Paleo

Options
Is turkey bacon ok on a Paleo diet? I have issues coming up with Paleo breakfasts, and of course, everyone in the house votes for bacon...but I really can't stand regular bacon! I don't really get how bacon fits into Paleo in the first place...being cured and all..but anyway, can I sub turkey bacon? I haven't researched fat content and all that...but I really prefer turkey over pork bacon..whaddya think? Fair sub?

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. Turkey "bacon" is excessively processed. Mostly to make it look like pork bacon. Just find some other meat source. Like sausage, lol. Seriously, eat whatever meats you like. There is no such thing as "breakfast food" in paleo. Have salmon, or turkey or whatever you had for dinner last night. There are no rules.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sorry you don't like bacon :-( lol. I eat uncured bacon that's not very processed. If you could find turkey bacon that is minimally processed, it could be paleo. However, most turkey bacon at mega marts aren't worth the money for the chemicals they pump in them.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon yuck! lol.. It is like the schmegma at the bottom of the turkey hot dog bowl, that they roll out and market as edible... OY! just kidding.. i don't know that's true.
    Paleo encourages getting your healthy fats from nuts, seeds, plants(avocado) , and animals. bacon , if you kind find some you like is a good source of beef fat. What is rendered off from frying is readily usable, and highly flavorful, when used to cook other things. It is all preference. Maybe try Extra virgin coconut oil instead.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Not all bacon is cured.

Also, turkey bacon is not paleo, but who cares? If you want to eat it, eat it. What you put in your mouth is up to you.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I still eat bacon sometimes when I'm craving it, and I haven't found any negative effects while on the Paleo diet. I think that it's healthy to have some "cheats" on a diet, mine is dark chocolate, and some dairy, and diet coke when I'm craving it and not to stress about it. Try to stick to the diet 100% of the time, but realize that you only will meet it 80%. I feel like I stay within the guidelines 95% of the time and I've been able to thrive on this diet for almost a year, I'm never going back.