I'm no expert....

Options
BUT...I've been reading a lot of recent posts from fellow MFP members who seem to be needing motivation, exercise ideas and the like...SO, I was thinking about this while walking on the treadmill and decided to give y'all some of the things that I've used over the last several years while trying to lose pounds, get fit & healthy...I apologize in advance if some of this is redundant, but it might help someone anyway...

1. Every little bit of activity helps...I started by walking laps around my home (silly??? maybe, but it got me moving). Gradually I used the stairs in the house (that's right, laps around the house and a kazillion trips up & down the steps). I'm now up to 4 miles/day on the treadmill
2. The dreaded treadmill...it's boring, mine wobbles so reading is out of the question, it seems to take FOREVER...some ideas??? Recite nursery rhymes while you walk, break your walk down into 5 - 10 minute intervals changing up the speed & incline as you go. Instead of doing your entire walk at one time, take several walks during the day...Hey, it all adds up in the end.
3. Go to the library or video store...and check out some workout videos...many video stores offer these at no charge.
4. No gym locally, or no $$ for a gym membership or expensive equipment...NO PROBLEM...I, for one have never had a gym membership and have successfully lost weight and inches...what to do????
push-ups (I use the modified or girl method)..you're using the weight of your own body as resistance, have canned goods or water bottles in your cupboards??? then you have weights...you can do curls, butterflies, presses etc simply using a 1 pound can of Spaghettios...sit-ups & crunches require no equipment and help to strenghthen your core...BUT, you have to make sure that you do them correctly in order to avoid injuring your back or straining your neck...when doing crunches make sure that the small of your back stays firmly on the floor and cradle your head at the crown with your fingertips, pull your belly button towards the small of your back (suck it in) and do the work with your tummy muscles..
5. Moms...play with your kids!!!!! dance, run, hide & seek....it's good for everybody

I could go on and on, but I think you should get the idea...once your body gets used to your exercise routine, it will crave it as much as it craves that donut, cookie, ice cream etc...rheston said it best on a previous post...the chemicals released in your brain when you exercise are addictive...Believe it!!!!! :flowerforyou: -vee

A couple of other things...you must stay hydrated...drink your water and STRETCH before and after you exercise...now I'm done (for now):noway:

Replies

• doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    BUT...I've been reading a lot of recent posts from fellow MFP members who seem to be needing motivation, exercise ideas and the like...SO, I was thinking about this while walking on the treadmill and decided to give y'all some of the things that I've used over the last several years while trying to lose pounds, get fit & healthy...I apologize in advance if some of this is redundant, but it might help someone anyway...

1. Every little bit of activity helps...I started by walking laps around my home (silly??? maybe, but it got me moving). Gradually I used the stairs in the house (that's right, laps around the house and a kazillion trips up & down the steps). I'm now up to 4 miles/day on the treadmill
    2. The dreaded treadmill...it's boring, mine wobbles so reading is out of the question, it seems to take FOREVER...some ideas??? Recite nursery rhymes while you walk, break your walk down into 5 - 10 minute intervals changing up the speed & incline as you go. Instead of doing your entire walk at one time, take several walks during the day...Hey, it all adds up in the end.
    3. Go to the library or video store...and check out some workout videos...many video stores offer these at no charge.
    4. No gym locally, or no $$ for a gym membership or expensive equipment...NO PROBLEM...I, for one have never had a gym membership and have successfully lost weight and inches...what to do????
    push-ups (I use the modified or girl method)..you're using the weight of your own body as resistance, have canned goods or water bottles in your cupboards??? then you have weights...you can do curls, butterflies, presses etc simply using a 1 pound can of Spaghettios...sit-ups & crunches require no equipment and help to strenghthen your core...BUT, you have to make sure that you do them correctly in order to avoid injuring your back or straining your neck...when doing crunches make sure that the small of your back stays firmly on the floor and cradle your head at the crown with your fingertips, pull your belly button towards the small of your back (suck it in) and do the work with your tummy muscles..
    5. Moms...play with your kids!!!!! dance, run, hide & seek....it's good for everybody

I could go on and on, but I think you should get the idea...once your body gets used to your exercise routine, it will crave it as much as it craves that donut, cookie, ice cream etc...rheston said it best on a previous post...the chemicals released in your brain when you exercise are addictive...Believe it!!!!! :flowerforyou: -vee

A couple of other things...you must stay hydrated...drink your water and STRETCH before and after you exercise...now I'm done (for now):noway: