Is cardio pointless

Options
I have seen so many people on here say that cardio is pointless, is it? I want to lose weight another 24pounds and I do weight training as well but I do quite a lot more cardio than weight training.

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    a calorie burned is a calorie burned how is that pointless, even the biggest weight lifters will do cardio also.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    a calorie burned is a calorie burned how is that pointless, even the biggest weight lifters will do cardio also.

^^this
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's not pointless. Increased cardiovascular fitness will help your weight training, however - as a woman, especially - lifting more weights and lifting heavier than you think is extremely beneficial. It all depends on your goals and preference. Personally I'd prefer a 30 minute run one day, and heavy weights the next rather than an hour on a treadmill or elliptical every day.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio is pointless at all--it's actually very important. However, when a person is aiming to lose weight and ALL they do is cardio with no strength training included (which is not your case), it's not the most effective way to lose weight....a person has to do both for maximum effectiveness.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If all you're trying to do by doing cardio is lose weight maybe one could argue that it's pointless. I also do cardio to strengthen my heart, lower my blood pressure and stave off diabetes - so I think I am getting tremendous benefit from cardio. For the record, I also strength train.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    For me, I feel better when I run. I absolutely love it. It makes my day and makes me feel fantastic within my body. I don't think the scale is important at all. My overall health is the main goal. Whatever it is for you, strive to have health on your side. Your relationship to gravity shouldn't even be a factor.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I lost a huge amount of weight doing mostly cardio. I now can run (thanks to the cardio) and still am losing weight. It's not pointless & dont let anyone tell you its not.

BTW because of doing more cadio thank anything else I run for over an hour a day ...every day.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    A good "program" should address cardio, strength, and flexibility (not necessarily all in the same workout, just over the course of each handful of days). Focusing on only one part of the plan will only get you so far on your road to health and fitness.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    a macho virus has infested this site. the virus is called "lift heavy and quit cardio".

cardiovascular exercise (cardio) should be a staple of your fitness and health and weight loss lifestyle.

cardio got a bad rap from the body builders who want to get BIGGER than necessary for any purpose other than being big.

then this site got a few of those guys and gals here and it spread like wild fire.
  • roguestates
    Options
    Cardio is important, but only powerful when paired with strength training. That is, if your goal is fat loss. I stick to walking and Tabata (max intensity, short intervals) and bodyweight (until I have access to a gym).
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    a macho virus has infested this site. the virus is called "lift heavy and quit cardio".

cardiovascular exercise (cardio) should be a staple of your fitness and health and weight loss lifestyle.

cardio got a bad rap from the body builders who want to get BIGGER than necessary for any purpose other than being big.

then this site got a few of those guys and gals here and it spread like wild fire.

:laugh: agreed
    Do whatever is working for you!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I do hardcore cardio 2-3 times a week, the other times I weight train :smile:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Cardio, although i find it boring, is a necessary evil for weight loss and general toning of the body. It is also the best way to condition your heart, which is a muscle also.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yes. Getting fit, increasing longevity, strengthening your heart, reducing your risk of various cancers ... these are all 'pointless'.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I find HIIT very beneficial. I tried steady-state CV* and it did work for a while but then I appeared to get fatter. :huh: I now only use HIIT and have found it helps smash through plateaus if I stop CV for some reason.

*-on the plus side, I have had job offers left, right and centre. Budum tss!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anybody say cardio was pointless. Cardio strengthens the cardiovascular system even if it didnt burn a nice amount of calories the heart health benefits alone make it very worthwhile.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yeah you cant lose weight on cardio! I mean look at all those Fat *kitten* marathon runners! :tongue:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Cardio, although i find it boring, is a necessary evil for weight loss and general toning of the body.

this is part of the problem. cardio benefits the heart for health and fitness and burns calories for weight loss but it does not "tone" your body unless "toning" means weight loss
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anybody say cardio was pointless. Cardio strengthens the cardiovascular system even if it didnt burn a nice amount of calories the heart health benefits alone make it very worthwhile.

I'm afraid you haven't been around long enough

Most of us take a more sensible and measured view that a blend of cardiovascular activity and strength training is optimum for both weightloss and health. (That seems to be a view that confuses some of them... too nuanced, really, I suspect.)

And on that provocative note, that's me signing out of this thread, before the inevitable begins. Life is too short.
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    cardio is extremely beneficial in my opinion, though strength training a few times a week is a good idea too