Dear people with sugar addictions..

Options

Replies

• imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    "skinny" cupcakes :)

1 box devil's food cake mix + 1 can pumpkin puree = 12 delicious cupakes about 100 cals each
    or
    1 box yellow cake mix + 1 can crushed pinneapple (20 oz.) - 24 delicious cupcakes 95 calories each

I keep a couple out, then freeze the rest and take them out to defrost when I am having a craving. Delicious and not horribly calorie crushing.

Don't deprive yourself, find things that fit into your calorie plan!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I fake it with sugar free items or low sugar stuff.

It either tastes terrible making me not want more, or you find good ones.

Breyers has a low carb ice cream thats delicious i think i like it better than regular ice cream its creamier :happy:
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite solution is Jello sugar free fat free chocolate instant pudding. 1/2 cup (which they consider a serving) is 80 calories, but if you go nuts and eat the whole damn recipe it's still only 320. Bonus points for the protein in the skim milk :)
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've learned, that at least for me, replacing sugar with sugar substitutes only makes things worse. Also, I've learned that the more sugar I eat, the more I want. I only drink diet sodas on the weekend, as a treat, and I stopped putting splenda in my tea. Also, the more I cook, and the more natural my foods are (I mean, as opposed to processed) the less I crave sugar. I do love cupcakes though, and I always will- and I will eat them sometimes.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant/ have pcos (poly-cystic ovary syndrome), so sugar cravings used to be a major for me.

I now take a daily magnesium supplement (it's supposed to help keep your blood sugar levels level), I don't eat white bread, white sugar, white pasta etc, try to make sure there is protein in every meal I have, and read up on low G.I foods and try to stick to those.
    I spent a good chunk of the past ten years doing that to get pregnant, and now it's just the way I eat, and my sugar cravings are pretty much nil. (I still ate way too much of the "good stuff" though, lol, it was never a weightloss thing, not all low gi foods are "healthy"!)

If I do feel like something sweet I have a glass of water first. I drink a herbal tea called Black Adder (not sure if you can get that in the States) but it's a fennel, aniseed, licorice thing and tastes really sweet, or any other herbal tea sweetened with stevia. Cinnamon is good for blood sugar levels too. I don't have artificial sweetener in anything as it triggers my migraines.

I tend to find my breakfast is enough of a sweet fix, I have greek yoghurt, one scoop of protein shake powder, mixing it together it goes mousse-y, and a cup of frozen blueberries.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I too have a major sweet tooth and used to LOVE eating frosting right out of the tub. I know some of you are saying "GROSS" to that, but others can relate. I've managed to cut down on my sugar cravings by just not eating much sugar since I've gone Paleo, but I still get that "need" I guess you could call it.......... and today I had a little baby Milky Way at the end of lunch. OK two of them. ANY-WHO....... usually I can resist. Around here (work) there is ALWAYS junk, as I type this there's a dozen donuts and two packages of Costco cookies in the break room..... I've been able to turn a blind eye to all of it......... but yes, like you... sometimes I just want a nibble of it. I've learned to just have a little. Sometimes I find it's not as yummy as I thought it would be and I end up throwing it out. My hubby and I decided to do the 21-day Sugar Detox (there's a link for it on PaleOMG.com) and we are starting Monday. it's supposed to help with sugar cravings, but you have to cut out ALL sugars, including fruit, and can't even chew sugar free gum or drink Crystal Light or anything with artificial sweeteners either, you're trying to train your body not to want sweet flavors, etc. It's going to be tough............ but I'm actually looking forward to it. I can handle 21 days,,, Right??!?! RIGHT!!! :-)
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me is complete avoidance...I basically cycle in and out of the first phase of the South Beach Diet. By cycling, I mean I'll do it until I lose X amount, take a break (sometimes gain back a pound or two), then back at it. This isn't intentional. Ideally, I'd stick to a plan, move on to the "nicer" phases and enjoy treats while still losing weight. That just hasn't worked for me. So I'm losing the weight slowly. I realize I have work to do to really change myself, and I'm working on it.

When I'm in a complete, sugar-free state, I use the following to curb cravings: 1 serving of sugar-free chocolate Jello-O pudding, a tbsp of shaved almond, a tbsp of light cool whip (all = 100 calories, which is the daily allowance of SF snacks on the SBD phase 1). I realize the cool whip isn't SF, but it's a tiny amount and still under calories. On my good days, this does it for me and I'm happy. On the bad days, it doesn't cut it and I wouldn't say I "cave", as much as I realize that fighting a strong craving will only lead to binging, so I often have a SMALL treat (i.e. some carb-smart breyer's ice cream).

Fighting the cravings doesn't do me any good and the longer I can go without sweets, the less I crave them. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to go for very long!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Hot Tea or Gum.

Every time I get a craving I do one of these instead and it usually works. The less sugar I eat, the less I crave it. Don't look at my diary tho - I've been falling down a lot as of late which reminds me, I need to buy more tea and gum.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can relate! Before MFP, I was eating a good half pound of candy per day. The first few days were hard hard hard! The biggest thing that helps is truly *wanting* to change and making a commitment to do so. Without that, nothing will change. Here are some things that help me keep it down to one sweet per day:

1. Cold turkey on the "trigger" sweets. For me, it's regular, cheap candy, like miniature Reese's Cups. I don't have it in the house. I just don't even start. That's just easier for me than torturing myself with a "hair of the dog" and knowing there's a whole bag in the cupboard. I just can't handle it. Know that this ban is temporary, not forever. My rule for myself is not to eat it again until 2013. That's only 3 1/2 months.

2. Substitute another kind of sweet treat that's not a trigger food. Here are mine:
    * (Expensive) 70% dark chocolate. I agree with you, 90% is so dark it almost tastes like coffee or tobacco. Get a kind you enjoy that is really creamy and rich.
    * Small portion-sized ice cream bars (like Dove miniatures) instead of a carton of ice cream. The individual wrappers make it easier to feel like you're finished with just one. For me, the real thing (not reduced-calorie), because it's richer, is more satisfying and just one feels like enough.
    *High-fiber granola bars (I like Fiber One). With 9 grams of fiber, you'll be satisfied after just one for about 2 hours.
    * VitaMuffins and VitaBrownies. Another high-fiber treat. Their chocolate ones are *really* flavorful. I bake them from the mixes and add peanut butter chips. Keep them in the freezer and they stay fresh.

Another bonus for the high-fiber sweets: they have a built-in deterrent (GI distress) if you eat more than, say two or three. I'm sure you're wondering how I know this :-)

Substitutes that work for me to head off sweet cravings:
    *Mint sugarless gum
    *Hot herbal tea--some are sweet without added sweetener required
    *Frozen berries

Good luck! You're doing a good thing. I'm right there with you!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is what I have been told... and I incorporate it as well and it works... If I want a peice of cake or something similar, I give myself just enough for three bites, one to scarf down and the other two to really savor and eat slowly... that way it gives my brain time to register the taste and texture of what it was craving.... and it's in moderation so I'm not eating a whole cake.

Also when it comes to dark chocolate, I eat about three squares of dove chocolate almost every day... it's not as bitter and it take a decent amount of time for me to let it melt in my mouth... then I don't feel the need to eat candy or cookies or whatnot.
  • stacdjen
    stacdjen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a major love of chocolate as well and I'm sure a ton of people on here are going to cringe when they read what I eat to calm that craving but oh well. I would be going crazy if i tired to cut out chocolate/sweets altogether. I get the 100 calorie bags of snackies. Its just enough to calm my craving without me completely over doing it. 100 calorie Nutty bars, chocolate covered pretzels, little chocolate chip cookies, nature valley granola thins (they have a layer of chocolate on the bottom). You only live once so don't make yourself miserable by not enjoying the sweets. You just have to eat them in moderation. <3
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just make sure if Im going to have something sweet like chocolate I stay in my calorie goal or exercise enough to have some extra calories.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My issues are chocolate and Coke. I know eliminating them does not work for me, but you have to find out what works best for you. Some people just cannot do moderation and have to stop completely. I have 2 Dove chocolate promises every night. I also don't eat back most of my exercise calories and spike my calories one day a week (Saturday) and I eat a lot more of what I want. It isn't a cheat day because I do not exceed my calorie allotment for the week. This way I have just a little daily (usually before bed or after dinner), and I have something bigger on Saturdays. It has to be a lifestyle you can live with long term or it won't be effective.

Also, like another poster stated, the more you cook things yourself and don't eat food from a box or can, the less you want processed sugars. The other thing that is extremely helpful is exercise that produces an endorphine rush (e.g. running), as I find that I am way more in control if I do intense exercise for a half an hour or more. I also make sure that I don't have easy access in my house to these types of foods, it is a must!

Unfortunately, I fell a couple weeks back and broke my tailbone, so I am unable to exercise temporarily and the cravings came back extremely strong, especially for Coke because I am more sedetary now. My sugar craving got so bad this afternoon that I actually ate two of my son's gummy vitamins, LOL!!
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! I find that when ever I can manage to cut sugar out for a while, the less I crave it. I think the more I eat, the more I want.
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "skinny" cupcakes :)

1 box devil's food cake mix + 1 can pumpkin puree = 12 delicious cupakes about 100 cals each
    or
    1 box yellow cake mix + 1 can crushed pinneapple (20 oz.) - 24 delicious cupcakes 95 calories each

I keep a couple out, then freeze the rest and take them out to defrost when I am having a craving. Delicious and not horribly calorie crushing.

Don't deprive yourself, find things that fit into your calorie plan!

This is beautiful. I have around 40 cans of pumpkin in my pantry. normally i make pumpkin soup and dark chocolate-chip pumpkin cookies with them, but i already have 2 gallons of the soup in my fridge and a couple dozen trays of cookies so.... yea. but chocolate cupcakes would be a nice change of pace.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to crave sugar when I am a) dehydrated, and b) tired. I do allow myself sweet stuff... don't even mind if it's something every day as long as I have the calories for it. But being aware of where the cravings originate can be handy... sometimes I just need to drink some water and go to bed.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I slowly replaced sugary food items (ice cream, energy bars, etc.) with sugar free drinks. I then started to water down the overly sweetened drinks with water (still pelnty sweet). Now I do not crave sugar, I use very little sugar/sweetner, and only occasionally buy sweetened food items anymore. Addiction gone!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I usually do ok if I grab a TB of unsweetened coconut. For me it has the right amount of flavor and chewing I need. That and raisins, craisins don't work, but raisins have the right amount of sweetness. I used to keep dark chocolate on hand, but turns out one day I binged on 1/2 of it.

I have never been that addicted to it, but am interested to see other people's substitutions :)
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    Trader Joes has milk chocolate bars 100 calories 6 grams fat and 10 grams of carbs. They also have mini hold the cone ice cream and lemon bars all 100 calories and portioned the right size to beat that craving. They are delicious!! Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?? I chew sugar free gum (five) which helps too. I also believe that as time passes my cravings have lessened because I do not eat much sugar and keep on hand just in case. Now is the perfect time to buy green or black seedless grapes. They are so sweet and really help. Because this is my weakness, I am very careful of my sugar intake.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I notice if I have sugar in the morning (which I usually do in the form of Starbucks flavored lattes) then I want more sugar. If I don't have sugar, then I don't seem to want it as much.