Pescetarian Friendly Recipes?

Options
EmCeeKayla
EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
I'm going pescetarian as a transition from eating meat and stuff to going vegetarian, but I'm kinda at a loss at how to season/cook certain fish.

I know how to cook shrimp and how to sear tuna perfectly.

But when it comes to fish like grouper, salmon, perch, and all of those other fish, I have no clue what I'm doing.

If ANYONE could help, that'd be amazing. (preferably nothing with tomatoes or large amounts of onion because I don't really like either. Tomato SAUCE is fine.)

Replies

• JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I made mahi mahi the other day that came out great! I made a dry rub consisting of garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano,cumin, salt and pepper. I cooked on a griddle pan with non stick spray for about 10 min. per side (it was a big piece). A frying pan would work great too. You could use this rub on all types of white fish. This fish could top salads or brown rice burrito bowls.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    My favourite way to cook salmon was the way we'd do it in most restaurants I worked in.

Take a salmon fillet, salt it, a tiny bit of oil, just to coat, dill, black pepper and a squeeze of lemon.

Skin side down in a 400 F oven, bake for 15 minutes.

When it comes out, another squeeze of lemon and some chopped parsley on top. The skin will most likely stick to the pan and you can just take the fish right off with a spatula.
  • carolbeaulieu22
    Options
    i have good luck with a toaster oven but a big oven is fine. Bake the fish until it will flake with a fork and it is done not much longer than 10 or 15 mins. As for seasoning be creative I use most anything pepper, garlic power, thyme, ginger onion powder. I like to try different spices. Start with the spices you like. Then mix and match. Hope I helped.. Enjoy! :smile:
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like my fish simple.

Salmon:

Oil a foil lined baking sheet and lay fish skin side down. Preheat oven to about 375-400. Sprinkle fish with a seasoning if you like (I really love Spike), some herbs d'province, or Italian herbs, a herb rub, or even lemon thyme/parsley/rosemary etc. Sprinkle with a dash of salt (if the seasoning was salt free) and a grind of pepper over each. Take a thin bit of butter or margarine etc and lay over fish...maybe 3 or 4 thin thin little slices. You can also add a slice of lemon over the top if you prefer, but I tend to not use it. Bake in oven for about 10 mins or till it flakes. Serve.

Thinner fish like sole/tilapia etc to pan fry:

I like panko crumbs. I put a little olive oil or coconut oil in a pan and heat it. Take fish and pat dry, then dip in egg, then seasoned panko. Pan fry them for about 2-3 mins per side, making sure they are not burned.

This is a great website if you are just starting out... http://www.cookingfishmonger.com/index.html

It's quite helpful and you can go on from there. I LOVE fish and will eat any fish, so I make sure I have several cookbooks on seafood prep and ideas. Amazon has a good selection if you are like me and need to hold the book in your hands while cooking!! :) This is a favorite of mine and I use it often... http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Without-Doubt-Essential-Companion/dp/B005Q5RG3I/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347734823&sr=1-6