paxil and weight gain?!

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    After a life-shattering event 5 years ago I was on Effexor XR. I actually lost a lot of weight because I don't think it was quite cutting my depression but I was terrified of going to a higher dose (I work in the pharma industry).

I ended up having to quit quite suddenly instead of tapering off as recommended due to circumstances beyond my (and my physician's) control... This is when I starting gaining lots of weight, and it messed me up pretty bad (both mentally and physically). I definitely would not recommend doing this, nor would I do it myself again.

Pay attention to your side effects, but definitely discuss any changes you want to make/plan to make with your physician. You have to decide (together) what is important for you. And if your doctor is not willing to work with you, it's time to find a new one.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I saw a post hear that tried to debate the use of medications. I just want to remind you, you know what has worked for you. Don't let people make you feel bad for taking medication to help you get to a place of contentment and control. People who have never dealt with issues like these, don't realise how dibilitating (spelling??) it can be.

I am not anti-medication, and would never judge anyone for wanting help. All drugs have risks and benefits. (Benzodiazepines like Ativan have a longer track record and are better understood.)

I do think SSRIs are bad drugs. As Cindy said, the studies supporting them have all been short-term, on doses that are often far less than what winds up being prescribed. Patients have been guinea pigs for years, shifted from one drug to another. For a long time, side effects were dismissed as being part of whatever it was that caused help-seeking initially. There have been class-action lawsuits for a reason. (Many reasons.)

Also. I dare anyone to find a neuropsychologist who can explain *exactly*, biochemically, endocrinologically, what SSRIs do (their precise effects on other neurotransmitters than the ones targeted, etc).
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have to say, we are all usually on these meds for a reason. Getting off of them for weight loss may create other, even worse, issues.

Lots of assumptions packed into this, all can be challenged. Diagnosis of mental illnesses & disorders is very unlike diagnosis of eg diabetes. The process couldn't be more subjective.

In fact the evidence suggests that SSRIs are only really useful, long-term, for people with very severe depression. The people, in other words, who'd actually benefit from electroshock therapy.
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045

Exercise has an excellent evidence base to support its role as an effective mood regulator. Anyone interested can look into it, but
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

SSRIs are meant to treat depression, but instead, they increase risk of suicidal ideation and action. To treat anxiety, but cause irritability. To increase participation in life, but cause apathy. To treat insomnia, but cause insomnia.

There are better ways to cope.

edit: yes, discontinuing too quickly can totally cause problems. Second paxilprogress.org for help (people on there are weaning from a range of SSRIs). See also
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/healy.htm

There are articles and journals for every topic under the sun. There will always be a range of opinions. I feel you are quite clear on where your opinion lies. But that leads me to ask if you have ever truly dealt with severe mental issues, and/or ever needed medication to help cope? I really doubt it.

So, from someone who has been through some pretty f'n serious stuff, and am now finally finding myself and am finally in a place where i can cope - your judgement just frustrates me. Did I want to have to use medication? NO. Did I want to go and have to talk about horrible things to a complete stranger? No. BUT I also didn't want to suffer anymore. Would I have made through without these things? No! I tried, for a long time - it just got worse. For some people, in some cases, this is what works.

You don't need to understand - it is NOT YOUR LIFE.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on Zoloft. Gained on lexapro but I did eventually lose it. I haven't taken Paxil but even if it might make weight loss more difficult than usual- you can over come it.

I gained 10 lbs right away on lexapro. My appetite increased extraordinarily. Of course I was also super depressed too. Gaining weight while on it..didn't help but I stuck with it. Kept chugging along with my exercises and tried to watch what i ate. Sometimes i was successful. Other times I wasn't at all. Eventually things evened out and I stopped gaining. The med started to work and I felt better...feeling better then led me to particpating more in life. That lead to more energy, that lead to better workouts, better eating choices and weight lost.

You are on paxil for a reason. If it helps you emotionally...take it. Just like I took lexapro. Maybe it will cause weight gain intially but ride it out. Let your body get used to it. Exercise despite it..even if you do see weight gain. Try to make better choices even if the better choices still stick with ya for a while. Eventually your body will reach equilibirum. Yes I believe these drugs do cause weight gain..but we can also get that control back.
  • sherisse69
    Options
    I saw a post hear that tried to debate the use of medications. I just want to remind you, you know what has worked for you. Don't let people make you feel bad for taking medication to help you get to a place of contentment and control. People who have never dealt with issues like these, don't realise how dibilitating (spelling??) it can be.

I am not anti-medication, and would never judge anyone for wanting help. All drugs have risks and benefits. (Benzodiazepines like Ativan have a longer track record and are better understood.)

I do think SSRIs are bad drugs. As Cindy said, the studies supporting them have all been short-term, on doses that are often far less than what winds up being prescribed. Patients have been guinea pigs for years, shifted from one drug to another. For a long time, side effects were dismissed as being part of whatever it was that caused help-seeking initially. There have been class-action lawsuits for a reason. (Many reasons.)

Absolutely agreed - it is risky and very scary not knowing what the long term effects could be. But, I know for me - I had to choose to take the risk. I don't mean to come off as rude, that is not my intention. I just wanted to make sure that she (OP) didn't feel ashamed for being on medication. I know I was at first - BECAUSE OF opinions like yours.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I have to say, we are all usually on these meds for a reason. Getting off of them for weight loss may create other, even worse, issues.

Lots of assumptions packed into this, all can be challenged. Diagnosis of mental illnesses & disorders is very unlike diagnosis of eg diabetes. The process couldn't be more subjective.

In fact the evidence suggests that SSRIs are only really useful, long-term, for people with very severe depression. The people, in other words, who'd actually benefit from electroshock therapy.

Exercise has an excellent evidence base to support its role as an effective mood regulator. Anyone interested can look into it, but

SSRIs are meant to treat depression, but instead, they increase risk of suicidal ideation and action. To treat anxiety, but cause irritability. To increase participation in life, but cause apathy. To treat insomnia, but cause insomnia.

edit: yes, discontinuing too quickly can totally cause problems. Second paxilprogress.org for help (people on there are weaning from a range of SSRIs). See also

There are articles and journals for every topic under the sun. There will always be a range of opinions. I feel you are quite clear on where your opinion lies. But that leads me to ask if you have ever truly dealt with severe mental issues, and/or ever needed medication to help cope? I really doubt it.

So, from someone who has been through some pretty f'n serious stuff, and am now finally finding myself and am finally in a place where i can cope - your judgement just frustrates me. Did I want to have to use medication? NO. Did I want to go and have to talk about horrible things to a complete stranger? No. BUT I also didn't want to suffer anymore. Would I have made through without these things? No! I tried, for a long time - it just got worse. For some people, in some cases, this is what works.

I'm glad you're in a better place. Truly.

But, sorry, you're making a lot of assumptions here. Yes, I have had some effing problems, serious ones, which I'm not about to dredge up to prove my experiential authority.

My judgement is not of the individuals seeking treatment. My judgement is of the pharmaceutical companies that rush a drug to market; of the FDA, which ignored null-hypothesis studies, and academic journals that did the same because of publication bias, and the ways the current model and practice of psychology has supported all of it. (Take a look at the debate around the DSM-5, if you want a sense of what's actually going on.)
  • sherisse69
    Options

I'm glad you're in a better place. Truly.

But, sorry, you're making a lot of assumptions here. Yes, I have had some effing problems, serious ones, which I'm not about to dredge up to prove my experiential authority.

My judgement is not of the individuals seeking treatment. My judgement is of the pharmaceutical companies that rush a drug to market; of the FDA, which ignored null-hypothesis studies, and academic journals that did the same because of publication bias, and the ways the current model and practice of psychology has supported all of it. (Take a look at the debate around the DSM-5, if you want a sense of what's actually going on.)

Fair enough. I don't mean to turn this into a debate - the OP is looking for suggestions and I feel that we are now just taking up space - so I will respect your opinion, and I will check out the DSM-5 debate. I am sure it will be very enlightening.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    All meds are a trade off. You get super nasty cancer meds because the alternative is dying.
    Also, we never know the long term side affects of any med until we've experienced the "long term."

Exercise has helped me off of my blood pressure meds. Changing my diet helped me off my ulcer meds. I'm working to find a healthy way off of my brain meds as well. But in the end, I have to be functional and I accept the risks and trade offs.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Fair enough. I don't mean to turn this into a debate - the OP is looking for suggestions and I feel that we are now just taking up space - so I will respect your opinion, and I will check out the DSM-5 debate. I am sure it will be very enlightening.

I apologize for turning my contributions into a diatribe - you`re right, this thread shouldn`t be a debate. It`s a difficult and heated subject, and I guess we all bring our experiences into it (I know I do). I appreciate your fair-mindedness, and regret that my phrasing of things was upsetting :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, my SSRI changed my life. I went from being anxious and quick to anger with every minor setback feeling like it was the end of the world to calm, well adjusted and generally able to deal with life. I did therapy before and it helped, but not enough. I learned to deal with my anger and ended up getting depressed instead. Had I gone on this medication 10 years ago, my life would be better in many ways.
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been on zoloft for 20 years untill taking them I never gained a pound and was always actually underweight and could eat anything I wanted (my whole family is this way) Since starting the zoloft over 15 years ago the pounds have crept on and to the point I got to 300 lbs and weight is so much harder to lose while on them. I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia and have tried replacing the zoloft with other medication and coming off the medication all together but I cant function without the because the panic attacks start coming many times a day and my life becomes more limited than it is already. I hope you find a soloution that works for you
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please talk to your doctor if you're considering stopping this type of pill. This goes to the OP and anyone else reading the thread.

Some people can have negative side effects to these pills (like weight gain), but if you stop suddenly, or without consulting a doctor, the effects can be disastrous and downright dangerous.
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    any suggestions for ppl who went off paxil and tried a different medication?
  • mechristina
    Options
    Try to eat healthy food and don't go for junk and outside food. so some Rest and try some natural or herbal drugs. or if possible keep fast it help a lot for your stomach and digestive system..
  • sherisse69
    Options

I apologize for turning my contributions into a diatribe - you`re right, this thread shouldn`t be a debate. It`s a difficult and heated subject, and I guess we all bring our experiences into it (I know I do). I appreciate your fair-mindedness, and regret that my phrasing of things was upsetting :)

Truce ;) All the best to you :)
  • kaclaire
    Options
    I gained weight on Paxil and it's one of the main reasons I stopped taking it. I've been off it for a couple of months and my weight still hasn't gone down (b/c I just started my weight loss program but still). It's such a bummer. I tried to talk to my doctor about how to manage the weight gain but she wasn't very helpful so I just stopped taking it.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    any suggestions for ppl who went off paxil and tried a different medication?

I was on Prozac for a little under a year I gained 80 lbs :(! I was then switched to Paxil which just made me a zombie all the time and didnt help with any weight loss (think I was on it for about 2 years). Then I was put on wellbutrin and had less side effects and started to see some weight loss. I am currenlty medication free for the last 2.5 years. I chose to get off meds because the side effects were just to much to handle for me :(

I have struggled with general anxiety/ocd and did do therapy for a little under 2 years while I was being taken off medications. I have noticed since being off medication that my anxiety/ocd does "act" up during certain times of year or certain stressors in my life but its managble for me. I do take a PRN for anxiety when its needed or I know an event is coming that will cause anxiety. My hope is you find a medication that will help with the anxiety and have less side effects :)
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I started having anxiety attacks about 3 months ago just alittle added stress of having 2 kiddos 3 1/2 and 10 months and trying to juggling a job household and a hubby..... some things that arent a big deal to some ppl affect me differently cuase i tend to obsess over stuff because i have OCD also.. lucky me lol! but now with this weight gain and not changing anything with my diet and lifestyle makes me upset and now i am tending to obsess about this now! vicious cycle... hopefully i can find a happy medium

i hear you.... i'm quite a bit older, not taking any meds, but have four children..and OCD so i know where you are at. juggling it all can seem simply like just TOO much. anyhow, a few months ago i started taking about 300-600 mg. of st. john's wart a day. it's not a miracle, but with no side effects that i can notice, it does really seem to help with my anxiety and moods. can't hurt to give it a shot. good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Look at your long chain omega-3 and magnesium intake.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different, this is why Paxil works well for some and Xanax works well for others etc. I have been through the ringer trying to find meds that work for me, my body is difficult to say the least! I tried Luvox for OCD and while it worked it made me feel nauseous. Luvox is also prescribed for depression and anxiety so it could be an option for you.

The one drug that works well for me is Prozac. As long as I maintain good eating habits and exercise regularly I have no difficulty with weight gain or losing weight. I should mention though that if you are like me, you will notice a HUGE difference between the different generic brands. For me, Sandoz is the ONLY brand of generic Prozac that I can take.

It is such a difficult game not only to find something that works well for you and to find something that doesn't have side effects or that has side effects that you can overlook. For me, the devastation that being "medication free" brings is not something I welcome so while medication free may be the right road for some people, it is not for me. If you are that way too, talk to your doctor and work with them to find a drug that works for you. It's important to understand that doctors have no way of measuring our neurotransmitters so finding a drug that will work for you is a matter of trial and error based on the symptoms that you are having. To share an example of this, my lower dose of Prozac was not as effective as it should have been, rather than increase it and risk the occurrence of side effects my Dr opted to combine it with Bupropion (Wellbutrin). The thing is that these are two different classes of drug. Prozac is an SSRI where Bupropion is an atypical antidepressant which affects norepinephrine as dopamine. Four days after beginning this combination I began to hear voices. The reason? Too much dopamine. My Dr. instructed me to stop the Bupropion immediately but it was only from that experience that we found out that my dopamine levels played no role in my depression.

Good luck and if you ever need to chat I'm here :)