When will I see a difference?

Options
I have lost 13.6lbs in the last 3 weeks. I am very happy but when will I start to see a difference or others? I have 130 lbs to loose just is so discouraging when I look at the big picture.

Replies

• Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    have you taken before pictures and current pictures? I find I don't see a dif until I have the two pictures side by side, your body is slowly changing so you may not notice a dif right away, but pictures definitely help
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You'll probably notice it in your face first, be sure to take measurements regularly and pay attention to how your clothes are fitting. The scale definitely lies sometimes! That said, I don't really remember how long it took others to notice, this can be a little tricky b/c I think sometimes people are afraid to ask if you've lost weight just because what if they are mistaken and the person actually gained weight or something!? I found that once I was about halfway to my goal people constantly asked me if I had changed my hair. I would tell them that I had actually changed my face :)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. One day, all of a sudden, you'll notice that your pants are too loose and your shirts fit better. Next thing you know they'll be hanging on you and you'll need a new size. It took me about 30 lbs before I could really tell a difference, although people started telling me they liked my new haircut (not new) after about 15.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose 120 total. So far, I'm down 31 but I see absolutely no difference at all :(
  • tinamwaits
    Options
    I have noticed a difference in how my clothes fit after about 30 pounds... I still can't tell when I just look at myself naked lol... other people (except close friends and family) have not noticed yet (or at least have not said anything about it) and I have lost 39 so far.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It takes a while especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. Some ppl have not noticed yet. But i feel it and that's what matters. Be patient. :flowerforyou:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference in how my jeans fit after 10lbs. I didn't really see a difference overall in my apperance until about 25-30lbs.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old.

Seperating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

Ignore exercise calories because it's insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

If you are not doing a weight training routine you need to start one and do it the rest of your life to ward off osteoporosis.

More here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/californiagirl2012
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    just take one day at a time. you are doing great!
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    it's all about baby steps. Don't give up if you lose too fast it comes right back, take your time and believe in yourself
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You will be the last person to see the difference because you look at yourself in the mirror every single day. It happens so gradually I can guarantee you will not notice. I lost 100 lbs and didn't feel like I looked any different until I met up with a bunch of friends I hadn't seen for a year or two - they were shocked!

Go by other people's reactions and clothing sizes, and take progress pictures once every couple of months in the same outfit. There is a difference, but it's like watching a plant grow - it happens so slowly that you just don't notice.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My daughter lost over 100 pds and it was at least 40+ pounds before you could tell, then it was an amazing transformation! It took her 1 year to lose, now she looks awesome!

TIME TIME and more TIME, be patient.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Well said California Girl!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged...I have a hard time seeing changes too, because we look at ourselves every day! I take measurements and progress pics every 30 days...and it's only when I compare the pix on my puter that I see any changes..
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I started to notice at 15 but not many other people did, then nothing nothing nothing. This month I'm at 30lbs and EVERYONE is noticing.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    have you taken before pictures and current pictures? I find I don't see a dif until I have the two pictures side by side, your body is slowly changing so you may not notice a dif right away, but pictures definitely help

I agree.. I have lost 21 lbs so far (Still have about 38 more to go) and when I look at myself in the mirror, I still don't really see a difference.. but when I compare my before and during pictures, I can definitely tell I've lost weight! If it wasn't for the pictures I would've been discouraged and probably gave up awhile ago.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The most important change is the one in your attitude. With that change the rest will follow.
    So when will you see a difference: the answer is now because you have changed who you are and what you want.

Jas
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not everyone will notice the differences because they look in the mirror at themselves every day, and the changes are gradual.
    I would suggest what others have.... take maybe a front view and side view photo.... maybe once a week or once every two weeks... then after awhile you can start to line them up and see the changes happening that you don't notice.