Bacon

j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering how you guys do your bacon. I like the Oscar Myer bacon and that is pretty low in calories. I LOVE homemade bacon but that comes with lots of fat and grease that I know isn't good for you. I like my bacon basically burnt. I want to be able to crumble it up and put it in my breakfast burrito or even in egg bakes.

Any thoughts or ideas?!?!

Replies

• geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    I like it crispy, and the microwave is perfect for that !
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    have you guys tried turkey bacon thats what i like?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I cook it on a griddle until it is crispy. On my griddle is has the lines on the edge so while it is cooking the fat rolls way into a little container.

I tried the turkey bacon. It is ok, but if I am in the mood for bacon it doesn't taste the same.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    I love the low sodium bacon walmart has there own brand. It has like 173 calories for 2 pieces and thats enough to get the taste. I am putting some on a chicken salad tonight with apples and cranberries and cherry tomatoes.
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member

I tried it last weekend and loved it!!! Best part is that it is 50% less fat. I also cut out most of the grease before cooking it. Delicious!!!
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Try cooking it in the oven on a broiler pan. The grease drips through the pan so the bacon is not sitting in it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Tried turkey bacon once, wasn't a big fan.

I like the Oscar Mayer pre-cooked bacon too. Just nuke it for 20 seconds and it's crunchy.

I love making BLTs.... or BLC (bacon lettuce cheese) as mine usually turn out. My Kiddo loves them too!
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Hmmmm... A BLT would be a good start this morning... I'll get to it soon!!!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    turkey bacon is a great alternative!
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Uncured, nitrate-free bacon only. Extra points if it's applewood smoked.

Turkey bacon is pretty nasty, IMO.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Not all turkey bacon is the same. I have tried them all and the best ( with no funky after taste) is Butterball Turkey bacon. The trick to making it crispy is to cook it low and slow....yummy. My husband and kids even love it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Hmmmm... A BLT would be a good start this morning... I'll get to it soon!!!

If I want to cut calories, I'll do an open face BLT (which means only one piece of bread instead of two.) I usually toast mine too. YUMMY!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I personally haven't tried turkey bacon but after my experience with ground turkey I don't know if I want too. There are lots of good ideas and I'm going to try them because I'm a BIG bacon fan. And I love some bacon on my salad.
  • Kellerl28314
    Kellerl28314 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know if this is the case for all turkey bacon, but when I compared regular bacon vs turkey bacon at the store the turkey bacon had 1/2 the calories and fat ONLY because the serving size was cut in half also. And I think turkey bacon tastes like cardboard :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I love turkey EVERYTHING!! Bacon, ground turkey, turkey burgers, turkey sausage! They're all delish and much lighter on the fat and calories.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member

Turkey bacon is good. Not as good as the regular stuff but I get Oscar Meyer because they are thing slices and 50% less fat. 2 slices 70 calories. The Jennie O brand I cannot stand...they are thick and gross!!
    I will use the foreman grill for the Oscar Meyer Turkey bacon, comes out dee licious!
This discussion has been closed.