Fitbit vs BodyMedia, etc.

Options
Hello c:

Lately I've been using the RunKeeper app on my phone to keep track of my daily calorie burn, but it's really wearing out my battery. I would like to purchase a small device that I can wear continuously for this purpose. The FitBit Ultra looks great, and it claims to even know when you're walking up and down stairs (which I do a lot of). But is it worth 100$ ? The other thing is, I'm looking at other devices, such as the BodyMedia FIT Armband (mainly because it's on sale right now and seems to do basically the same thing as the FitBit xD), and a few pedometer/calorie trackers on Amazon.com (such as the Ozeri digital pedometer and the Omron pocket pedometer). I do work out a few times a week but I don't keep my phone in my pocket for that, just log the time into MFP. I walk a lot but don't run or do anything really intense.

Does anyone have any experience/advice with these products (or similar ones)? I'm new to all of this and don't want to waste my money, as I'm a poor student :P

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I originally thought it didn't bead a Firbit and bought a Tanita pedometer which was an accelerometer. Although it motivated me, the problem was I couldn't wear it to work as it was so big that everyone would see it. The fitbit fits in the centre of my beta and goes unnoticed.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree. I use it inside of my bra (with a hair squeaky band - cotton) to absorb sweat so it's not noticeable. The nice part is you'll always know how much you walked and whether you were too lazy for the day. It's motivated me to go out on walks when I've seen I'm doing hardly any exercise. I'm thinking it's the fact that you can pull it out and go "I've only done 3000 steps?" which sorta triggers that "I must get my butt moving!" thought process. :laugh:
  • drinkmoreh2o
    Options
    Thanks for the replies c: I wonder if anyone has tried both FitBit and BodyMedia? I'm not sure which is better! :o
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Do a search. There are posts on this. BFM is VERY obvious to everyone.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia, just got it & I really love it.
    The bodymedia measures thru motion; with the Galvanic Skin Response (this has to do with sweat or soemthing; skin temperature and the rate at which ur heat is being dissipated thru ur body known as the heat flux.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    See my post- 'read this before buying fitbit'
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just ordered my FITBIT....sigh...backordered....hopefully worth the wait.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Take a look at the new one online. You could always cancel order/send it back
  • lihuejan
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra...so far i like it but dont have anything to compare it to. Its small and and easy to use,I like the website also. Just wish it was waterproof as most of my workouts are in the ocean :smile:
  • drinkmoreh2o
    Options

I'm actually brand new here, and just saw the search option after posting! Not sure what you mean by "BFM is VERY obvious to everyone"? :/
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

I'm actually brand new here, and just saw the search option after posting! Not sure what you mean by "BFM is VERY obvious to everyone"? :/

Well, it's an armband. Anyone can see it.

That said, I have a Bodybugg, and I take it out of the armband and tuck it into the band of my bra. Much less visible, still very comparable calorie burn numbers.

Btw, bodybuggs are also on sale for $99, but I got mine for $79 using a link:

http://bodybugg.extole.com/a/clk/4l6MGq

You get a code from that link that you use as a coupon code on the site and it takes $20 off.
  • drinkmoreh2o
    Options
    Ah, I understand. Thank you c:
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia FIT and it isn't as noticable as you would think under my sleeves but I do wear loose shirts. In any case I don't care if people DO see it. I am not ashamed to be tracking calories.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've had a BodyMedia Fit for about 7 months now. I love it! In the beginning, I wore it on the armband like the directions said. Eventually, I did some testing and found it worked just about the same tucked into the side band of my bra (where no one notices it!).

I compared readings using the same workouts, same distances, same daily activities, etc and I really found no difference in the readings between wearing on the arm-band and tucked into my bra. So, don't let the obviousness of the arm band be a deciding factor.

I chose the BodyMedia over the FitBit because it takes more readings off the body than the FitBit. I've found the BodyMedia to be very accurate. I've been able to easily maintain my weight using readings from the BodyMedia. :-)
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would say the main factor I would use to make this decision would be how you exercise. I use the BodyMedia FIT Link, but I know a fair bit about the Fitbit from a friend who uses it. That friend wishes she chose BodyMedia, but that's partly because the Fitbit doesn't register a lot of her exercise. It definitely notices stairs, but it doesn't notice using a stair stepper, elliptical, weight lifting, burpees, etc. She also had them break for no apparent reason twice, but the company was very good about replacing them.

If the only exercise you'll be doing is walking, the Fitbit would probably suit your needs. I hope this helps. :smile:

Edited to add: The armband doesn't bother me a bit, either. After a day or two I didn't even notice it anymore, and it isn't obvious unless I go sleeveless. I've been wearing it for 2.5 months, and only 2 people have asked about it, and they both thought it was a pretty cool tool.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've had a BodyMedia Fit for about 7 months now. I love it! In the beginning, I wore it on the armband like the directions said. Eventually, I did some testing and found it worked just about the same tucked into the side band of my bra (where no one notices it!).

I compared readings using the same workouts, same distances, same daily activities, etc and I really found no difference in the readings between wearing on the arm-band and tucked into my bra. So, don't let the obviousness of the arm band be a deciding factor.

I think you're the one I learned this trick from :) I have a bodybugg but same thing - the bra trick works!
  • sperko11
    Options
    Hey all -
    I just joined MyFitnessPal, but I also work for BodyMedia ;) I've learned so much from reading feedback and seeing all your thoughts! I love exercise and have been a fitness enthusiast for a looong time.

I wanted to let you know that the technology is the best out there for an affordable price - less than that smartphone that you can pair it with! But in regards to the lifting, burpees, yoga, etc: we're working on an innovation to the product and when it's ready, when you plug your BodyMedia FIT into your computer, it will prompt an update and then you're good to go! No new device to buy, no hardware to replace. I can't wait for when I get more accurate info on my Crossfit workouts. But on my running and walking, and just regular activity throughout the day, this is very accurate!

For all you MFP users: how could we, at BodyMedia make your experience better (BodyMedia FIT alone, or in conjunction with MFP)?

Thanks!!
  • Macyboston
    Macyboston Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my BodyMedia device. I have worn it on my arm. Occasionally on my calf if I'm going sleeveless. Even when people see it and ask about it, they think it's a fabulous device. I'll have to try the bra trick though.

I really like how it pushes me throughout the day to tell me how I will exceed or fall short of my target calorie burn. I still track food on MFP, but then just add them into the Daily Estimate for the day on Bodymedia to determine my deficit.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hey all -
    I just joined MyFitnessPal, but I also work for BodyMedia ;) I've learned so much from reading feedback and seeing all your thoughts! I love exercise and have been a fitness enthusiast for a looong time.

I wanted to let you know that the technology is the best out there for an affordable price - less than that smartphone that you can pair it with! But in regards to the lifting, burpees, yoga, etc: we're working on an innovation to the product and when it's ready, when you plug your BodyMedia FIT into your computer, it will prompt an update and then you're good to go! No new device to buy, no hardware to replace. I can't wait for when I get more accurate info on my Crossfit workouts. But on my running and walking, and just regular activity throughout the day, this is very accurate!

For all you MFP users: how could we, at BodyMedia make your experience better (BodyMedia FIT alone, or in conjunction with MFP)?

Thanks!!

The main thing I can think of is being able to import our food diary from MFP. Logging food on both sites isn't practical, and MFP's database and entry system are far superior.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tonight. I have been debating this for a while.