Muscle weight (how long?)

Options
Can anyone tell me how long it takes (days, weeks, months) to gain muscle weight? Usually when I start working out (again!), I don't see any weight loss, so I'm thinking maybe it's because I've gained muscle weight. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Weeks, months. It depends on your gender and how much EXTRA you're eating.
    If you're in a caloric deficit...it's not going to happen.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief it is possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Average muscle gain for a woman is about 2 lbs/month if you are consuming atleast 1 gram of protein/lb of body weight. Hope this helps!:happy:
  • farmboy104
    Options
    Hi
    I have found that in the past it varies depending on the person. I have at times not lost weight but actually put some on when I have worked out while trying to get back in shape. Each person is different ( it could be weeks or a month until you notice the difference ). For me know if I want to take weight off I have to do cardio with the weights ( ideally do the weight three times a week or whatever you have time for and try to do cardio atleast twice a week ). Try to find exercises/ sports that you enjoy doing. If you hate the exercise/sport you are doing then it will be harder to keep it up.
    What they used to tell me at the gym quite often is if you are doing weights ( lighter weights and more reps will gibve you leaner muscle and fewer reps and more weight will build bulk ( size ). Every so often you also have to switch the exercises that you do or you will hit a plateau and not see any changes.
    The other key factor is that you still have to watch what you eat and drink plenty of water.
    Hope that this will be of some use.
    :-)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief it is possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Average muscle gain for a woman is about 2 lbs/month if you are consuming atleast 1 gram of protein/lb of body weight. Hope this helps!:happy:

It's not a popular belief...it's physiology. The body requires an *excess* of protein to increase the size of the contractile elements of muscle. If you're in a caloric deficit, even eating 1g/lb of bodyweight of protein, you aren't taking in enough total energy. The protein will be converted to glucose or ketones depending on the amino acid and the prominent energy system in use at the time.
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    When I started weight training for the first time EVER in July, it took about 6 weeks for me to start losing weight. I also started eating "clean" in August, counting calories, and eventually worked up to drinking a gallon of water a day. I am actively trying to GAIN muscle because that IS your metabolism. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose the weight at first. It takes time to build muscle, just as it does to lose fat, but you are going about it the right way if you are weight training! In the last 5 months I have completely transformed my body, even though the scale says I've only lost 18 lbs., I've also gained several in muscle and my clothes fit better than they did before I gained the weight. Muscle is heavier and denser, so it takes up less space. It is also constantly burning calories, while fat just sits there. Be sure to get your body fat% tested, since the scale doesn't tell you the whole story--whether your body consists of muscle or fat--and let that and how your clothes fit be your guide.

For inspiration try going to bodybuilding.com and look at the "transformations" section--you will be amazed!.....and, they tell you what diet, supplements, and workout plans they used as well! It keeps me going when I feel discouraged or feel like the weight (fat) isn't coming off as fast as I'd like. I only had 30 lbs. to lose in the first place, thanks to an awful prescription medication that put it on me in 2 months, but since cardio alone didn't take it off I turned to weight training, and I am forever hooked! I hope this helps to answer your question (and probably then some) :happy: ....
  • ryanchemist
    Options
    Make sure to do some intense weight movment. ... and then no cardio on that day. For example, Carry your kids 100 yards. Set them down. Rest. Then do it again. Make sure to use your arms, legs, back, stomach ... as many muscles as possible. My kids are 12, 10 and 8. If yours are over 100 lbs you can shorten the walk.

Short heavy all muscle movement two or three reps of 30 second duration ... two times a week on off days. You will see the muscle.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a lot more to fat free mass than muscle. Most people will see little or no "muscle" gain in the first few weeks of a program. Any "gain" in fat free mass is due to increases in plasma volume, stored glycogen, water storage, and other elements needed to maintain an exercise program. These start to occur almost immediately.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

That article assumes that a) there is no margin of error for any given body composition test and b) the 4.5 lbs of weight gained were in the form of muscle.

As someone in the field, I know you are aware of the large margin of error of most body comp tests. Even a DEXA scan has a 1-3% margin of error dependent upon the skill of the testing professional.
    You would also be aware of the fact that IMTG's and glycogen both increase in response to training, and each gram of glycogen binds about 3 grams of water. You also have to account for water/food/waste weight fluctuations due to female hormones.

This article is devoid of any information or support based on physiology. Hm.

P.S. -Azdak, ya beat me to it! Hehe :wink: