Lean Cuisine and Fit and Active?

daad13
daad13 Posts: 68
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hey Guys :smile:

My school starts soon, and I'm worried about what will become of my eating habits. I am planning to eat the same amount of calories I do now, but during school days, I tend to eat what is available in our school (and believe me it is NEVER healthy food!)
I was wondering if any of you would recommend microwaveable foods like Lean Cuisine and the Fit and Active type?
I think it would help me because they are moderate portions, and I would know how many calories I consumed then.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• If you do eat micro meals be careful about the sodium they are usually pretty high. However they will probably be better for you than cafateria food. You might could try Healthy Choice meals. Some of them are lower in sodium. I eat micro meals sometimes on busy days and just make sure I drink plenty of water and watch my sodium for the rest of the day.
  • daad13
    Thanks! I'll definitely check out that brand, because anything is better than cafeteria food.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Besides Healthy Choice, you can also look at Smart Ones, and the Safeway store brand Eating Right. In all cases, read the labels for sodium. There are plenty of choices with less than 600 mg of sodium. I try to shoot for those options and I am able to keep my sodium under 1700 mg for the day. I watch it closely due to my blood pressure.

Another option would be to figure out things you would like to eat that you can bring from home. Some ideas are veggies with hummus; hard boiled eggs. There are many other options.

Good luck, and congrats on planning ahead for the new year:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I had an okay time eating healthy in undergrad...they always had a big salad bar with various forms of lean and fattier proteins, light dressings, lots of veggies. I avoided the lines with pizza, pasta, burgers etc. and the dessert bar as well LOL
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    I usually take lean pockets-they come in all sorts of flavors and are whole wheat. I had a ham,turkey and cheese one today for lunch and it had 260 cals and 500mg of sugar which isnt too bad!! And then I just paired it with a container of yogurt and water.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    They are fine just try and pick ones that have less than 600mg of sodium in them. I like the michelina lean gourmet meals they are CHEAP and taste just as good as the other ones. Sodium isn't too bad in them either.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Lean Cuisine is my fave :) Their flatbreads are amazing...pizzas are just ok..I really like the one with chicken, snap peas, edamame, peppers in a teriyaki sauce. Full of veggies! Yum!

Lean pockets are small yet, you could pair them with a salad and it would be okay!

I have found that sandwiches are a pretty safe bet. Get no mayo and your good. I eat a sandwich pretty much everyday, and you can get them in the food court!
  • daad13
    Thank you guys for sharing these different brands and ideas!
    I have a hard time staying away from the pizza,nachos, and etc... section of the cafeteria but this will keep me going.
    I have found some meals that have less than 600mg of sodium (500-580)
    That's about it, but I guess that's a start. :smile:
    Thanks for all of your help!

Oh, and tomorrow's the last day of 2009!!!
    I hope all of your goals are met, and advanced Happy New Year :drinker:
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    I always pack my lunch and dinner if I have a night class...but if I'm eating out I stick to grilled chicken sandwiches and salads minus the mayo and heavy dressings..or if everything in the cafeteria is bad eat small or try making something like a burger healthier by getting rid of the mayo, cheese and bun and maybe get some extra lettuce and tomato...

Honestly I prefer to pack my lunch because I'll stay on track...this may sound crazy but I always carry things in my bag like campbells soup at hand, granola bars, oatmeal or grits packets, 100 calorie packs or zip lock bags of raw veggies, fruit like apples, pears or some kind of citrus, crackers and laughing cow cheese wedges, a sandwich...

I dont carry all of that stuff in my bag at all once but I try to always have something that I can either have as a meal or snack that wont kill my day..I find it takes all of the guess work out of my food especially when I work and go to school full time.
    I'm not totally against mico meals but as everyone has already stated they are full of sodium and some of them leave you feeling hungry.. my favorite micro meals would have to be Healthy Chioce Steam meals or better yet green giant steam veggies (potatoes, sugar snap peas and red peppers) with a morningstar tomato basil patty..YUM!!!

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
This discussion has been closed.