Turkey Bacon

Options

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like turkey bacon way better than regular bacon - to me, it tastes better and it's way less greasy. I buy either Butterball or PC Blue Menu.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I prefer pork bacon, but I have some turkey bacon from Trader Joe's that isn't bad...if I cook it in coconut oil :laugh:
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love Lillydale's Daystarters Turkey Bacon Slices you can see pieces of meat in the slices. So this stuff hasn't been grounded into a paste and then extruded into bacon like slices. Hey at 25cal a piece you got to like it.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I did the turkey bacon for a while, couldnt find a brand that really made me happy although I like turkey sausage.

I then started buying the Kroger Private Selection Center Cut Bacon (25 calories per slice). It has a bit more fat than the turkey bacon but I am always under on my fats, so I can do 3 slices to make a great BLT sandwich with home-grown tomatoes, etc. It does cost more than the regular bacon with tons of fat, but worth it to me so I dont have to go back to the turkey stuff.

Also, I fix mine in the microwave in a bacon microwave pan that allows the bacon to cook and the fat to drip off into the pan.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My husband hates it.
    To me, it is ok, but reminds me of ham not bacon. It does not get crisp, at least it didn't the couple of times that I made it.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's not as good for you as you think.. But if you're going to have it, the key is to get it crispy.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I like butterball. but turkey bacon you really have to make crispy. otherwise i don't like it. for some reason, walgreens usually sells butterball turkey bacon cheapest
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I tried Butterball turkey bacon. It's not terrible and certainly not bacon. I'd prefer to eat the real stuff.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    IF you are able to eat pork, then I would never switch to turkey bacon. It's simply not worth it.
  • gatilbury
    gatilbury Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We like the HEB-brand Jalapeño bacon. Cook it on our Forman grill and all the fat runs off. YUMMY. Thumbs down for turkey bacon.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy turkey bacon and I have to agree that I find butterball's to be the best. I personally like it in things such as pasta and in calzones. Not a giant fan of it by itself since it doesn't get as greasy (my favorite part) but I don't think I'll go back to regular bacon if i ever have a choice between the two...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If I am doing bacon it is going to be the real thing.. 2 slices is only 70 calories so I just work it in.... Not a big fan of Turkey bacon.....
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    My husband hates it.
    To me, it is ok, but reminds me of ham not bacon. It does not get crisp, at least it didn't the couple of times that I made it.

try it in the broiler. I always put mine in there at the end of cooking. seems to help!!
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've tried several different brands of turkey bacon and even tried the Morning Star soy bacon...there is NOTHING like regular pork bacon, so I just don't even bother anymore. I do, however, eat turkey sausage.
  • Marlo2012
    Marlo2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We just had turkey bacon tonight.....the Butterball brand....I microwaved it and it came out crispy. We love it! :) It really is all about personal preference and we happen to prefer it...LOL :tongue:
  • vacamama
    vacamama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like canadian bacon a lot more, and for similar calories, it is well worth it!

But if I was to get turkey bacon it is the butterball one all the way (from costco)

I would just rather have real thick cut double smoked applewood bacon though, if I'm gonna have it :) (we have a place called red barn and they make their own...it's actually heaven.)

Hope that helps!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bacon is one of the things I could never sacrifice or exchange for something else like turkey bacon. I'll take it in small portions, just as long as I can have it at all.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Butterball cooked crisp is awesome. We no longer eat pork, so this satisfies our bacon needs.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    I actually dont recommend turkey bacon. Even though its suppose to be better than normal bacon, i heard that they add so much cr@p to make it taste like bacon, that it actually ends up being worse than actual bacon! Thats what i heard, anyways.
  • ivoryplume
    Options
    I don't have a problem with turkey bacon. I've had it before and enjoyed it just fine, but, typically, if I'm going to get bacon I go ahead and splurge on the real thing since I rarely eat more than one or two strips (and it's usually a little less processed and, in my opinion, tastier). :]