Calcium intake

Options
I am trying to bump up my daily calcium intake...I take a multi-vit fortified with iron and calcium every morning..I do know milk can make a real difference but milk has a ton of sugar and fat too...any ideas?

Replies

• Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    HMM... GREEK YOGURT, LOW FAT, AND HIGH PROTEIN.
    ALMONDS, TAHINI, SALMON, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, BROCOLLI, KALE, BOK CHOY.

SWISS CHEESE HAS A HIGH CALCIUM CONTENT :)
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    I have soya milk (which is fortified with calcium). and soya yougart.

I also snack on almonds or hazelnuts.

My chap has almond milk which is quite good as well.

I supliment with a calcium tablet on my reduced days.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am trying to bump up my daily calcium intake...I take a multi-vit fortified with iron and calcium every morning..I do know milk can make a real difference but milk has a ton of sugar and fat too...any ideas?

A ton of sugar and fat? Really?

One cup of 2% milk:
    Calories 120 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 5 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 4 g Total Carbs 11 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 11 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 25 mg

That is a pretty small amount, so far as I can tell. You would have to eat seven cups of broccoli to obtain the same amount of calcium in one cup of milk.

You might try a calcium supplement if you are on a super restricted diet. That would be your best bet.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My bad...I should've worded it correctly...I am concerned about the sugar and not so much about the fat. I have gone over my sugar limit almost everyday and not a lot of it is from artificial sources...I just don't want to be overdoing the sugar for the sake of calcium. I do loveee milk btw, maybe an extra cup at bedtime..hmmm
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    I go over the sugar most days by simply having two pieces of fruit! I have chosen to ignore the sugars as frankly there are worse ways to get sugar.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned about the sugar in the milk.

Has your doctor recommended that you up your calcium intake? Also does the multi vitamin that contains calcium have vitamin D in it? If not make sure you get one that does as that helps your body absorb the calcium.