SNAP study is just gross

Options

Replies

• desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I work at a bakery and people pay for their wedding cakes with LINK. I'm talking big, 3-tier cakes that cost hundreds of dollars. Not only that, they often buy their family and friend's wedding cakes as a gift with LINK as well.
  • JeBebe
    Options
    I'm not saying everyone abuses the system but a lot do. I have seen where some people who are on food stamps in Escalades and such. I also know people who do need the benefits and use them as well as the program WIC as it should be used, to nourish and feed children. There are people who abuse it and that comment was directed to that group. My point is, there could be a certain guideline in which there could be a list of foods NOT allowable to be purchased such as a cart full of doritos and donuts to be washed down with several 2 liters of soda .:noway:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    BTW, I did not label anyone in the program, nor am I saying we should not help people in need. Help should be healthy. If you don't want someone else regulating your food choices, pay for them yourself. That's all. God knows I make some unhealthy choices, but I pay for them out of pocket.

My critique is that for some reason no one in the government has the guts to say soda is bad for humans, and there we will not pay for it. I get the point of the study, which is that it is hard to draw a line between healthy and not healthy for some things. Sure. But gee, are we really going to say that soda is healthy? Their own report suggests that some candy bars are healthier than cheese. That is just plain dumb. Anybody who took 8th grade health class knows better. These are educated people making the call. Yuck.

But you can't determine what some people think is healthy and not others. The money it would take to figure that out and all the changes every time someone came up with a thought that some macro-nutrient is unhealthy would cause headaches. Some people on here believe moderation of all food is okay, some people believe that low carb is healthy, some people believe low fat is healthy. I had a nutritionist recently tell me that the American Heart Association still endorses margarine and that a little trans fat is okay. So who do you believe in what is healthy? If you go with the moderation camp then anything can be worked into a healthy diet. Are whole wheat crackers healthy? Some would say no because of the processing, low protein content, and low fiber content. Do you say that all processed food is unhealthy? Do you say processed (pasteurized) milk is unhealthy? Who gets to say what's healthy? Science is still debating things and depending on your situation one thing may be unhealthy for you but may be fine for someone else. So who makes the determination? And then how do you enforce it? Just because you think cookies are unhealthy - what if they are oatmeal/peanut butter cookies made with honey? How do you determine "unhealthy". And then, how can you say cookies are unhealthy if some breads like cinnamon raisin or cereal isn't? Some cereals are worse than cookies. So again how do you determine "healthy".

Its not hard or expensive for them to say these items are banned. Anything frozen, packaged, boxed, etc must be paid for in cash. Just like if you had toilet paper or paper towels and the cashier says this much in food stamps and this much due in cash. The same thing should be done, just ban it.

It should be that all you can buy with food stamps is RAW Meat, vegetables and fruit (frozen or fresh), nuts, seeds, beans, lentil and rice (must be dry bagged).

I have been on food stamps in the past and we NEVER bought anything that wasn't fresh meat, vegetables and fruit. But again, that is the way we eat anyway.
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As a previous user of the SNAP program, I believe that food restrictions should apply to high calorie, sugar filled junk food. I can't see the justification in buying treats for my family when we can afford real food in the first place. I know it's hard to buy nutritional food on a limited buget but at the same time the program is called SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM. Hence it is supossed to HELP one supplement their family with nutritious food.
  • devo182
    devo182 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think the whining about your taxpayer money regarding food stamps is pretty stupid, compared to all the actual dumbass things the government spends money on. Just sayin'.

I agree there are a lot of things we can point out, but other wrongs don't make wasting in this instance a right. We can complain about all waste, we don't have to pick and choose.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've never been on Food Stamps, but I've been in line in the grocery store with people who've paid with them. Being poor is humiliating enough without having your food choices dictated to you. Of course it would be preferable if people made better choices, but that would require education, resources, and a lot of the things that taxpayers don't want to pay for.

So no, I can't get worked up about it, especially when people with resources make poor dietary and health choices every single day.

One reason I like the high-volume soda restrictions that were just passed in NYC is because they are more even-handed. If you're rich or poor and want certain high-sugar drinks of over 16 ounces, you have to buy a second drink.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It isn't YOUR money to decide what to do with! If the government GIVES you something, then they indeed have the right to regulate how the money is used. IF you would like to be free to purchase what your heart desires, I suggest earning your own money. Simple solution, really.

I understand the point you're making here, but it doesn't really work does it. If someone gives you a money birthday gift, do they also get the right to say how you will spend it? If your employer gives you a Christmas bonus just because it's that time of year, does he come round to your home and criticise what you bought with it? Personally I'm not happy that the State would be allowed that level of interference in a person's life, even if they were receiving financial aid.

Exactly.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    As a previous user of the SNAP program, I believe that food restrictions should apply to high calorie, sugar filled junk food. I can't see the justification in buying treats for my family when we can afford real food in the first place. I know it's hard to buy nutritional food on a limited buget but at the same time the program is called SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM. Hence it is supossed to HELP one supplement their family with nutritious food.

Exactly. It is supposed to supplement your grocery budget, not pay for your whole grocery budget.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I don't agree, but respect your opinion, as you were actually in this program.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It isn't YOUR money to decide what to do with! If the government GIVES you something, then they indeed have the right to regulate how the money is used. IF you would like to be free to purchase what your heart desires, I suggest earning your own money. Simple solution, really.

I understand the point you're making here, but it doesn't really work does it. If someone gives you a money birthday gift, do they also get the right to say how you will spend it? If your employer gives you a Christmas bonus just because it's that time of year, does he come round to your home and criticise what you bought with it? Personally I'm not happy that the State would be allowed that level of interference in a person's life, even if they were receiving financial aid.

Are you really trying to compare a gift or a bonus that someone worked for to someone receiving government assistance?

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Utterly ridiculous analogy
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Meh, at least it's food. People use their EBT cards for strippers, gambling, stolen goods, cigarettes and alcohol and the gov't isn't doing a thing about it. Now that gets me steamed.

Food? Uneducated people make poor food choices but it's not just them. I mean why are we all here? We all make poor food choices. I don't care what people on EBT cards buy as long as it's food.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I teach school, kindergarten. What really gets to me as a taxpayer AND single mother is when students receive free lunch paid for by the taxpayer BUT they can bring $1 each day to buy and ice cream. That's $5 per week per kid in a family. Many of our families have 3 children in our school. That is $15 a week for ice cream...that would buy the school lunch for the students. I could see an ice cream on occasion, perhaps, but if you are so poor that you can't afford school lunch, then you should not buy ice cream. That $1 per day should be put towards the meal. Also, these same students do not eat the free lunch, it more often than not, goes right in the trash and the kids buy and eat the ice cream. Just what I want to teach...students with nothing in their bellies but ice cream each day and the lunch my tax dollars paid for in the trash. Our system is so messed up.
  • devo182
    Options
    God forbid low-income families occasionally treat themselves to a candy bar. The program is not a waste. Let people make their own decisions.
    It is a waste when large numbers of people buy nothing BUT candy bars and soda and chips and corn dogs and frozen pizzas and they feed their children with this. Children already suffer severely from lack of rights in this country, it's even worse when they can't even be fed proper foods and are molded into people who make bad nutritional choices in adulthood and perpetuate that on their own children whether they get food stamps or not.

Although I hate not being able to chose where my tax money goes to in general.
    Exactly. Hard workers usually treat ourselves, so once in a while it is ok for SNAP recipients to want a candy bar and such. But with the hand out being so generous, when other people struggle to get higher costing healthy food onto their table, that is a waste. Take the recreational money that one does have and use THAT for a treat, ice cream, etc. for children instead. At least WIC makes sure you have to get the basic staples which provide an outline for a healthy meal.
    Generous? A family of 4 gets $100 a week at most. That is not particularly generous. People that qualify for SNAP don't have recreational money. That's why they qualify for SNAP.

This can't be right. http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/18SNAPavg$PP.htm Their own statistics show the average person receives more than $100/month this year. By household it is $250-$350 on average.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I guess I don't look at it as a gift. The giver of a gift is a willing participant. I don't see myself as a willing participant when it comes to tax dollars. The money is simply taken from me and given to others. I, too, loathe government intrusion, however, I do think that when the government is giving other peoples' money away, there should indeed be regulation. Furthermore, if someone wants to avoid government interference in their life, they should NOT depend on the government for their well-being. Clearly I understand there are areas of gray (disability), however, in all, I support this type of regulation. I do agree that this type of a regulation (healthy vs unhealthy food) would be very difficult to impose, however, I think it could be done.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If I give someone money, I do have a say in how they use it. I agree with the OP. But, I do understand the governments side of it too. It's probably a huge political hot button, and huge expenses to manage. And then what happens if someone buys something they aren't supposed to? You cut them off? Fine them? Put them in jail? It's almost not unforceable. So, I agree with both sides.

My sister was on food stamps for years, and ate nothing but junk food with it. It pissed me off so bad you don't even know.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I teach school, kindergarten. What really gets to me as a taxpayer AND single mother is when students receive free lunch paid for by the taxpayer BUT they can bring $1 each day to buy and ice cream. That's $5 per week per kid in a family. Many of our families have 3 children in our school. That is $15 a week for ice cream...that would buy the school lunch for the students. I could see an ice cream on occasion, perhaps, but if you are so poor that you can't afford school lunch, then you should not buy ice cream. That $1 per day should be put towards the meal. Also, these same students do not eat the free lunch, it more often than not, goes right in the trash and the kids buy and eat the ice cream. Just what I want to teach...students with nothing in their bellies but ice cream each day and the lunch my tax dollars paid for in the trash. Our system is so messed up.

I HAVE LIVED THIS FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS! I agree with you 100%!!!! Not to mention that in my experience, most of the FRL recipients lie on their application forms to receive the benefit. It is sickening to say the least. I do feel terrible for those truly in need because these types of scammers give the lot of those whose use FRL and benefits similar a bad name.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Well I feed my kids foo from the garden and I but mostly whole grain breads and lean meats. But on occasion I also need to buy them some sweats, or candy for easter, christmas etc, and do to my current finacial situation if I didnt have SNAP benefits I wouldnt eat. So I believe it is the one who is receiving the SNAP benefits to determine wheather they want to get clean and healthy, not for the goverment or you to regulate it!!! Thanks

I will probably be reported for this, but oh well. Truth hurts sometimes....

To carry your standard to its logical conclusion, we'd have to stop Medicare coverage of any medical problem influenced by lifestyle choices. Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, arguably some types of cancer, etc. If that doesn't make any sense to you, then your thoughts on food stamps shouldn't either. If it does make sense to you, then you scare me.
  • devo182
    Options

Lol no one is giving them a birthday gift or bonus. People are saying they are DESPERATE to survive, so they will accept money from others to do so. If your neighbor comes over and says he needs $100 of your money to get by for the month, then he goes and spends $20 of it on beer and snacks, how would that make you feel? A bit used? I'm just saying, when taxpayers give someone money because they are so desperate they will take others' money to live off of, then we should have a say that they use it responsibly. It just shows poor accountability and respect for others' hard earned money otherwise.
  • karylee44
    Options
    alright, normally i stay out of crap like this.. but not today.. my husband hasn't worked in 3 years.. i now work two jobs.. and receive food stamps.. there is no way i can get myself out of debt, pay for luxuries like electricity and water without the help of food stamps and the local church pantry. I get paid less than 500 for a family of 5. i make my own bread, i buy store brands, i shop with coupons and if i want a soda i will buy a freaken soda.. mind your own f(* business. i try to make my money go as far as it can and still try to get my kids good food.. but if i dont have time everyweek to make them homemade oatmeal or zuchinni cookies because im working two jobs.. then screw you if i want to buy them a treat. and you know what.. i buy steak.. yes.. (gasp) i do.. i buy the little stir fry pieces that i can cook and make into 5 sandwitches. cheapest meat there.. i cant buy prepared foods.. no roasted chicken or prepared potatos.. even though one chicken would cost only $4. and feed my family for the week (chicken one night.. sandwitches and then soup). im discusted at your view of all of us POOR people. its hard enough living off no money int tight times.. but harder when people with their noses in the air and their thumb up there.. gets into someone elses buisness. Im not stupid.. i have a buisness and a fine art degree and used to make over .60 thousand a year. my husband was a areospace engineer and brought in well over 80 a year. but times are crap around here and jobs are hart to find let alone pay well enough for a large family..

get off your f(&^ pedistal.
  • misscrazO
    misscrazO Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    God forbid low-income families occasionally treat themselves to a candy bar. The program is not a waste. Let people make their own decisions.
    What you said
This discussion has been closed.