What do you mean by Strength training

Options
I've been advised that I should do some strength training alongside doing cardio.

Does strength training mean plank, crunch, squats etc? Any other suggestions would be good.

Will be getting some weight soon but looking at doing something in the meantime.

Thanks

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    load bearing exercises yes. those you listed would count. see the following from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training

strength training can be done at home or in the gym. Consider the options:

Body weight. You can do many exercises with little or no equipment. Try push-ups, pull-ups, abdominal crunches and leg squats.
    Resistance tubing. Resistance tubing is inexpensive, lightweight tubing that provides resistance when stretched. You can choose from many types of resistance tubes in nearly any sporting goods store.
    Free weights. Barbells and dumbbells are classic strength training tools.
    Weight machines. Most fitness centers offer various resistance machines. You can also invest in weight machines for use at home.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Strength training is building your strength so no, I don't think crunches and planks count as strength training... you have to add resistance in order to get stronger. Commonly people do things like squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlift, etc.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I hope you will check out the group "Hooya, Give Me More". Until you get weights you could try what we are doing and that is using the exercises you mentioned. There is a program we can follow or just use any body-weight exercises you like. It is way fun and the results show so quickly. Nothing to buy etc. Some of us have the book but still, you can do this without anything but 20 minutes of your time 5 days a week.

I can't say enough, it's changed my life for the better only second to finding MFP in the first place;) denise
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Strength training is building your strength so no, I don't think crunches and planks count as strength training... you have to add resistance in order to get stronger. Commonly people do things like squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlift, etc.

Planks and crunches will help strengthen your core muscles when performed properly. Strong core muscles are vital to any type of exercise, especially squats & deadlifts since the muscles that support the spine (the core muscles) are loaded particularly heavily when performing them.

They count, bodyweight is resistance. It just depends on what type of exercise you want to do; bodyweight or freeweight.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I never realised that keeping fit was so complicated but I guess it's not once you find something that suits.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Planks and crunches will help strengthen your core muscles when performed properly. Strong core muscles are vital to any type of exercise, especially squats & deadlifts since the muscles that support the spine (the core muscles) are loaded particularly heavily when performing them.

They count, bodyweight is resistance. It just depends on what type of exercise you want to do; bodyweight or freeweight.
    They don't count. Strength training is anything that uses your bodies ATP-CP energy system to power type IIb muscles for maximal load movements. You're confusing strength training with getting stronger. 2 different things.
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy stuff. A lot.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Check out these programs - the are all good beginner programs

Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5

New Rules of Lifting for Women

There are groups here for the last two.