Question for guys: What would you call it?

Options
If you lift weights and wanted to list it as a hobby for a "match the person with their hobby" game at your workplace, would you call it:

A. Weight Lifting
B. Heavy Lifting
C. Heavy Weight Lifting
D. Strength Training
E. Other (please specify)

I've been asked to identify a hobby for a game like this at work, and after debating whether to share with all my coworkers (an office of approx. 90-100 people) that I enjoy lifting, I decided to share it and use it as my hobby for people to guess. I started New Rules of Lifting for Women in April this year, and lift as heavy as I can with good form. I'm up to 110 lb. deadlifts, 75 lb. back squats, 105 lb. lat pulldowns, 100 lb. barbell rows, 70 lb. dumbbell bench press, etc., so I'm definitely not farting around with "barbie weights." So, when my friends suggested I update my hobby to "heavy lifting" or "heavy weight lifting" - my instinct was to just leave it as "weight lifting" because that's what I thought a guy might say for a hobby.

So that's why I'm curious what guys think. Because I'm also still obese, and I've only told 1 coworker that I've started lifting at all, so I think it will come as a surprise to most of my coworkers. I'm thinking they'll assume "weight lifting" is a guy's hobby, since the game will have 10 participants. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any input or feedback.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd call it weight lifting.

The only ones who will thing that weight lifting is a "guy's hobby" are the ones who don't know any better and strength training is a bit vaguer in that it could be all body weight exercises.
  • kimstaaa
    Options
    I agree with Weight Lifting.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    1st choice is "A",
    "D" is a good choice if you want to be less specific/more broad.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Tell them you body build, that would go over well...

Weight Lifting is fine, the general populous will think you use pink dumbbells, guys like me will ask you how much you squat and deadlift expecting a silly answer like "I only use machines", and idiots will say you should do more cardio.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Tell them you body build, that would go over well...

Weight Lifting is fine, the general populous will think you use pink dumbbells, guys like me will ask you how much you squat and deadlift expecting a silly answer like "I only use machines", and idiots will say you should do more cardio.

LOL, so true! I'm thinking when people find out that weight lifting is *my* hobby, and not some guy's, they'll probably assume I mean barbie weights. I'd love to see the look on their face if they ask what I do though because the only machines I use are squat racks, pulldown stations, cable stations (horizontal & reverse woodchops), the back extension apparatus, and the Smith (only for pushups b/c I can't do them on the floor yet).
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'd call it weight lifting.

The only ones who will thing that weight lifting is a "guy's hobby" are the ones who don't know any better and strength training is a bit vaguer in that it could be all body weight exercises.

Yup, I fully expect that most people in my office are the ones who don't know any better. Heck, a year ago, *I* wouldn't have known better! :wink:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting.

Strength Training in a distant second place.
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    weight lifting. strength training sounds girlie.