Calorie Question

Options
I hope this is clearer then mud. LOL

Believe it or not, counting calories is the only "diet" I've never tried!!!! Per MFP, my nutrtion goal is to eat 1200 calories a day. When I add my exercise into my diary (for example it was 500 calories), my net calories change and tell me that I need to eat more. Do I really need to eat more to then lost the 2 lbs of week that I want to lose? Because if I don't eat more, it's telling me that I've only had 700 calories for the day, and my body will think it's in starvation mode.

Confused?!?!?!

Susan

Replies

• cardinalgeorge
    Options
    It's amazing. We are doing Weight Watchers and if I use way less than my daily points, I have smaller losing weeks. If I use them, most of the time, I lose more. It's crazy and I think calories are the same way. With Weight Watchers you earn activity points for exercise and you don't have to use them. My advice would be to use the 1,200 and not the extra 500 unless there is a temptation you can't resist.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    This is an ongoing debate, some think you should eat them, some don't... I try to eat at least half of mine if not all. If you burn a lot of calories like 500 or more than you should defiantly eat most of them, you need to refuel your body so you can continue to workout hard. There is a post about all this, I think its under "general diet and weight loss" at the top... good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    MFP builds in a deficit for you. It assumes, based on your lifestyle, that you burn MORE than 1200 calories in a day. The reason they give you 1200 is a) it's the recommended minimum intake b) it's 500 calories less than you burn in a day, or both. When you exercise, you increase your burn for the day, making that 500 calorie deficit larger. For some people that's acceptable, but if you have just a small amount to lose, it's better to remain in a 300-500 calorie deficit per day.
  • Luv2Scrap
    Options
    Thanks Cardinalgeorge. That's what I was thinking too. I know you have to burn 3600 calories to equal 1 lb of weight loss, so I figure this might better help me to guage where I'm at. I just don't want to put myself in a starvation mode and then not be successful because I'm not eating enough. Crazy to think I'm not eating enough. LOL

It's amazing. We are doing Weight Watchers and if I use way less than my daily points, I have smaller losing weeks. If I use them, most of the time, I lose more. It's crazy and I think calories are the same way. With Weight Watchers you earn activity points for exercise and you don't have to use them. My advice would be to use the 1,200 and not the extra 500 unless there is a temptation you can't resist.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

BAD ADVICE! READ THIS LINK!!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • Luv2Scrap
    Options
    OMGoodness! Thank you for posting that. Seriously, I don't know if I can eat anymore then I already do. This is gonna be a struggle for me.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    than it may be what you're eating that's the problem. Not all healthy foods are low in calories! REview your food intake and make sure that you're getting in all the nutrition and food groups into your diet! If you do all that than it shouldn't be a struggle to meet your calorie goal. Pyramid tracker is a great website to evaluate your nutrition.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    than it may be what you're eating that's the problem. Not all healthy foods are low in calories!

I agree -- if you're planning a day full of of low-calorie foods and need some extra healthy calories, a spoonful of peanut butter and 8oz milk gives you 200 calories. Plus, yum! :wink: