Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Belly Fat

2»

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    you cant target belly fat with core/ab work outs. So you might as well do large compound lifts that help your entire body at once: squats, deadlifts, bench press and over head press. These work they are exercises as old as exercising it's self, I wouldn't torture myself with endless planks and crunches when I can get a much better work out for my core and the rest of my body from squats.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    The First question I would ask, is are you sure it is belly fat as opposed to loose skin? I only ask this because I did have a friend of mine that lost ALOT of weight in a pretty short period of time, but his belly was not toned (to the eye) because of the excess skin.

Other than that, I would say that if you are going to reduce your Cardio, definitly increase your Strength Training. Oh, and just a thought if you haven't already thought of it,...maybe change up what your exercises are. Instead of Sit ups and Planks, through in a couples days of high rep Crunches working the Obliques or some leg lifts with weights.
  • you cant target belly fat with core/ab work outs. So you might as well do large compound lifts that help your entire body at once: squats, deadlifts, bench press and over head press. These work they are exercises as old as exercising it's self, I wouldn't torture myself with endless planks and crunches when I can get a much better work out for my core and the rest of my body from squats.

I do all of those work outs! I'm starting to think it's what I'm eating from what I'm reading on here!
  • first, congrats on getting down there!!! thats great! Second, the belly is a cruel mistress(says the woman w/2 kids and several surgries'below'her belt) I have found even while just starting my journey, that yoga and zumba are really great all over strengtheners. start slow at beginer levels and build up. totaly worth it. I also am really into massage, as it will help your skin and you can use beificial oils(like almond) that will positively condition your skin.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    you cant target belly fat with core/ab work outs. So you might as well do large compound lifts that help your entire body at once: squats, deadlifts, bench press and over head press. These work they are exercises as old as exercising it's self, I wouldn't torture myself with endless planks and crunches when I can get a much better work out for my core and the rest of my body from squats.

I do all of those work outs! I'm starting to think it's what I'm eating from what I'm reading on here!
    Well then tighten up your diet.
  • first, congrats on getting down there!!! thats great! Second, the belly is a cruel mistress(says the woman w/2 kids and several surgries'below'her belt) I have found even while just starting my journey, that yoga and zumba are really great all over strengtheners. start slow at beginer levels and build up. totaly worth it. I also am really into massage, as it will help your skin and you can use beificial oils(like almond) that will positively condition your skin.
    Thanks! I have 2 kids too! I've never done yoga but I think I might give it a try because everyone I see that does yoga looks awesome!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    typically excess belly fat is from sugar from my research. i know when i cut out sugar i am not as bloated
  • typically excess belly fat is from sugar from my research. i know when i cut out sugar i am not as bloated

I think that's what I'm gonna have to do, but it's gonna be hard because sugar is my weakness! LOL!
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    What's the weight you've been lifting? I'm 5'5 too :) and i've been steadily increasing my weights. I've just started lifting 200lbs for deadlifts.

As for how much more you have to lose - its all relative. The more lean body mass you gain, the denser (and therefore heavier) you are, than someone else the same size with.

You're much better off going by your body fat % and taking measurements :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    How many calories are you eating? May be helpful if you open your diary.

And you are doing weights 5 days a week? I would cut that down to 3 days a week. You need to have rest days in between strength training for your muscle to recover. I would also cut down on cardio, especially on days that you are strength training. I personally prefer HIIT workout to get maximum burn for the time.
  • What's the weight you've been lifting? I'm 5'5 too :) and i've been steadily increasing my weights. I've just started lifting 200lbs for deadlifts.

As for how much more you have to lose - its all relative. The more lean body mass you gain, the denser (and therefore heavier) you are, than someone else the same size with.

You're much better off going by your body fat % and taking measurements :)

I don't lift that much yet! LOL! That's awesome!

I'm a pretty small person so I probably could lose just a few more pounds.

My body fat % is 19. I had it done at the gym.
  • How many calories are you eating? May be helpful if you open your diary.

And you are doing weights 5 days a week? I would cut that down to 3 days a week. You need to have rest days in between strength training for your muscle to recover. I would also cut down on cardio, especially on days that you are strength training. I personally prefer HIIT workout to get maximum burn for the time.

I probably eat around 1700 to maintain but I think I need to lose a few more lbs so will probably drop to 1400. :I just joined so haven't added to diary. Will start today:)

Yes, I do weights 5 days a week but not same muscles. What is HIIT workout?
  • Belly fat won't go away with exercise alone. Most of it's diet. Clean eating helps, too.

hmmm! That may be true in my case. What do you mean by clean eating? I eat fairly well but do have a little sugar everyday and I do drink alcohol a few times a week.

I just realized I may sound like a lush! LOL! When I say I drink a few times a week. I mean I might have 1 or may 2 glasses of wine once or twice a week.