Trouble Spots

Options
So I have dropped 18lbs but my stomach and legs are still the same, which is why i can't get into a smaller size. Any suggestions on how to focus on these two areas? It spot training a myth? I'm getting really frustrated!

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction isn't possible, but if you keep on keeping on, eventually these areas will cease to be a problem.

What type of exercises are you doing to "fix" these "trouble spots"...?
  • jeneemaree
    Options
    Congrats on the 18lbs! That is awesome. Everyone has their trouble spots. There is a reason they say "abs are made in the kitchen", even a low calorie diet that is high in fat or sodium will make that belly fat hang on for dear life. I can't see your diary so you may be eating great already! I just know that is the best advice there is. I would also recommend cardio (an hour at least 4 times a week) and strength training as well as core conditioning. I have seen the best results with using all three (just cardio leaves me flabby, just strength doesn't melt the fat, etc). Good luck!
  • sheaz85
    sheaz85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of cardio. A friend of mine is a body builder and suggested walking on the highest incline on a treadmill for 45 minutes at a reasonable pace without holding on. I do this, yet still see minimal changes in my waist. I have decent calves but my thigs and stomach seem to be where all the weight stays. I was thinking maybe i should do more strength training?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth unfortunately. Body fat is a fickle thing and goes from where it wants to (genetics) so usually the place you want it off most is the last place to go. I think it was developed to drive us crazy. Anyway, you need to get your body fat down more (so keep up with the good work you are doing so far), plus I would really recommend strength training. It is not for fat loss per se but is excellent for body composition purposes (and has a bunch of other benefits)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I was thinking maybe i should do more strength training?

Great idea. Try working out with your bodybuilder friend a couple of times a week. 3 days maybe to start with, nothing too intense, but some lifting will help for when you get nearer to your goal; I have around 20lbs left to go and I still have my "trouble spots," too, you shouldn't be too worried at this point if you have 35lbs left to lose.

What the other poster said about diet is also relevant, but if you're losing weight at a decent pace, you should be eating well enough that eventually, as you near your goal, these problem areas will begin to get "better."
  • jeneemaree
    Options
    Strength training, in my humble opinion, is vital and will also increase metabolism and give you a lot of benefits. I'm sure your bodybuilder friend has great advice in regards to it. I like the Jillian MIchaels videos to start with weight training, because I wasn't sure where to begin. Also, Pilates a couple of times a week on a reformer (if that's possible) is a great way to add strength training for your whole body in addition to your cardio.