Winter cooking

Just wondering if anyone else is panicking at the thought of all of those nice yummy high calorie casseroles and such that come along with the cooler weather. Are you planning to revise your recipies or ditch them all together? Summer was easy due to grilling and all the fresh veggies. Now is when the hubby likes potato soup, chicken and brocolli casserole (made w/ condensed soup and cheese whiz) and not sure how or if it would even be worth trying to remake them.

Replies

• raynalisa
    raynalisa Posts: 56 Member
    I would check out skinnytaste.com
    She has TONS of recipes that are thinned down versions of winter soups and casseroles that are delicious and low cal.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    I'm concerned only because the veggies will be a little pricier. And I won't be able to grill as much. I do plan on making stews and soups, but I'm not sure how that will turn out since I usually like to have them with bread :-/ But I am just going to try to apply the principles that got me through the summer to my winter cooking.

Also check out thegraciouspantry.com she has wonderful recipes...I get about 50% of what I cook from her.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    I LOVE making soups during the fall/winter. I make double batches so I can freeze some for later. Experiment with some of the following types of soup:
    carrot & sweet potato
    butternut squash & sage
    chicken & veggies
    caramelized onion
    cauliflower & white bean
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I agree, skinnytaste has some awesome healthier/lighter alternatives to the comfort foods of winter. Also, try searching myrecipes.com and food.com. Myrecipes is connected to Cooking Light and they have some really good lighter alternatives. Food.com is just a general recipe site but you can search specifically for low fat broccoli casserole then read all the reviews and come up with something that sounds good.

I've been able to make some of our old favorites lighter by just cutting down on the pasta/rice, using less andor leaner meats, less and lower fat cheeses and adding more veggies so you don't miss out on the "bulk". Cheez Whiz is a tough one though - not sure what you'd use in place of that! :) And don't feel like you have to tell him! In the first six months or so, I snuck so much past my Hubs and he didn't have a clue! I'd just say I was trying a new recipe and then I'd ask him what he thought of it when we were done eating. Then when I made it again, if he saw the whole wheat pasta or turkey sausage and objected, and I'd say "well you liked it an awful lot last time I made it!" Eventually he learned that healthy doesn't always mean tasteless.