Weekends....usually lead to diet disasters...

Options
I love when it's the weekend and hate it at the same time. I like have the days off but since I'm not at work and away from my kitchen pantry I find myself constantly wandering into the kitchen and eating. I don't make good choices either. I cave to the cravings I am able to resist all week long. All that hard work down the drain. :-( I see my hubby and kids eating all the bad stuff they love and I give in and eat it too. I tell myself "It's just taste!" but it doesn't always work.... I find myself longing for Monday to be here just so I can go back to work where I don't have access to my kitchen.

Does anyone else feel this way or have this problem? What do you do?

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Your diary is keylocked but I can't help but wonder-do you let yourself have anything "bad" throughout the week? and by bad I mean something you might be cravy and you find yourself over doing it on on the weekends? Maybe you could work them in throughout the week so it wouldn't seem like you're depriving yourself
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    No. I don't allow myself anything bad during the week. I'm one of those people that just can't control themselves enough (yet) to stop with just a little of something so it's best to avoid it. Sweets are my weakness! I eat lots of fruit but if I have cookies or something I won't eat just one and stop. I will eat the entire package.... I know myself well enough to know I'll do this so I just don't eat it. Monday -Friday this is not a problem since I'm at work all day then go home make dinner and do my exercises and it's time for bed. Weekends are when I have access to my kitchen and then go over board. Once I have gone over board I'm like well I've already been bad- bring on the cookies! grrrr
  • cameronzmom
    cameronzmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way. I can do great all week but once Friday night rolls around, I throw caution out the window!

Something that does help me is the fact that I log EVERYTHING I eat. I hate seeing my calories dwindle for dumb choices!

Good luck! :)
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I had my way, we would only have healthy options available in my cabinets, however my boyfriend loves his junk food! I try to portion things like potato chips, crackers and cookies into individual ziplock bags, then allow myself snacks whenever I'm really craving them. I also take these guilty pleasures to work sometimes. You have to train yourself to eat as a healthy thinner person; restricting yourself too much and "dieting" isn't the way to go in the long run!
  • hypocrisy8
    hypocrisy8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem... it is really frustrating.
    During the week everything is so scheduled for me, and I keep busy so staying on track isn't usually an issue...
    Weekend comes along and BAM, all motivation to control food intake is dust in the wind...
    I feel like all my hard work from the week is undone.

I really feel that I need to start getting out of the house more on the weekends, go for a hike, day at the park, library, mall.. anything to get out of the house. Also, if I work out during the weekends (or week too) I don't feel the urge to pig out on food.

So I am going to try this approach.. I think that will help out alot (hopefully)
    You should maybe try that as well!!

Good luck
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying crap. I make the kids snacks on the weekends ( apples with peanut butter or a sliced cantelope etc.) If I have something out for them, it seems like they don't even notice there's no chips, cookies or soda. They got used to it quick, and when I do let them have junk food, they really think its a treat. Weekends around here are just another day. :yawn: Give it a shot!! I know dieting with a family has special challenges.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Since you know that you like to snack on un healthy things on the weekend, how about just plan it into your calories in advance. Perhaps you could make your meals smaller, lighter and with lots of veggies that way there is room for more snacking. Maybe set out a set amount of snacks that you are "allowed" to have over the weekend and when they are gone, that's it. It may not be the healthiest, but it might help you stay within your calorie goal.
  • kl3w
    kl3w Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying crap. I make the kids snacks on the weekends ( apples with peanut butter or a sliced cantelope etc.) If I have something out for them, it seems like they don't even notice there's no chips, cookies or soda. They got used to it quick, and when I do let them have junk food, they really think its a treat. Weekends around here are just another day. :yawn: Give it a shot!! I know dieting with a family has special challenges.

I think that's great because you're also teaching your kids healthy eating by your example!
  • reallyally1
    Options
    My Fridays and Saturdays are a joke. I just make sure on those days that I go to the gym and eat sparingly before I go out. I've found that as long as I stay within my calories during the week and exercise consistently, it usually evens out.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I think that's great because you're also teaching your kids healthy eating by your example!

It cracked me up, SO was super excited that I bought PRETZELS the other day!!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would budget those calories in for the weekend- but also, if you don't bring it home, you don't eat it. I open my cupboards/fridge out of bad habit, but just get mad there is nothing naughty in there and walk away- in the end its a lack of options to eat bad, and I forget about it and win :)
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    hide some special treat in your cupboard just for yourself... so that you grab YOUR special treat instead of the kids... Maybe 100 cal cookie pack, an exotic fruit like kiwi or starfruit, or maybe a glamorous bottle of uber cool sparkling water. I did that to make myself not grab an "adult beverage" I mixed in fancy grapefruit and pomagranate sparkling waters with the beer bottles to make it easier to reach in and grab a goodie! Use a fancy glass!!! Or better yet, keep a trashy romance novel in the pantry... when you open it for those crackers, grab the book instead and treat yourself to a 15 minute vacation from life by reading one steamy chapter!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes- I am definitely trying to get my hubby and kids to eat better and not buy junk....but if I don't buy it my hubby does. My in-laws even send my kids home with it! grrr They're all stick skinny so it's not a problem for them I'm the only person with weight issues. Plus-my hubby hates healthy foods....if he eats veges they're covered in butter or cheese! grrrr so I always have to make a seperate dinner for myself.
    I am going to try and stay out of the house more on the weekends. If I am out of the house I'll bring healthy snacks and I'll think twice (if not more) before stopping to buy fast-foods while I'm out. Exercising more I have noticed to help me too but I can't do that all day long. LOL
    I'm glad I am not alone with my weekend-bad-binging. Thanks for your responses everyone!
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    it's like my brain turns off and stomach takes control of my body and eats everything that isn't insight...I don't even OWN junk at home...but it's like I can't help to make food when I am at home!
  • schangt
    Options
    I do the same thing..I'm supposed to be at 1200 calories a day, and I find on the weekends eating over 2000..it's like my body and mind thinks it's on vacation or something!! I can't think of anything except to make sure I work out on the Saturday to at least make up for some of the **** eating..how do other people handle it?
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Me too. I do fantastic all week. Then on weekends I am awful. By Monday I feel bloated and discusted with myself. This past Saturday at my daughters HS football game in the span of 4 hours I ate a hot dog, french fries, pepsi ( I don't even like pepsi) walking taco and popcorn. Then later that night at a baseball game I wolfed down chicken fingers and fries and had 4 mini kit kats when I got home. Uggggg

I need therapy.
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem but I recently retired so have the 'bad cupboard' challenge every day now.......luckily I have lost my desired weight but still have to be very strict with myself to maintain. My absolute worst time is during the evening when I am sat watching the TV.............
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I call this weekenditus...much to the amuzement of my MFP's lol

What helps me is I log ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING like someone else said on here. Seeing the numbers helps me question if I really want it. I allow myself about 100-150cals of "treats" every day but on a weekend I dont mind if all my calories are "treats" so long as I stay under my goal. That way most of the week I eat pretty healthy but on weekends I dont care about macros just about the final calorie count. It seems to be working for me so far.

I too was "an open packet is an empty packet" person but by allowing myself what I want all weekend just concentrating on keeping the numbers under my goal I've learned how to work in moderation. It didnt happen overnight and I'm still not perfect (far from it actually!!) but we'll get there.

You've already lost a huge amount so must be doing something right!! xxx