Fat America

Is anyone else on this sight amazed that so many people in our country remain fat. Yes FAT. Not overweight, not underlean, not gravitationally challanged, not thyroid disabled...fat. If you weigh 250 pounds, you can eat over 2000 calories a day and still lose weight. That's a 400 calorie beakfast, a 500 calorie lunch, a 700 calorie dinner, 3 light beers, and a couple light snacks. Who the hell can't pull that off? And that's with no exercise and a lightly active lifestyle. I have a hard time not getting frustrated when I'm out in public surrounded by huge people. I drive by McDonalds at dinner time and see a line of cars at the drive-thru (who eats McDonalds for dinner?!), I see lines around the corner at Cinnebon at the mall, Entemann's and Hostess are gigantic thriving companies, and restaurants like Friday's and Cheescake Factory are constantly packed with people stuffing their faces with meals that must average 1500 calories apiece. It may sound like I'm on a high horse, but the sooner people refuse to accept this disgusting display of lack of discipline, the sooner it will change. Being fat is the the last addiction and form of self-abuse that is still somehow accepted in our culture. It doesn't have to be and for those of you who are gearing up to craft a angry response as one who is sensitive to the plight of the underlean, you are part of the problem.

Replies

• I read the other day that the average American eats upwards of 2,700 calories daily. That's so unfathomable to me, but I guess when you're eating processed garbage that doesn't fill you up it's a lot easier to consume that many calories than it would be to eat 2,700 calories of whole foods? It's still disturbing, anyway.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Eating healthy makes you realize the poor quality of food most Americans consume. It's really quite sad that people would choose quick and easy over healthy. When they have heart disease and diabetes at 50, they don't understand how it happened. I find it funny that many people who eat a diet full of fast food and boxed processed food thinks it's expensive to eat healthy. I spend <$10/day on food ....that's two trips to McDonald's for most. It's completely possible to eat healthy food on a tight budget, but most people don't want to invest the time to plan and cook meals. I want quality of life...I don't mind investing a little time.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Which meal do you think McDonald's exists for? That's honestly the point I am most stuck on.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Is anyone else on this sight amazed that so many people in our country remain fat. Yes FAT. Not overweight, not underlean, not gravitationally challanged, not thyroid disabled...fat. If you weigh 250 pounds, you can eat over 2000 calories a day and still lose weight. That's a 400 calorie beakfast, a 500 calorie lunch, a 700 calorie dinner, 3 light beers, and a couple light snacks. Who the hell can't pull that off? And that's with no exercise and a lightly active lifestyle. I have a hard time not getting frustrated when I'm out in public surrounded by huge people. I drive by McDonalds at dinner time and see a line of cars at the drive-thru (who eats McDonalds for dinner?!), I see lines around the corner at Cinnebon at the mall, Entemann's and Hostess are gigantic thriving companies, and restaurants like Friday's and Cheescake Factory are constantly packed with people stuffing their faces with meals that must average 1500 calories apiece. It may sound like I'm on a high horse, but the sooner people refuse to accept this disgusting display of lack of discipline, the sooner it will change. Being fat is the the last addiction and form of self-abuse that is still somehow accepted in our culture. It doesn't have to be and for those of you who are gearing up to craft a angry response as one who is sensitive to the plight of the underlean, you are part of the problem.

Some people are ignorant of how to treat their bodies, and some people simply don't care. Either way, obesity is a multi-faceted issue, not something quite as simple as "lack of discipline." I believe from a cultural standpoint, it's far more complicated than that, and it's based on various cultural, socio-economic issues.

I don't believe i'm part of the problem for just stating the obvious.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    I totally agree! Since I have started eatin clean and healthy I depise going out to eat- you cant get anything truly good out, they feel the need to put liquid margarine, fat and grease in everything! Even the salads, I had one from Zaxbys with no dressing it was freaking 600 calories, I almost had a stroke. I cook all my own food and snacks etc. Sometimes if I go to Mcdonalds to get a large water! I start looking at all the people in line and judging them, thinking my god- It seem bad and probably is... but I would LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it if you could go out and get a HEALTHY clean meal and that be the norm, and the fat meal be frowned upon. And the fat meal EXPENSIVE! You can see I feel strong about this.

Not offending anyone, but stated so true below-

"Eating healthy makes you realize the poor quality of food most Americans consume"
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    It is very sad. When I was obese, I didn't really notice how fat so many Americans are. After dropping a lot of my excess weight, I notice it a lot more.

The saddest thing I see, however, are obese children. These poor kids are going to subjected to a lifetime of health issues, will never be able to be as active as they should be, and will have to deal with ridicule from their peers for most of their lives. It's heartbreaking.

We have a very serious epidemic in this country, and unless the government steps in with smarter regulatory policies, better access to nutrition and fitness education programs, and a complete overhaul of how we handle our agriculture subsidies, I fear it just won't change but continue to worsen.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member

So what are you suggesting here? That we go out and shame people who are fat? Or is this a pointless rant?

When has shaming ever worked to compel people to eat right? For a lot of people (me included,) criticism and ridicule are like a big flashing red arrow to bad food. It makes us eat more because we give up.

I agree that a lot of morbidly obese people are simply irresponsible about their eating. But shaming them about McDonald's isn't going to fix anything. And your whole post sounds borderline psychotic. If it's not killing *you* then butt out. Whether people want to kill themselves slowly with food or quickly with meth, it simply is not your business. And they have to want to change before all else.
  • likearadiowave

So what are you suggesting here? That we go out and shame people who are fat? Or is this a pointless rant?

When has shaming ever worked to compel people to eat right? For a lot of people (me included,) criticism and ridicule are like a big flashing red arrow to bad food. It makes us eat more because we give up.

I agree that a lot of morbidly obese people are simply irresponsible about their eating. But shaming them about McDonald's isn't going to fix anything. And your whole post sounds borderline psychotic. If it's not killing *you* then butt out. Whether people want to kill themselves slowly with food or quickly with meth, it simply is not your business. And they have to want to change before all else.

OP is fat-phobic and is simply venting. Which is fine, but you know. Not any less annoying.

I guess it's easy to go out and look down on people who eat at cheap fast food places, but then I would also suppose that if you do that, you have to feel superior to those people who can only afford fast food because they are poor or just too tired to cook, or just because they enjoy eating it.

Either way, modern society has changed things so that instant gratification is always possible. Is it healthy? no, but then again, neither are the "stop being fat fatty" attitudes. People today do less to get more, and so one outcome (among others) of this is obesity.
    Is anyone else on this sight amazed that so many people in our country remain fat.

No, because that's a product of the above. And also, "Site."
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I am not 250, but close. I have GAINED weight eating well under 2000 calories a day (what MFP told me to eat, before my doctor changed that) and am maintaining eating around 1700. Quite frankly, I am tired of people who think all I do is eat fast food and Doritos all day. (Today is probably one of my worse days because I had no access to MFP and had to eat out all day). There are people with legitimate health issues that make it almost impossible to lose weight. And it just makes it harder when I constantly have to deal with people like you. I'm probably one of those who will have diabetes before I'm 50... everyone else in my family does. I'm hoping the fact that I eat better than most of them is in my favor... but so far they are the ones who drop the Cokes and crappy food and lose weight while I'm maintaining and gaining on a healthier diet. (Also, being fat is by no means "accepted'" by society... if you were very overweight and had to deal with the attitude and comments I hear or overhear or get thrown at me by the media every day, you would understand that.)
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    I ate mozzarella sticks and jalapeno poppers last night. Dipped in ranch dressing. They were AMAZING. Nothin' wrong with a few unhealthy noms.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    I don't really care what other people eat.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    I would rather they be fat than an *kitten*****, because fat you can fix....
  • likearadiowave
    I ate mozzarella sticks and jalapeno poppers last night. Dipped in ranch dressing. They were AMAZING. Nothin' wrong with a few unhealthy noms.

I look down at your lack of self-control!

Sarcasm. But seriously, those sound delicious ... :)
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    i like fat people waaay more than i like self righteous a**holes.... just saying.
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Is anyone else on this sight amazed that so many people in our country remain fat.

No, because that's a product of the above. And also, "Site."
    [/quote]
    i love you for your correct spelling! :)@like....
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I am almost 250, and although I have weight to lose, I am not as you describe, and quite frankly, I am offended by your post. I eat fast food once a month at best, and I compensate with exercise. I may have a fat @ss, but this fat @ss can hike 7-8 miles with no problem, hit softballs at the batting cages for days, and kick the @ss of most everyone I know (including the guys). I am not stupid enough to think that fast and fried foods are healthy in any way, shape, or form, but occassionally I treat myself. I am by no stretch of the imagination lazy or dumb, as I have more energy, am more active, and get more accomplished in any given day than most people I know. You have no idea about people and would do well to keep your judgement to yourself. Some people have disabilities or diagnoses that affects their ability to maintain a healthy weight, such as thyroid, PCOS, back injuries, recent surgery...I could go on for days here. Might I suggest getting off your high horse, your majesty, before someone kicks it out from under you.
  • It's a vicious cycle, not a whole lot different than smoking, alcoholism or drugs. We see success stories daily on MFP of people who found the strength to change their habits (bad or otherwise) and those stories give hope to others who want to change.

I must say that the sight of so many obese children does bother me. I work in the school system and see what some parents are sending their kids for lunch (snackables? lunchables? really? every day?) or bringing them 3 or 4 days a week (Arby's, McDonalds, DQ...really?). There are kids who don't stand a chance because of the choices of their parents. That's sad.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member

I look down at your lack of self-control!

Sarcasm. But seriously, those sound delicious ... :)

Indeed. I am a horrible, terrible fatty McFatterson. ;)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I don't agree that obesity is the last accepted form of self abuse in our culture. I think the opposite, it is highly unaccepted and many obese individuals encounter problems daily with their weight not being accepted.
This discussion has been closed.