Hey Im new :) and just had a question..

Options
Hey Im trying to loose some weight, if it wasnt obvious of me being on here <_< But! I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on multivitamins, I have ishues with pills in genral, and i dont like taking them, But i jsut wanted to know if anyone thought that it was a must do kind of thing. Any opinions would be awesome thanks<3

Replies

• sapthat
    Options
    the fact that its hard to get all your micronutriants , while cutting back on other unwanted stuff ...id say yeah it deff helps
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    vitamins make me throw up.
    if i could take them, i would though!
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin B complex and Vitamin C... If it makes you feel llike throwing up... I used to throw up everything I took a multivitamin.. I started using the gummy ones and they work great..
  • erinjarrell2
    Options
    you should take a multivitamin when you are on a reduced calorie diet, I take the gummie vitamins and they go down just fine and are yummy - I like the viafusion ones b/c they aren't too sweet and don't have too many calories
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much fresh, healthy and nutrient rich food as I can but still take a multi daily just to supplement my diet to ensure my micronutrient needs are met.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    +1 for Vitafusion.
  • wealthygirl
    wealthygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thumbs up to gummie vitamins or flintstone chewables (my doctor suggested these when I was preggo and couldn't keep the pre-natal vitamin down).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to check your general health and then if you find out that you are deficient in something you can supplement it.
    Otherwise you are most likely (literally) flushing your money down the toilet.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, a D, a C, and two fish oil capsules once per day. I really don't notice unless I stop taking them for a few weeks. I believe in them.
  • CaitsACake
    CaitsACake Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well I just know that they make me feel kind of sick the first couple weeks, but after i get past that hump they make me feel better, but ive been off any multivitamins for... months. and now they just make me want to puke <_<
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Vitamins started making me nauseous also, so I started eating the gummy vitamins. Zero side effects for me.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I take a joint supplement because I have arthritis in my hips, and I recently found one I like that has multi-vitamin and is designed for athletes. I like it, its called Orange triad by controlled labs, I also take New Chapter Bone strength because of my aging issues but I found it helps prevent my muscle cramps from when I workout hard. I also take Emergen-C 0 calorie sports electrolytes. That all seems to cover it for me. My full story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I had to experiment around to find what worked for me for taking care of various issue (joints and muscle cramping) and these finally did the trick for me. Everyone is different and you will have to talk to your doctor (they don't have all the answers either), so I found what worked for me trial and error and ended up with that list and I'm motoring on pretty good for my age now.
  • asticoral
    Options
    You could get a product like Vega One that has added vitamins/minerals - its hard to JUST say yes though, cause if you are eating right you don't need them and can overload on some, which is not a good plan and as another poster mentioned, a waste of money.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I take adult chewables. (nature made or something... not Flintstones)
    pills makee me ll gaggy and sick to my stomach. I have found that swallowing 3-4 pills at a time is better. odd, I thought- and old man told me once, it's easier that wayy and it is.
    (and withh food/water)

not use iron fortified if you don' need the iron. it could add to stomach discomfort, I found
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I drink my vitamins in my energy drink by Advocare called Spark. I love the stuff and besides water, it is all that I drink. I have been using it for about 15 years.
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    They Have liquid ones you can take with water. But in my opinion you don't need them. But you should take them .
  • lbastion222
    Options
    Vitaines arent a necessity, you should get enough in the foods you eat, but we dont always eat the proper foods for that. That being said, you can use some vitamines if you like, but ask your doctor his or her opinion just to be sure. Linda222
  • gmsmagic1
    gmsmagic1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When dieting, it's especially important to make sure that you don't deprive your body of essential vitamins and nutrients or you could do more harm then good. Before starting any type of diet, it's always a good idea to get blood work done so that you can identify any deficiencies up front or at least establish a base line for improvement. This becomes very motivating when you get blood work done again later after losing weight. I would also highly recommend seeing a nutritionist or weight management doctor. They can give you guidance on the right diet based on your current health and long term goals.
  • clowdusc
    Options
    I take multivitamins to make sure that I'm getting the right nutrients, because I know that every day I don't get enough of the food groups.

If the vitamins are making you sick - switch brands. I would also suggest doing a bit of research, because ingesting too much of a specific vitamin/mineral, or ingesting on an empty stomach, might be making you sick also. I can't remember which ones do that, otherwise I'd just tell you lol But if it's just an empty stomach thing, try taking them at the end of the day. I usually take my vitamins at the end of the day as a habit anyway.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions :)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My doctor's opinion on vitamins is that unless you have a deficiency, they are a waste of money. If you strive to "eat a rainbow" of colorful foods, plus healthy whole grains, some dairy, and lean meats, you'll be fine. By "eat a rainbow" I mean to try to eat some of all the colors of veggies and fruits: purples, reds, blues, oranges, greens, yellows... berries, tomatoes, citrus, cruciferous vegetables, corn, bananas...you get the picture. :-)

Best of luck in your weight loss/becoming healthier journey!