How do you stay within your calories without a workout?

Options
I don't know if it's just me, but I can never seem to stay within my 1390 calories unless I exercise. It's 12:25 and I've eaten breakfast and a cheese stick and only have 890 remaining with lunch and dinner still to go. Granted, I fully intend to work out today, but does anyone have any tips on how to stay within your count on non workout days? 890 doesn't seem like enought to take me through the rest of the day.

I have felt pretty hungry all morning, but have been fighting it. Also, I did manage to be in a deficit last week, which was great, but saw no change on the scale. Is it possible I am needing to add calories? I've heard many have more success in doing that. I don't think I can be in starvation mode, but I'm not losing. Suggestions?

Replies

• stacey1981
    stacey1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What is your intensity level with your workouts? That does help you determine what amount of calories you should be taking in. I drink meal replacement shakes, which help with the hunger.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I plan all my meals and ensure that I have everything in the cupboards/fridge etc. I eat 3 meals a day and two small snacks, and only exercise on a weekend as I dont have time in the week, I find that I dont get hungry but I do fill out my meals with lots and lots salad or vegetables and drink lots of water, I dont eat junk and most of my diet is clean. I find this works for me, and that eating small but regularl definatley helps

I am on 1200 cals (which was MFP recomendaton)
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    First, 1 week of not losing does not equal starvation mode or a plateau of any sort. It just means you're having a standard fluctuation. It could just be water, or it could be this was the week your body "decided" not to let go of some of the extra weight. It happens, and it shouldn't discourage you.

I workout in the morning, but there are days where I miss it. Even when I fully intend to make it up, I try to be careful with my eating that day. And I also have days where I don't workout for whatever reason.

The best way I've found to stay under my calorie goal on those days is to eat more fruits, veggies, and eggs. This allows me to eat more without taking in a bunch of extra calories. The extra food keeps me satiated better throughout the day. It's amazing how much volume you can eat when it's a raw cucumber without breaking the calorie bank!

And I do everything I can do to avoid higher calorie foods. For instance your cheese stick. That won't go very far to satisfy your hunger given the amount of calories in such a small portion.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, and good fat sources all help to keep you full. With fewer calories to work with, I just try to get the most "bang" for my calorie buck. Whole wheat has fiber & protein that refined grains do not (same calories). Greek yogurt has almost double the protein of regular yogurt. I go with 2% - for any dairy product I can (it's saturated fat anyway... not the good stuff).

For snack type items, I look for low calorie items with lots of "bulk" .... I can eat tons of veggies for very few calories. Same thing with hot air or (light) microwave popcorn.

Some fruits have what appear to be bigger portions ... berries and watermelon are great

When I'm cooking dinner .... I add veggies. This makes my plate look much fuller.
  • When I do my workouts, I use my polar watch and burn roughly 600 calories in an hour with a mix of cardio on the treadmill and/or elliptical. I also use the weight machines post cardio.

I know part of the problem also lies in that I have a stationary job. I find myself more hungry when just sitting. Meal planning has been stressful with working a full time job and having a one year old and a three year old. Seems the best laid plans get trampled on by something or another that comes up!

I was going the cheese route because the pantry is bare and that was about the only source of protein that was quick to grab this morning. We need to buy some Greek yogurt and cottage cheese this weekend for sure!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm definitely going to try and add some in my plans.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Protein with every meal, and if I'm struggling with getting hungry, I actually eat a lot of my food in the morning. Always eat a morning snack that is filling. Protein shakes really fill me up and are low on calories. And menu plan.....that sounds like plenty for the day. If you have a clif bar as a snack (filling!) and a big fat salad with chicken for dinner, you'd still be way under calories for the day and could probably have desert.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I can't. I have to exercise 6 days a week or else I feel like I'm starving.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is your per week loss set @ 1 lb a week? If not, it should be. Also, do you have it set at sedentary or lightly active? Most mom's are not very sedentary. And if you profile is up to date, if you are nursing, you should be eating an extra 300-500 calories a day.
  • meganbook
    Options
    Veggies! An awesome snack is a half cup of carrots, a half cup of cauliflower, and some salsa. All for around 30 calories and it takes a while to eat, it's tasty, and it fills you up! Another huge help: beef jerky. Lots of protein, and only 80 calories a serving. Helps me!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a large amount of low calorie foods instead of a small amount of high calorie foods. It doesn't always work out that way, but it allows me to snack all I want, on most fruits and veggies.
  • I finished nursing two months ago. Wondering if this is why the weight isn't shifting. I have my goals set to 1 lb a week and sedentary. I sit all day at a desk during the week. When I get home, I have the kids about 2 and a half hours before lights out and about 2 hours in the morning before work.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Read your diary. What are the biggest calories that would be easy for you to drop. For example, I eat a lot of torillas and subbed my old 150 cal ones for a tastier, healthier 50 calorie one. I avoid bread most of the time and eat less rice. No big loss but now I'm having hard time eating enough calories.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What works for me is planning the night before what my meals will be for the day. My 14 month old goes to bed and I sit at the laptop and log what I plan to eat. This helps me even my calories out over the day, or if I have something planned for dinner that has a lot of calories I can make a few changes to lower. I feel very hungry in the morning and make myself a 320 calorie fried egg sandwich or a 350 calorie smoothie. I add a scoop of protein powder or some hemp hearts and I find that I'm stuffed until lunchtime.