First 5K tomorrow. Any advice?

Options
I am running my first ever 5K tomorrow. I know that I will be doing a combination of walking/running because of my asthma, but I am ok with that. So, any advice? Some people say to carb out tonight, others say it's not necessary since it's only a 5K. I have hydrated all week, so I don't think that will be an issue. Front of the group better or should I stick to the back? What should I eat for breakfast in the morning? I'm definitely a little nervous, so any tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Don't need to carbo load.

Eating something you know you can eat the night before you run.

Wear something you have run in before.

Have fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you can, pick up your race kit (bib, timing chip etc) today and lay out your gear so that you're not looking for stuff tomorrow (check the weather forecast to see if any changes in gear may be needed). Go to bed a little early tonight and get a good night's sleep.

Unless you expect to run 25 minutes or less stay out of the front corral unless you like footprints on your back (depending on the size of the race and whether or not there is any prize money for elite runners you may find yourself getting jostled if you're in the wrong corral - line up based on expected finishing time, it's good race etiquette)

Nothing new in terms of food, I like to eat about 3 hrs before a race starts (I hate running with food in my stomach). My pre-race breakfast is almost invariably toast with peanut butter (a bagel if I'm doing a half-marathon) some yogurt and an banana. Stick with what you know.

Give yourself extra time tomorrow, there are invariably lineups for the porta-potties (some people seem to think drinking a lot of liquids the morning of a race is a good hydration strategy......it isn't) and you'll want time for a warm up etc before the race starts.

Good luck & remember to smile as you cross the finish line!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. You can always put more in, you can't get back the energy you've already spent. Start slow.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Have fun!

^^This exactly!^^ Have you ever seen the episode of The Office when Michael carbo-loads before the 5k race for the cure for rabies? Great episode!
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    I say keep the same routine you normally have when you go for runs and have fun. Don't worry about beating the other racers. Just set your goal and strive for that.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    have a small carb filled breakfast, and dont drink too much. I had to stop to pee in my first ever duathalon last weekend!! bladder almost exploded I swear LOL!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Just have fun
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Enjoy every moment!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do not think that loading on carbs is required for a 5k?

My suggestion is to relax and enjoy the experience. Run & walk as you are able. Check your time at the end and use this as a benchmark for future improvement.

I do suggest having a glass of water before your run. - I always run faster when I need to get to the loo!! :-)

I hope you enjoy!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Have fun!

^^This exactly!^^ Have you ever seen the episode of The Office when Michael carbo-loads before the 5k race for the cure for rabies? Great episode!

Yes! Hilarious! lol I'm running my first 5k tomorrow too so this is all great info!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good night's sleep---Have fun tomorrow! :)
  • ksraider
    Options
    Doing my first 5K in the morning also....so thanks for the post. This one is in my hometown so it wont be a big one. Dont know if that is good or bad. LOL Good luck tomorrow and have fun.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! my first 5k is Sunday, so I was wondering the same thing.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Do not carbo load. its not necessary for a 5k. I was like you when I did my first 5k and it just sounds scary as we have never done them before. Def get a good nights rest and make sure you eat something in the morning so you are not running on an empty stomach. Also have fun and go at your own pace. Not need to rush the experience. You will do fantastic!

Copy-of-awesome.jpeg
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the tips! This really helped out a lot.

I'm looking forward to this so much. This has been my goal for at least a year and I can't believe it's finally here.

I really appreciate all the advice! :happy:
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5K tomorrow as well. I have been told:

* Eat normally....If you look back at your diary, eat a meal that you know you had a good workout the following day.
    * Plenty of water. Even before the run drink 20 ounces in the time before. (my race is at 8:30 a.m. so I'll likely get up around 6:30 a.m, eat a small meal and drink a bottle of water)
    * Not to do anything to strenuous work-out wise the night before. (tonight, I will just have a nice walk with my 5-year old son)
    * Don't try to keep up with the front pack. (I run alone most of the time, so I'm nervous about getting caught up in a group that may be faster than I normally run) They say to stay at your usual pace or even less at the beginng and try to step up the last half and finish strong.
    * Good Luck Girl!! Most of all HAVE FUN! :o)) (hope this helps)
  • nairobi23
    Options
    Good advice! Thanks :smile:
  • Roo33
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last month and really enjoyed it, although I was really nervous the night before. There was no need - it was great fun running with lots of like-minded people and you get such a buzz when you cross the finish line! I'm already signed up for another race. Hope your run goes well and as others said don't push yourself too fast in the beginning, let the speedy ones overtake and then just settle into your own pace. Good luck.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    * Plenty of water even before the run drink 20 ounces in the time before. (my race is at 8:30 a.m. so I'll likely get up around 6:30 a.m, eat a small meal and drink a bottle of water)

If you remain properly hydrated in the days and weeks before the race, then 20 ounces is not really necessary and may actually be too much. You'll end up need to go to the bathroom during the race. 8 ounces of water the morning of the 5K should be more than sufficient.
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice! I made a mistake in my first half, I put on a sleeveless shirt and I paid for it for a whole week (chaffing).

I know it’s been said before, but start slow. I’m a walk/runner too (right now) and I always start at the back. The “rush” is much slower in the back so it’s easy to keep the pace down a little. I was told that if you think you’re going at a good pace, you’re going to fast.

Mostly have fun and smile for the cameras!