Big calves

Options
Hey everyone, I have quite big calves and can only just do up my new Dr Marten boots :*( I've not got a huge amount left to lose, just 5kg (although it's the hardest 5kg yet!) and I've been upping my cardio and resistance training. Will this slim down my calves or bulk up the muscle making them even bigger? If so what can I do to slim them down just a bit so boots fit?

Replies

• phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have been running and stairstepping and mine are getting bigger. I think part of it is genetic. If you notice your parents have big calves, you probably will, too, and any exercise targeting that muscle will make them bigger. On the other hand, if it is just a lot of adipose tissue making them big, I don't see how building the muscle under it will hurt you.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    hey there..
    this is something i have an issue with..I was a dancer and runner when i was younger and my legs get very muscular...even when slimmer they are bigger than average.men get jealous..(thats not a good thing).anyway I find that doing lots of stretches helps to lenghten out the muscle instead of bulf it up more ..stand on the stairs with your heals off do this *kitten* much as you can especialy after exercise. they wil go down with weight loss but if your like me you will always have a decent calf..mine is 15inch..lol....
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too... I have been exercising on the elliptical and stationary bike... Along with my weight loss, they are at last getting smaller xxx
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Calves are mostly genetic. Some people never work out and have huge calves, others workout calves with weights etc. and cant get theirs to grow. Unfortunately there isnt much you can do about it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Compression socks can help if you retain water in your lower legs. I was in hospital last year and wore compression socks due to risk of thrombosis. Was surprised by how dainty my ankles looked, compared to normal. You can buy compression socks for sports from the major brands. Runners, footballers, etc use them to improve circulation and prevent injury. I find they feel just as tight as the standard hospital grade ones.
  • volamena
    Options
    Same problem here but unfortunately I don't think there's much to do about it. My parents were very athletic and as a teenager I was too. Even when I had 25pounds less than now I've always had big calves. I'm a runner and tennis player so....
    I'll try strectching as someone said above.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Id love to know the answer to this!

My calves have always been big, i always had trouble finding long riding boots to fit, let alone normal boots. Its like i have rugby player calves! I wish they would slim down, only being 5'2 it doesn't look good!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have big calves and have grown to love them...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LottieLou13/view/definitions-i-has-them-409881

You can't lengthen muscles....

Like someone else said its mostly genetic, I would learn to love them and embrace your strong calves :flowerforyou:
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys, it's not that I dislike them, I just wish my boots fitted better lol
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I used to have big calves. I lift heavy and have a lot of muscle on my calves, but once I lost the fat the boots started fitting.

You will be fine once you lose the fat. Exercise hard. No way your muscles will get too big no matter how hard you work those calves unless you take steroids.

Just lose the fat and workout hard and it all falls into place.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have big calves as well its a ***** to buy boots!
  • junekmoore
    Options
    I totally understand as I too have this problem. I do remember wearing boots in high school when I was much thinner. I am thinking now as my weight reduces my calves will also. I gain weight evenly all over so I hope to get a pair this winter. I must say I enjoy the compliments I get...........especially from guys :) .
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this issue...my mom tells me I got mine from my great-aunt...I have always been self-conscious in dresses that aren't long...
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would like to disagree with the comment that it is impossible to lengthen muscle. That is not true. Stretching lengthens muscle. Slouching shortens muscle- sometimes permanently or until you start a program of stretching to re-lengthen that muscle. While genetics does determine bone structure, and thus muscle placement and size- it is still possible to use yoga and stretching to tone w/u adding bulk.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    you most definately can stretch out muscles. when ladys wear heels it shortens them and they need stretching out this is why its a good idea to where flats as often as possible. I hated my legs for many years and i learnt which ways to improve them..
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have big defined calves from biking my whole life, and now from strength training. I love them and always have. I don't have a lot of fat to lose from my calves, but I have a little and when that's gone I'll hopefully fit in boots better. That is the only thing I don't like about big calves.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Walking, sprinting, running uphill, stairs, all increase your calves. Running on a flat surface won't affect them. Starve yourself and they will slowly break down and reduce body fat.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Hey everyone, I have quite big calves and can only just do up my new Dr Marten boots :*( I've not got a huge amount left to lose, just 5kg (although it's the hardest 5kg yet!) and I've been upping my cardio and resistance training. Will this slim down my calves or bulk up the muscle making them even bigger? If so what can I do to slim them down just a bit so boots fit?

Big calves are sexy.. You should keep em.. Real men like it. :)
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have done a yoga workout this morning and I think it has helped slightly, I'm going to try and do stretches of some sort every day as I do wear heals to work so I probably have very short muscles.
  • RussellEmmert
    RussellEmmert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Running tons of volume can slim down claves, running stairs can do the opposite.