fits for us as individuals.

I feel fuller when I eat a fat-based diet, I have no cravings or binging as long as I avoid grains. I don't need to eat a lot to "fill up". When I was WW years ago and was following their low fat insanity, it was torture and I was sick, and I was eating far more food than now (pastas, crackers, bread, no fat, then stuffing myself with fruit and veggies). My body is still damaged. Go figure.

Good post. I agree.
  • nurselak
    Options
    I love:

Wholly Guacamole - 100 Calorie Snack Packs-Classic Flavor, 1 pouch (57g)

100 calories

5 carbs

8 fat

1 protein

I usually have on my sliced turkey sandwich! Yummy! And this always fills me up!! ENJOY your avocados!
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Looove avocado. Good for lowering cholesterol.
  • Nina1007
    Options
    I love:

Wholly Guacamole - 100 Calorie Snack Packs-Classic Flavor, 1 pouch (57g)

100 calories

5 carbs

8 fat

1 protein

I usually have on my sliced turkey sandwich! Yummy! And this always fills me up!! ENJOY your avocados!

Yes these r fricken awesome!!!!!!
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You're meant to have no more than an eigth a day but I have a quarter. I wouldn't recommend more than that a day.

Who exactly decides what we're "meant" to have ?
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    I love avocados, they keep me YOUNG! :)
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! As long as you're not eating 3 a day or something you'll be fine.
    I eat 3 ounces of avocado a day and I'm still alive. (in fact my hair looks shinier than ever)
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Avocado is one of my top 10 favorite foods; I probably eat 3-4 per week. My favorite way to eat them is simply cubed and tossed with lime juice, minced fresh chiles, minced cilantro, and a pinch of salt or Goya adobo seasoning. I also like Peruvian Causa (cold potato layered with avocado and chicken/tuna/crabmeat salad, dressed with chile-based condiment).
  • jesshayl1
    jesshayl1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Everything in moderation! Enjoy a little each day! Don't deprive yourself. An addiction to avocado is better than an addiction to something else that's way worse for you!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    1 medium Hass avocado in the mfp database is 23 grams of fat. almost all of that is healthy fats.
    How much of that you can eat in one day would vary with macro goals, but it would be very filling,
    so even if you're on a low fat 'diet' it would be wise to include them, not to mention all their other benefits.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The public has been duped far too long that all fat is bad or that it makes us fat. Healthy fats such as avocados should not be avoided, and most people need to increase their intake. Check out my macros, my diary is open. I eat mostly fat, then protein, then carbs.

I chose my personal physician because of his interest in wellness and weight loss for cardio patients. He had me and his other patients on reduced-fat diets, then he had an epiphany after research and started recommending reduced-carb living. I was skeptical, but went along with it ... and it works. I eat mostly protein and then fat, and make my carbs high-fiber. I also strictly limit sugar and refined carbs (like white flour).

One of the huge advantages of healthy fats for me is satisfaction: an avocado is very satisfying, and I feel less hungry when I eat one. Healthy living is about behavior as well as what you eat ... if I feel hungry all the time, or dislike the taste of fat-free ice milk, I'm not inclined to maintain healthy choices long term. I seldom feel very hungry, and I enjoy the things I eat (including avocado, and a couple of squares of Ghirardelli Intense Dark chocolate for dessert from time to time.

This is for me about lifestyle changes ... I'm in this for the long haul, and I don't believe "diets" work. Life is meant to be enjoyed, and that includes food.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

So?

Are you sure you're not me? I could have written this post in every single way!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Had one with my roast chicken breast and veggies for dinner.
    I have 2 or 3 a week and hasn't done me any harm.
    They are packed with nutrients, I see no issue with the sort of fat in them, and sooner have an avocado than many other options.
    Depends if it fits, I guess. I can eat over 2000 calories a day to maintain so I have no issue fitting one in.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Avocados are a wonderful food. They are one of the few foods that have liver-protecting qualities (they help your body to make glutathione--very important to the detoxification pathways in the liver). I eat 1/2 to 2/3 of one every day. :smile: