Anyone ever get their resting metobolic rate tested?

Options
I'm wanting to do this...I wondered how off it was from standards that you plug in online..cost about 50 for me to run the test..

Replies

• Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I would LOVE to have this done! I have PCOS and the studies I have read speak to the idea that people with this have a markedly lower BMR than typical people with the same stats. Anywhere up to 600cals below what calculators tell you. I am actually afraid of maintenance and the "guessing" at where my BMR might stand. I am hoping to chat with my endocrinologist to see about testing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How DO you get this tested anyway? I'd be curious myself...
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    They offer it every now and then at my gym. I have always been curious but have never found the time. You are not supposed to do it right after a workout and that is when I have time. It is about $50. If the scheduling ever works out I will try it.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it yourself, but you'd need a good heart rate monitor which would probably run you 50 bucks anyway...
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Hydrostatic water tank test. The resulting numbers were pretty much right inline with what I had calculated with online calculators. But it's nice to get the empirical testing done once in a while. Depending on the type of test, they will likely measure your BF% as well.

ETA: Hmm, now that I think of it, I'm not sure if the hydrostatic test is really measuring the RMR empircally, or whether it's just calculated. Probably the latter come to think of it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    $50 for something that changes as you gain/lose weight and build muscle... I highly doubt the results would be much different from the calculators/what you could get from a body composition monitor you could buy for $60.

Not worth it.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I had it done at a local rehab hospital. At that time I was 147 lbs (5' 4") and it was calculated at 1710, Online calculators put my BMR around 1230.

Edited to add: talk to your doctor, they can find a place locally that does the test
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There is a traveling trailer full of equip ..they stop at different gyms. Here it is called Fitnesswave. WORTH IT !! :indifferent:
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    morebeans shared a great idea for calculating your daily energy expenditure yourself -
    add up the last 30 days' of NET calories from your diary
    subtract 3500 for each pound lost in those 30 days (or add if gained)
    divide by 30
    = your actual daily energy expenditure (not including exercise)

this is higher than your resting metabolic rate, but in a way more useful, as it takes into account your actual activity level.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it yourself, but you'd need a good heart rate monitor which would probably run you 50 bucks anyway...

HRM cannot do metabolic testing of any kind. Unless you happen to have a metabolic cart in your basement (my ultimate Xmas gift!), you cannot do this type of testing yourself either.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to do this...I wondered how off it was from standards that you plug in online..cost about 50 for me to run the test..

My experience is that using an accepted prediction formula (e.g. Harris-Benedict or the like) is pretty accurate for most people. The fact is that there is not that much variation in BMR in the normal population.

That being said, it doesn't mean everyone matches up, so the test is not a waste of time IMO. The only question is: what method are they using? If it is a New Leaf system, I would say go for it because that's pretty accurate. If the method does not analyze EXPIRED air as well as inspired air, it may not be as accurate.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I'm an idiot today. I was thinking of RHR. DUH. Ok, stepping away from the screen... :)
  • al142005
    al142005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did the RMR test for free through a university and compared it to 5 different equations that can be found online. My results? Within 100 calories. If you really want to get tested I would look into nearby colleges, usually there are senior projects going on and they need volunteers. Your RMR only gives you your calories burned per day of complete best rest with no food for at least 8 hrs. The major thing that will affect your total calories burned per day is your activity level, so be sure to take that into account if you're trying to figure out how much you burn.