Would you go to a fitness class all alone?

Options

Replies

• christine_lisel
    Options
    I would go, you'll make new friends there:)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Go with a friend, then once you feel comfortable you will feel confident in doing it alone. It's just your shyness that's getting in the way. I sometimes feel this way but you shouldn't sacrifice exercise because of insecurities :frown:
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I always go by myself, that way I can make new friends.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    No, I would want a fitness instructor.
  • Sanduh36
    Sanduh36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise by myself... I felt kinda bad about it, but now that I see some others do the same thing, I don't! LOL... give it a shot! You may surprise yourself.
    :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    go alone. i dont get the need to socialize when you're working out :laugh: i can socialize before and after but during i like staying focused on working out
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    used to go all the time alone and mess the steps up and feel silly. first person to ever talk to me started by que-ing me with her hands to steps in a way to help. she must have taken pity on me. never got real chummy with anyone in class - but we are in it together - thats the vibe in the room. I bet if you just gave it a shot- youd see its not too bad. I now like the front of the room and try to smile and new ppl so they feel welcome.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I need too! I do have fears about that when really it's so silly!!
    I wish to go it alone because I feel it will make me stronger in regards to increasing my independance and not letting my shy side win!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I almost always go alone. I have found that when I try to make workout dates with my friends, one of us usually ends up bailing at the last minute so neither of us go. It's always kind of intimidating to try a new class and feel like I don't know what I'm doing when everyone around me does, but I just laugh at myself until I catch on.
  • kellyo15
    Options
    Definitely go! When I did workout classes I started going with my mom and a few friends but eventually I started going on my own and it's fine! I personally am so focused on my own workout I am never paying attention to anyone else in there so just remind yourself that most of the people in there are doing the same and won't even notice you! If you're shy about the class then you can hide in the back corner but definitely go. The more you go at it alone the more comfortable you'll get. You can do this!! :)
  • smp4463
    smp4463 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always go alone,,and prefer it because I seem to gab & not focus when I am with someone. Being alone I most definately have a better workout
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use to not want to go alone, then I figured out that I was never getting there waiting for someone to go with me. I do have a friend that goes to Zumba with me but if she can't I will go alone. I also go to a Women&Weights class and yoga alone.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling all too well. I don't do classes but was mortified to go to the gym alone. It took me 3 weeks before I could find someone to go with me. And after they did...I realized I liked it better ALONE! It is MY time to do something for me and I see the same people because I go at the same time, haven't made any new friends yet, but some new acquaintances definitely!
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I prefer going alone. Going with someone is too much of a distraction for me. I want to be able to focus and I find it hard to do if I am with someone. This reminds me of the time I took a water aerobics class, there were 2 ladies who were in the pool the entire time holding a conversation as if they were sitting in Starbuck's. I wondered why they even bothered coming to the class since they barely worked out during the entire class.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I always go alone. First I don't like having to wait for someone else to get their act together and finally decided that they'll go. My friends are the biggest procrastinators ever. I have kids, classes, husband, a house and loads of responsibilities so I go when I can and just go by myself. Believe me no one is watching you or saying wow she's alone lets make it tougher on her. Just do it is all I can tell you.
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same way - but once you go, it becomes YOUR class and it's not at all scary anymore. Plus doing something that make you uncomfortable will only make you stronger. Go for it!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    you should not feel bador shy about your class it is normal and when you are in the group you will lose your shyness and feel at home so do go and have fun trust me you can do it
  • S8turnip
    S8turnip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love going to a class alone, because you're on your time. You shouldnt' concern yourself what others think. Just think of how you will get the best out of a workout!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Most people at my gym go on their own. I can only think of one pair of friends in my step and LBT classes. Its better going on your own, no one to see you make mistakes and tell everyone you know :bigsmile:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I prefer going alone. Going with someone is too much of a distraction for me. I want to be able to focus and I find it hard to do if I am with someone. This reminds me of the time I took a water aerobics class, there were 2 ladies who were in the pool the entire time holding a conversation as if they were sitting in Starbuck's. I wondered why they even bothered coming to the class since they barely worked out during the entire class.
    Yup this is another reason I prefer to go alone. Don't get much done if I go with a friend. Then my friends always want to stop mid way through class and walk out. Drives me nuts! Of course they would wave for me to leave with them. That was the last time I went with my GF's. Don't go with my adult son either for that reason. Can't get 5 minutes into a work out without being bugged for something or nagged to leave. Have to constantly hear "Mom I'm bored. When can we go home?" ugh!!