ASPARTAME.....Good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Bad. Anything tampered with by scientists in a lab is not good for our bodies

What about vitamins? How about medicine?

I was thinking the same thing actually...about my thyroid medication. If I didn't have my artificial thyroid hormones, that would be bad bad bad!! I thank the scientists who made these available =)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I've googled this many a times - there is lots of studies that are for/against. Lots of different opinions. If you think the headaches are from the fake sugar try stopping the intake & see if that makes a difference? I can drink pepsi max with no problems but when I drink coke zero I get a headache almost straight away. I'm not sure why.

I've started having stevia which isn't chemicals. I have to say it's not as sweet as the aspartame stuff but I guess it will do seeing as I can't get rid of sugar.
  • sheelyg
    sheelyg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No joke, aspartame can activate cancer hormones.Use Stevia instead,a plant,all natural.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No joke, aspartame can activate cancer hormones.Use Stevia instead,a plant,all natural.

Evidence?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Evidence?

That would be lovely. When making dramatic statements like 'aspartame is poison' and 'aspartame can activate cancer hormones' it is good to be able to provide peer reviewed scientific studies, otherwise it is fear mongering.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Evidence?

That would be lovely. When making dramatic statements like 'aspartame is poison' and 'aspartame can activate cancer hormones' it is good to be able to provide peer reviewed scientific studies, otherwise it is fear mongering.
    Aspartame causes female pattern baldness.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Evidence?

Source please..:tongue:
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Evidence?

http://www.hair-lossvitamins.com/Causes-Of-Baldness-The-Food-You-Need-To-Avoid.html
    In a previous article, I listed white sugar as one of the causes of baldness. Another sweetener that is actually worse than the one I just mentioned is aspartame. Not only does it aggravate hair loss “better” than white sugar, but studies have linked it to cancer and a number of other disorders as well.

BOOM. Proof you can find some whack-job internet source to support any made-up bullsh!t claim.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Evidence?

http://www.hair-lossvitamins.com/Causes-Of-Baldness-The-Food-You-Need-To-Avoid.html
    In a previous article, I listed white sugar as one of the causes of baldness. Another sweetener that is actually worse than the one I just mentioned is aspartame. Not only does it aggravate hair loss “better” than white sugar, but studies have linked it to cancer and a number of other disorders as well.

BOOM. Proof you can find some whack-job internet source to support any made-up bullsh!t claim.

Sounds legit to me.
  • sheelyg
    sheelyg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out www.Hungry For Change
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hi there.
    I am some what of a sweetner addict...always trying to cut out proper sugar...cant go without sweet coffee or tea.or without it on strawberries etc.I did some research as sweetex was my favourite brand for not being too bitter. For many years i have been woken up at night with painful stomach ache..to be told by the doc i have IBS.No it was aspartame! it has some horrible side effects...headache stomach problems etc....it can also turn into formeldahide in your body...bad eh??:mad: Since changing to stevia (which is loads sweeter) but natural these problems have eliviated themselfs. also aspartame effects insulin levels creating a vicous circle of up and down sugar levels etc. leaving us chasing the effect all day...stevia does not do this..in the end we win..we get the sweet taste we want...no side effects and balanced blood sugar...yeh!!!!:):happy:
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well, it's bad for ME personally, migraine trigger.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Lol. You have proved the point of my above post. :flowerforyou:
  • brent65
    Options
    Yeah, i feel the same way.
    I drink a lot of pop, a lot less than say 5 years ago, but still a lot.
    I never thought it had a connection to headaches, but now that I think about it????????
    But my question is about coughing, I've been drinking Diet Mountain Dew recently.
    And I've had a lot of irritation of my throat,.
    My doctor put me on some antibiotics which stopped the coughing but as soon as i had a Mountain Dew again tonight the crazy coughing came back.
    I know what the obvious answer is, but has anybody heard of such a thing, or am I just nuts?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How about some peer reviewed studies rather than a 'film' someone made to cash in on fear mongering?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Or just get used to the natural, unsweetened taste of things.
    I don't use sugar, stevia or any other sweetener on things anymore.
    I have made myself get used to the taste of it and now I actually prefer everything unsweetened.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    hi there.
    I am some what of a sweetner addict...always trying to cut out proper sugar...cant go without sweet coffee or tea.or without it on strawberries etc.I did some research as sweetex was my favourite brand for not being too bitter. For many years i have been woken up at night with painful stomach ache..to be told by the doc i have IBS.No it was aspartame! it has some horrible side effects...headache stomach problems etc....it can also turn into formeldahide in your body...bad eh??:mad: Since changing to stevia (which is loads sweeter) but natural these problems have eliviated themselfs. also aspartame effects insulin levels creating a vicous circle of up and down sugar levels etc. leaving us chasing the effect all day...stevia does not do this..in the end we win..we get the sweet taste we want...no side effects and balanced blood sugar...yeh!!!!:):happy:

Now, I am not saying that you do not have a sensitivity to it, some people absolutely do, just as they have a sensitivity to peanuts and shellfish, but our bodies already deal with formaldehyde and as such can process external sources of it perfectly adequately.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Bad. Anything tampered with by scientists in a lab is not good for our bodies, we are designed to eat natural things not process chemicals.
    So Louis Pasteur obviously got it wrong? :noway:

Scientist are not all mad professors out to control the world... and blanket statements are of little help to man nor beast.

Amazingly enough, our bodies are designed to process chemicals... that's exactly what the digestive process is; from the enzymes in our saliva to the acids in our stomach, the filters in our livers, kidneys and pancreas... all of them have evolved to break down what we consume into things we can use and dispose of the things we don't need.

Aspartame is no more artificial than bread: natural ingredients are brought together and processed into something that is easier for us to consume, in the case of Aspartame, a tablet or powder that can readily be used to sweeten our food and beverages and save us a few extra calories. It shouldn't be demonised on the basis of hearsay, anecdotal accounts and a few cookie nut jobs out to make a fast buck selling their own brand of perceived wisdom! :huh:
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Bad. Anything tampered with by scientists in a lab is not good for our bodies

What about vitamins? How about medicine?

SideSteel has this problem of ending stupid arguments by using LOGIC!

whatever

I will have to post the links to the research later because I'm at work and have it at home, but there apparently has been research done that aspartame causes the body to release insulin just as a real sugar would, however, since it's not a real sugar and can't be digested, it passes through the body and insulin levels remain a bit high and promote storing of other substances....... as far as vitamins, aren't they usually derived from natural sources? and medicines, although they are "good" in a sense, are also harmful in others, right? i don't know of any drug that doesnt have a side-effect, even aspirin, advil, tylenol......seemingly benign drugs...... that have side effects. Sure, we need medications, i take one that without it I'd be dead, so it's good for me in that sense....... but is it healthy??? No. it causes other problems. but I prefer to be above ground, so i take it........ :smile:
    wow. misinformation. no insulin response from aspartame. pls check the facts from a credible source. not hearsay.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    all i know is since i stopped using it..i felt better. not craved sugar so much and my stomach is good. but i do drink 15 plus cups of tea and coffee a day....so i was using a lot of aspartame...I have looked into research on Real people ..the sweetner debate always interresting