hrm for cycling

Options
I have just spent the last 2 hours searching online for a heart rate monitor that I only really need for cycling and I have come to the conclusion that I have not got a bloody clue still, I don't want or need anything fancy just something that will tell me to stop when a heart attack is imminent and will tell me how many calories that I have burned on my ride. Are there any kind souls out there that use such a device and can point me in the right direction please?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. About $60 on Amazon.
  • Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is an amazing hrm, and one that I bought because of the need to monitor calories and heart rate during cycling. It will probably run you about 100 dollars. It records calories, duration, current heart rate, and when you finish a session, it tells you your average and max hr. Plus it logs your previous sessions in its memory bank for reference. Shop around and I'm sure you can find a deal.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you, do you enter all of your information on it like age, weight etc? I really have no idea here how these work
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have just spent the last 2 hours searching online for a heart rate monitor that I only really need for cycling and I have come to the conclusion that I have not got a bloody clue still, I don't want or need anything fancy just something that will tell me to stop when a heart attack is imminent and will tell me how many calories that I have burned on my ride. Are there any kind souls out there that use such a device and can point me in the right direction please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crane-Heart-Rate-Monitor-New-Unopened-Pack-/251148959351?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item3a79a4fe77

Does everythng you need, nto as easy to use as Polar, but once you get used to it, it is ok and will let you know if you really need to spend more.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a cycling specific heart rate monitor or a combination device that will also track your distance, speed, route, etc...? There are lots of them out there. Garmin, Polar, etc... pick a good one.
    All a HRM is going to do is measure your heart rate, and any one of them will do, provided it accurately senses your heart rate.
    Personally, I use the Wahoo Fitness HRM and Speed/Cadence sensor with my cycling. It connects and interacts with my iPhone. I highly recommend it if you have an iPhone. There are many other brands of HRMs and sensors that interact with smartphones and your computer to keep track of your ride data. It all boils down to which one you like best.
    Enjoy your ride!
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    I currently use sports tracker to monitor my rides with my nokia e6 and I like the app but it seems to be very generous with the calories, they sell a hrm to go with it but I have been unable to get any info on it prior to buying one
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of Sports Tracker and The Zephyr Technologies HxM with my Android phone when I ride. You can track calories, distance, speed, Heart Rat, it will map you ride and lots more. With this combination, the HRM just send the data to your phone and Sports Track Live records it in real time and from all the testing I have done is pretty accurate with the calorie count.

Zephyr HxM - http://www.zephyr-technology.com/consumer-hxm
    Sports track Live - https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=sportstracklive.com
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    Thanks countrydevil, do you know if any bluetooth hrm will work with sports tracker? I was under the impression that for them to be linked it had to be their brand?
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Thanks countrydevil, do you know if any bluetooth hrm will work with sports tracker? I was under the impression that for them to be linked it had to be their brand?

Based on the information on their site (Sports Tracker) Only the Zephyr HxM or BioHarness or Polar WearLink+ transmitter with Bluetooth are supported with the application. They have a compatibility chart here:

http://www.sportstracklive.com/help/android
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    Thank you, great help
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    Just realised that the link is for sportstracklive and not sports tracker, back to square one I guess !!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    try Mapmyride.com or Strava.com

Tons of apps and programs out there, most of them are free.
  • mgmyers9
    Options
    Anyone try the Polar H7 Bluetooth HRM? Looking for one to use with iPhone and Strava, and the wahoo reviews were mixed.