Oh Coffee, You Horrid B****.

Options
So, this time I have decided to make a complete lifestyle change instead of trying to diet. Its going pretty well. I'm using portion control, healthier choices and frequent snacks to make better choices in the nutritional aspect of my life. But its coffee. It gets me every damn time. The problem is, I don't and cannot drink it black. I feel like I need it, want it, have to have it to stay awake in my morning classes. But again, my idea of a coffee is a cinnamon dolce latte from starbucks. Did I mention Venti?

Give up the coffee, you say. Try tea instead, you say. But, this is a lifestyle CHANGE. What if I don't want to live in a world where I can't have my latte in the morning? What then? Can I just drink it and exercise extra hard later? Am I shooting myself in the foot? I have already made it as healthy as I can. I get it made with nonfat milk, hold the whip. I'm not going sugar free. If I'm drinking it, I'm drinking it. I did stop asking for extra syrup though. Today I drank one and a half. But then, I also went and did an hour on the elliptical. Thoughts?

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I make room for at least one latte a day.

If you can't make it fit, try a smaller coffee?
  • grlloyd1
    Options
    Have you tried just black coffee? That's one of the first things I did was take out all the sugar and milk I was drinking in coffee!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If its something you do not want to give up permanently, don't give it up at all. Just make sure it fits into your calorie goals and macros. The milk in the latte, assuming you are using cows milk is a nice source of protein.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    That's not coffee you're drinking. What you are drinking is a big cup of calories, carbs and fat. Evil thing to do to those poor coffee beans.

Have you ever tried the flavored varieties of coffee? Black (as coffee is meant to be) many of them have very sweet flavors.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Torani makes syrups sweetened with splenda. I put just a dash in my coffee and it's really good.

My fiance has the exact same problem as you do. Venti cinnamon dolce lattes. Something like 300+ calories and 55 carbs. I've ordered some Torani syrups he may like, but they haven't arrived yet. The "skinny" cinnamon dolce he got tonight tasted like crap.

Feel free to add me and we can share stories of our Starbucks trials and tribulations. ;)
  • labyrinthrunner
    Options
    Like which? Can you suggest one? If its flavored, does it have calories? Black coffee always tastes bitter to me. I like the way it tastes with all the yummy calories though...
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Why not have your coffee with a tablespoon of Stevia and a 1/2 ounce of milk? That's what I do; plus, I drink another 20 ounces of milk throughout the day too.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: cant stomach tea...at all ...but brought a Nespresso Coffee machine .....Make my own latte s with skim milk ....works for me !
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee!? cra-zy! I would try to slowly cut back on the milk, then switch to low fat, and plan to fit it in your daily calorie allowance. I used to drink coffee with milk, but these days love it black and rarely have coffee with milk.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Like which? Can you suggest one? If its flavored, does it have calories? Black coffee always tastes bitter to me. I like the way it tastes with all the yummy calories though...

I buy whole bean coffee of different varieties depending on where I'm at. Most good grocery stores carry it. Flavor choice really depends on what you like. If you go with an organic variety they tend to be less bitter. I like the different chocolate blends. And they have the same calories as any other cup of coffee.
  • roguestates
    Options
    If you're totally unwilling to give up your "coffee" -- then go for a Tall instead of a Venti. You can still have your treat, but this size will be easier to fit into your calorie allotment.

edit: once you reduce your sugar intake, you might find these drinks more unpleasant. I don't do well with added sugars in anything anymore.
  • antonyheaven
    antonyheaven Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds like consistent feedback here. It really does sound like you're holding onto milk and sugar rather than coffee. Don't stress it. Your tastebuds will change over time. You're already cutting out various bits and pieces. Presumably you'll cut out or reduce the size when you're ready.

As I write this I'm drinking black coffee and eating a crisp sweet apple. Whatever you choose to consume, enjoy it :smile:
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with coffee with (not whole) milk and 3 splendas. I have that both on my running and non running mornings. Seriously, make your own rather than buying.
  • labyrinthrunner
    Options
    Gosh. But, If I make my own, I will have like $40 a week that I will have no idea what to do with... :-).

Honestly though, I might look into that. I have no idea how to make espresso, but, I'm looking.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have coffee every morning. I add a splash of almond or coconut milk and two tablespoons of one of the sugar-free Torani syrups (I have 8 flavors so far lol), throw that in the blender with some ice and make a frappuccino out of it. The only calories in it are from the little bit of milk but almond and coconut milk are so low calorie anyway it doesn't really add up much.

There are low calorie ways to make coffee and still keep it interesting :) I look forward to my coffee every morning!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I used to have 3 sugars in my large costa latte - maybe 2 or 3 times a day.

Honestly, since I gave up sugar, I don't miss the taste of it at all - you get used to it in about 1-2 weeks.

All things in moderation - you don't have to give up your coffees, you just have to make them a bit healthier, and then you can have the best of all worlds.

If it's really too bad to go without sugar, maybe try sweetener?
  • honeythatsokay
    Options
    I feel your pain! I used to be ADDICTED to Starbucks, seriously liquid heaven. A few years ago I realized that I couldn't support a $5+ habit a day on coffee as a grad student and started to brew my own coffee, but still using flavored syrups at home. Then I learned you can buy most syrups from Starbucks! I was thrilled - toffee nut was my favorite and I kept it stocked in my fridge for well over a year while severely cutting down on my Starbucks spending habits. A $8 bottle would last months, even if I had three big cups a day.

About six months ago something weird happened, though. I couldn't concentrate worth a damn, I seriously felt I was developing ADD at the age of 27. I thought I was going crazy and I was having major difficulties working on my thesis. I decided to go through all the labels on everything I ate regularly. I try to eat only organic and clean, but every now and then some nasty chemicals sneak in but I've developed such a sensitivity to them I can usually spot them, and eliminate them. I finally got around to checking the Starbucks syrup label (I had been so excited that it didn't contain corn syrup for the longest time) only to learn it contains sodium benzoate, which is linked to hyperactivity!

I poured out the toffee nut syrup bottle a few months ago and I have only gone back to Starbucks twice since then. Both times were a disappointment. Too sweet and chemically tasting, I did not enjoy it. My concentration is slowly coming back to normal and I definitely feel less crazy and scatter-minded.

That's my Starbucks tale of woe, but my wallet and my sanity are a lot better for it!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Coffee on it's own is calorie free (although diuretic). Switch your sugar out for sweetener and drink an Americano with skimmed or semi skimmed milk instead of latte. About 20 calories a cup with 25ml of milk I think. Just drink plenty of water to get around the dehydration effect.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Coffee is actually GOOD for you. Don't put it down. I drink several each day & not black either. It actually pumps up your heart a little & that in turn makes you burn a little more. Don't diss coffee, just dont have it sugar loaded.
  • bap2011
    bap2011 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a tea drinker not a coffee drinker, but I feel for you. The coffee you describe is not coffee, it's liquid dessert :)

As a new diabetic, I have had to give up frivolous sugar by necessity. Really, once you get used to living without sugar, sugar is way too sweet. My sweeteners of choice that really taste good to me are Truvia (granular) and NuNaturals Stevia (drops). Seriously my kids try to sneak the Truvia because it tastes like cotton candy.

For my "milk", I use unsweetened vanilla coconut milk. Very low in calories and good for you. And did I mention YUMMY.

And, if you must keep the coffee, experiment with high quality stuff. Really, the sugar and the milk are masking the bitterness - get a higher quality coffee and you won't feel you need to mask the bitterness as much. No idea what to tell you for coffee since I'm a tea girl... I don't do Lipton any more it tastes like crap to me. I am mostly a Republic of Tea girl, with decadent flavors like Strawberry Chocolate (put in that truvia and van/coconut milk and it is an awesome way to have chocolate without killing your diet!)

Yours truly, the tea snob.