For the cardio junkies who hate lifting

Options
I started lifting this week and upped my protein and dropped 3.2 lbs in 5 days... and a half inch off my waist, hips and bust (not that I wanted to lose off my bust, but I digress...)

They may be on to something... as much as I hate to admit it.

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Lifting has way more health & aesthetic benefits than steady state cardio.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Amen, sister!!!!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    you need a balance of both. no good looking buff and having strength to lift and not being able to run! or being able to run fast and not able to lift...

You can do both on an elliptical.. :)
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    cardio junkies *looks around* i dont know any cardio junkies! not me, no ma'am, no no no. lol.
    glad to hear ur making such good progess! are u sticking to a certain program or routine??

..wait are u using NROLFW??? my gf and i r supposed to be getting together tonight to have a little look see and pick at the book a bit :D
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a month and haven't seen results like that. I've gained weight. I am hoping over the 6 month cycle the fat will go away. That's all I am really concerned with at this point.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a month and haven't seen results like that. I've gained weight. I am hoping over the 6 month cycle the fat will go away. That's all I am really concerned with at this point.

As a beginner you should be able to lose fat and gain muscle. Just continue to lift, do it heavy, and eat around maintenance or a little in deficit.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    you need a balance of both. no good looking buff and having strength to lift and not being able to run! or being able to run fast and not able to lift...

wait....what?!

P.S. I vote both. I'm running faster than I have in YEARS because of lifting.

Edit...typo
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have always loved my cardio (a lot) HIIT, steep inclines, going hell for leather to see how fast I can go for how long - woo hoo love it - but have recently felt confident enough to venture into the weights area.

I tried not to panic as I got a temporary gain and my HRM is reporting a much smaller burn on weights days ( but I know that I will be benefiting over the next 48hrs) - and man I have been hungry the last week or two but...

yes I can already see a difference in my body composition - tops are not as clingy and the scales are starting to move again. I am still doing my cardio on alternate days but I am looking forward to the next weights session to see if I can pop another wee bit onto the barbell :)
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What kind of weights do u do? I carry a 4 kg dumbbells with ke on my daily one hour walk/ jogging/fast walking excersices. I hope that will help me.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i think its hard to hate lifting once you actually do it for a few days, it rocks!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    you already have some nice guns!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    But if I lift, I will get bulky! :sad:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I started lifting this week and upped my protein and dropped 3.2 lbs in 5 days... and a half inch off my waist, hips and bust (not that I wanted to lose off my bust, but I digress...)

Weight lifting is not responsible for that rapid and dramatic a loss. It's probably water weight.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lifting rules! I made the fatal error of doing nothing but cardio when dropping my weight. Now I'm putting some back on to get the muscle back that I lost. :sad: I've been lifting for about 4 months now, put on about 8 lbs, and look better now than I did before. Plus its way more fun.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    But if I lift, I will get bulky! :sad:

I'm beating a dead horse, but if I used direct weight on certain body parts, I wouldn't get weight-lifter bulky, but I would get larger than I'd like.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options

If you are still eating at a defecit, lifting really shouldnt make you put on weight. Hit the weights, HEAVY, a few days a week and you'll see the changes. It takes a couple months to see the changes yourself. Take pictures of your progress. You'll regret it if you dont....like me. Def still want to cycle in some cardio too tho. I run or bicycle 2-3 days a week and lift 3 days. Diet is really the most important thing tho. Eat lots of lean protein and veggies, and stay under your maintanence cal intake.....you'll be golden
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Uh no you can't...
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Alright, another person that is willing to try a new idea;) What's hard is when someone doesn't even want to try it out, they are just dead set in their own way. I love learning, heck, that's why I am in school again, :laugh:

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh thanks for sharing, there are so many that are stuck in that mode and I am soooooooooo glad you got out of it, fabulous!! I see especially women every single day actually keeping track of .2 ounces lost. as well as eating 600 calories a day. I saw one this a.m. and she was so thrilled. All I felt was sad because most won't listen and we can't make them.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience honey, it might help a lot of people!! Keep it up!! denise

Lifting rules! I made the fatal error of doing nothing but cardio when dropping my weight. Now I'm putting some back on to get the muscle back that I lost. :sad: I've been lifting for about 4 months now, put on about 8 lbs, and look better now than I did before. Plus its way more fun.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Muscle is the most effective fat burner our body has. If we tone and fuel our muscles they WILL rid our bodies of stored fat. I've seen too much evidence of this to deny it and I am on track now too.

denise

Weight lifting is not responsible for that rapid and dramatic a loss. It's probably water weight.