Weight Gain with YAZ

ars7r3
ars7r3 Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Hi Everyone,

A few months ago I was on YAZ to help with my acne and I gained about 10 lbs. I know it was partly due to my bad eating habits but I definately noticed that I was gaining wait a lot easier. I tried to get off of it for a few months but my skin was breaking out a lot again soI decided to get back on it again. I have already noticed about a 5lb weight gain in only a few weeks. Has this happened to anyone else or do you have any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Well any type of birth control is hormone base. So cravings will be there. I remember taking the mini pill (b/c i was breast feeding i could not get a stronger one) and I was so hungry. I just wanted to eat. Good thing i was breast feeding because i would of gained a lot. My point is that even if you change pills you will still have that problem due to hormones in it. I have an IUD paragard and has no hormone and for my acne (that only comes ones a month) i take biotin. It helps with the skin, nails and hair. Its been clearing my acne and it suppose to help with your metabolism as well. So hope that helped.
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Yikes, I'm on Yaz and I thought that I actually lost weight when I started! maybe I was just so afraid of gaining weight that I was subconsciously making better choices (this was before I started logging with MFP), To be fair, I think my hormones were crazy out of whack when I first started it though, so Yaz brought me back to semi-normal. I love YAZ and I'm sorry that you're experience with it is not as pleasant. I wish I could offer more help, but my gyn told me that everyone reacts differently to birth control and I don't know if you'd get any different results from trying another pill. It sucks, but maybe stick it out for 2-3months again and see if your weight doesn't stabilize.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I've tried a BILLIION different BC pills and so far Yaz seems to be it for me. I haven't really gained a ton of weight that I can blame on just the pill. More along the lines of poor food choices. I lost weight when I started Yaz actually. Seasonale was a NIGHTMARE for me. I totally gained weight on that. Triphasil was pretty good. Ortho-tri-cyc low was alright as well.
    You're supposed to stick it out for a couple months to let it level off and then decide if you wanna switch.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    My advice is to get off of Yaz- there's a lot of controversy and lawsuits surrounding it. You might want to try ortho-tricyclen. I had great results at clearing up my lifelong acne with it and no weight gain attributed to it. It was pretty easy to come off as well. I had some rebound acne, but after that my skin has remained pretty clear.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    I actually lost weight. Not sure why you would gain other than your hormones caused you to eat more.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    My advice is to get off of Yaz- there's a lot of controversy and lawsuits surrounding it. You might want to try ortho-tricyclen. I had great results at clearing up my lifelong acne with it and no weight gain attributed to it. It was pretty easy to come off as well. I had some rebound acne, but after that my skin has remained pretty clear.

I've been on Yaz for years and I haven't had any problems with it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member

I've been on Yaz for years and I haven't had any problems with it.

I'm not saying everyone will have problems, but there's an increased risk with Yaz and Yasmin over other birth control pills. It contains a different kind of hormone than typical birth control pills.
This discussion has been closed.