sugar free breakfast cookie

Options
kermiehiho
kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
My family was going to sleep over at a hotel out of convenience for my sister's wedding the next day, so I made these as a healthy, portable breakfast. I would definitely make them again.

Ingredients:
3 mashed bananas
1/3 cup apple sauce (I just blended up 1/4 of a really big apple)
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit you want to add)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp Splenda , sugar or other sweetener (I used honey)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl really well. Let this mixture stand for at least 5 minutes to let the oats become good and hydrated. Heap the dough by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet (I just plopped them on parchment paper and they were fine). Bake for 15-20 minutes and let cool.

Variations: If you add some chopped nuts, you have a grab and go breakfast that includes protein as well as fruits and grains. Dried cranberries are also a great addition if you don't care for raisins, which some people don't. Cardamom fans may want to substitute that spice for the cinnamon.

It's important to note that this is not a dessert type of cookie, so it will not be what you are used to eating when you think cookie. These are also very moist, due to both mashed bananas and apple sauce being included. It's basically oatmeal with add-ins for breakfast that you can eat from your hand.

My comments: I added chopped almonds. My mom found it a little bland, but the beauty of this recipe is that there are no eggs, so you can actually *safely* taste the batter as you go along.

Replies

• Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This sounds great. I will have to try them for my 4yo son as well. I'm always on a quest for a better breakfast for him too. Maybe the "cookie" name will help *lol* Thanks for sharing.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good, I will have to try it!
  • jmturpin
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.
    I have been experimenting
    with my old recipes to make them healthy
    and subtituing honey or maple syrup
    in place of sugar. and using other types of flour
    instead of white or whole wheat.
    I love baking but limited as to what I can eat.
    Thanks again. JMT
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    do you have any nutrition information on these?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    do you have any nutrition information on these?
    It's going to vary depending on how many cookies you get out of the recipe since "heaping teaspoonful" is a pretty vague description of cookie size. If I make the cookies before you do I'll plug the recipe info into Spark's recipe calculator whenever I know the # of cookies my batch makes and I'll post it here.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I thought this was going to be fake sugar convenience food, but it actually looks really healthy! I'll use stevia and give these a try! Thanks for posting!
  • passionhi
    Options
    bump
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Ps. Just checked a recipe calculator and if it made 16, they'd be 80 calories a piece.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    thanks Pure and healthy :)
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    tagging for later

Thanks!!!!!!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    bump...going back to school, need something like this to keep in my bag for quick meals.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I just made these. Wow they were tasty! I put them in the database under Homemade fruity breakfast cookies.

I used applesauce and raisins and sugar, then promptly ate three while they were still warm. At 58 cals a piece I think I could afford it. :bigsmile: It made 22 with my small cookie scoop.
  • bethie0828
    bethie0828 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

A free site my friend just found. You can add the ingredients and it figures out the nutritional values for you.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump.......these sound great! thanks!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    bump
    Sounds like a great 'running late for school' breakfast. =)

Do they keep well?
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
    Sounds like a great 'running late for school' breakfast. =)

Do they keep well?

Well, they kept in a plastic ziploc bag over a period of two days, but the website I got the recipe from said he keeps them in the freezer.
  • Marcy79
    Marcy79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    YUM! Can't wait to give 'em a try :love:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    bumping. I have a kid who hates breakfast, so these might pass muster.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    this looks great! thanks for posting!!