Need some advice

Options
Ok so this weekend we are going to be on the road, visiting the bf's daughter. It's a five hour drive there and a five hour drive back. Normally, when we go down there and I'm on a diet, it really falls apart over these weekends, but I don't want to spend another week recovering from a bad weekend. Anyone have any tips on how to cope with 10 hours in a car, sleeping on a couch, being subjected to others grocery habits (who don't like to eat veggies) and surviving without gaining a ton of weight? Also, given five hours in the car, I can't pack a ton of stuff to take along, and generally end up chowing on fast food somewhere along the way.

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    when I travel I take a few protein bars with me to act as replacement meals, they don't take up much space at all in my purse or my bag. If I have to eat out at fast food I focus on picking the least damaging foods and maintain small portions, the same goes for eating at someone's house; I'm also not above going to a grocery store once I land at my destination and buying veg or salad to stick in their fridge.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I kind of thought protein bars would end up having to be my 'salvation' so to speak. Unfortunately. And buying some salad or such to eat while down there is a pretty good idea.

Thank you.
  • diva7531
    diva7531 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I pack a bag with me. I would also grab some items once I get there as well. dont think it rude or intrusive if you provide your own food. I had a bad weekend on labor day and afterwards I thought; NOT WORTH IT!!! Too hard to recover. My fav snacks are mini rice cakes, special K crackers, celery and carrot sticks, yogurt, sugar free pudding. Long car rides are hard, but a small lunch box with these few items can help. And even if you go over a bit it's not as bad as a big mac! Good Luck
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Pack a cooler for the ride and don't stop at fast food. You're bound to end up eating out at some point. Be careful with the menu. Go for walks in the morning and evenings.