Changing my ways

Hi there,

Two years ago, on my own, I lost 35lbs in three months. That weight is all back, well, except for like 8lbs.

My eating habits are really erratic and I am trying to structure my time so I eat my meals at a set time. It hasn't been easy but I have to keep on trying. I am trying also to walk every day whether it is at the gym or in my neighborhood.

I joined this site in August but never came back to start using it until about a week ago and, so far, since I started posting my food intake and my walking I have been pretty good about eating my meals at a set time and do my walking at 6:00am before I go to work it and I have lost 2lbs.

One thing that has helped me is preparing everything the night before. That is something I never used to do and then in the morning I ate whatever, whenever and since I didn't prepare lunch the same thing happened so I ate the wrong foods at the wrong time all the time. Doing things in an organized manner is hard, really hard, but it really works.

You know that saying, "you can't teach new tricks to an old dog"? Well I am a 69 years old grandmother who needs to change her ways but I was doing things wrong for such a long time that I don't know if I will be able to do it. All I can do is keep on trying. They also say that if you start a new behavioral pattern and do it for 2 week uninterrupted the behavior becomes a habit. We'll see......

I also have a husband who can eat anything he wants and not gain an ounce and I have to have sweets and snacks for him at home so it is even more difficult. So far in the last two weeks I haven't touched any of the stuff. :smile:

Replies

• Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Welcome, Add me as a friend if you like:flowerforyou:

Hi there,

Two years ago, on my own, I lost 35lbs in three months. That weight is all back, well, except for like 8lbs.

My eating habits are really erratic and I am trying to structure my time so I eat my meals at a set time. It hasn't been easy but I have to keep on trying. So far, since I joined this site I have been pretty good about it and I have lost 2lbs. I am trying also to walk every day whether it is at the gym or in my neighborhood.

You know that saying, "you can't teach new tricks to an old dog"? Well I am a 69 years old grandmother who need to change her ways but I was doing things wrong for such a long time that I don't know if I will be able to do it. All I can do is keep on trying.

I also have a husband who can eat anything he wants and not gain an ounce and I have to have sweets and snacks for him at home so it is even more difficult. So far in the last two weeks I haven't touched any of the stuff.
    [/quote]
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Welcome. It is never too late to eat better and get some exercise.

I know what you mean by the husband eating anything he wants...mine is the same way. He hardly gains weight and when he gains a pound or two he can lose it so quickly while it might take me a month of some serious exercise and watching what I eat.
  • Welcome to MFP!
    I also have a husband and a teen that can rummage through the entirety of the cupboards and not gain an ounce. I have to fight the temptations as they like to eat all sorts of stuff not on my diet. lol.
  • Add me if you'd like! Having a good support system is important!
  • Hi Deb,

I would love to be your friend. You must be Brittish because of the way you described your weight gain, "stones". I have tried almost anything out there but I must agree with you tha Adkins is one of the best. I don't do the really strick one I do eat vegetables and some fruit to balance my food intake and I don't eat as much fat as they let you eat.

This time, however, I started with a detox which lasts two weeks and then I will follow with the diet. We'll see if it works.
  • I've been on for awhile now and I'm looking for some new friends that I can add or you can add me if you lie as well. I'm having trouble getting in shape and trying to eat better I just need some encouragement from some new friends that can help me along the way.
  • Hi there, The solution for the temptation to start eating all of his goodies: a cupboard in the garage. He can have all he wants in there and I will never touch it. If it is inside the house, watch out. I'm getting better, though. Since I started this diet my cravings for certain foods have just gone away. I hope they all go away.
  • Hi Mama78, Keep fighting girl. That is the only way to conquer our weight loss. Put the stuff in a different place so don't even have to look at it and that way you don't get tempted. Remeber "out of sight out of mind".
  • Hi Talena, I would love to be your friend!! I don't know how it works here but I suppose I send you a friend invitation???? I will do that. So....you are from Texas!! I lived in Houston for 13 years way back when and my daughter now lives in Houston with her two little girls. I loooooove Texas. Wish I could move back but for now I have to stay where I am.
  • Don't feel bad. I joined at the beginning of August and did nothing until last week. It is not easy to start a weight loss program when we have been eating everything and anything, including the kitchen sink unti, now. However, we can prep ourselves little by little in order to get the in the right frame of mind to start the "program".

Start little by little, for example, change your bread to whole wheat or multigrain and eat it only at breakfast. My big problem is Cuban bread and rice so I quit eating the Cuban bread because there is no healthy option and started eating brown rice but only 1/2 of what I used to eat at a seating and then I would skip a day then two days and now I only eat brwon rice once a week as a treat. Like I said it is not easy but you have to try.

You can add me as your friend if you wish and we will encourage each other on our way to beautiful.