Anyone box?

Options
Ive decided I would really like to try boxing but I'm worried I should be fitter before joining the boxing gym.
I've done a few of the cardio boxing classes at my current gym and have a bag of my own but I know they are worlds away from actual fighting technique.

So I guess my question is if anyone has started training proper boxing while still being overweight or if I should wait until I'm fitter?

Replies

• yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did it for about a year and was heavy when I started. It's a lot of conditioning combined with skills training. I absolutely loved it and still have my gloves and wraps. I relocated and haven't been able to find a ring that is in my area and I miss sparring. That was the most fun for me.

Try it now if you are curious. A good trainer will work with you no matter what level of fitness you are at. It really is a lot of fun and a killer workout.
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend starting with a one on one trainer and then going to classes?
    I get a little intimidated in groups so i thought would be a good way to start but naturally its more money....
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I did some years ago.
    When I first went along I was pretty unfit. Didn't cause a problem at all, about from being SERIOUSLY knackered the day after for the first few times :) - this was to a 'small town' gym where it was taken fairly seriously with at least 3/4 of the people there fighting competitively, which I wasn't really interested in. Everyone was friendly and I don't think it hurt being a teenager in the small town I lived in that the diminutive but known-nutter ex-schoolboy area boxing champion would say 'hi' to me in the street :).
    If you want to get in to a bit of shape first - go running. It's free and I will put in you in good stead for the general 'exercise'. Could always supplement some pushups too for more free exercise (which should help with the punching)*.
    But, overall I'm sure you'll be fine at 'most-all places.

I did look at doing Muay Thai (crazy nutter kick boxing) once, but the place I went to was ultra serious and when I went to talk about, he basically said don't bother when he could see I wasn't aiming to win a title.
    My friend where I live now did it and he said where he does it would be fine with anyone going along.

*I've been doing the "100 pushups" 6 week course thing, there's websites about it and an app too, as well as a thread on here. Haven't tried a single 'test' yet, but from doing a maximum of 33 at the start, yesterday did 35 after having done over 100 in intervals two minutes before!
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started overweight and trained/fought in western boxing and muay thai for 10 years. I'd recommend going to classes first. Seize the day. If you're nervous, you can use the nervous energy in the class to push you further. The more nerves you have, the bigger the high afterwards! ;) Picking a gym depends on what you want from the boxing. Send me a message if you have something to ask, I'll be happy to help. All the best :)
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I started kickboxing a couple months ago. The place I go to is a cross-fit box/Taekwondo place. They are pretty serious- the head of the TKD was one of coaches for the US Olympic team, and all the coaches for the class are current or former TKD competitors. It gives me confidence that they know and will be sticklers for proper form and safety. We sparred for the first time yesterday, I loved it, some of the others, not so much. I love how the people in the class become motivational, and it doesn't take long to see fitness improvements. Everybody there is in different stages of fitness and ability, too. We help keep each other accountable. I would definitely recommend it to anybody.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I figured once I can run 5 miles a day comfortably, I'll try myself to a membership at the boxing gym. But that's just me, if you want to try it now go for it! :D
  • geebusuk
    Options
    You shouldn't need that level of fitness to start really - suspect even some there won't be that fit.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started kickboxing just over a year ago was very very unfit when i started weighed close to 13 stone and was a size 16(uk). When i first started out i couldnt even manage a full circuit round the matt or more than 3 mins on the bags without having to break. Everybody was very friendly and motivational,especially those at the gym that competed. I am now set to have my first competetive fight in october still working hard on my fitness because its always about getting to the next level. but i can now manage round after round of sparring am now at a size 10 (uk) and weigh 11st 4lb. Dont use being unfit as an excuse,start as you mean to go on :)
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Nice result cjsmommy7!