Help...Over 40...running out time to look hot....

Options
I was hoping someone would know... if MFP allows me 1410 calories as my goal and I've been shooting for min of 1200, without exercise cause I don't want to stay "starvation mode". I would think less is better, as I may drop weight a bit faster? Would it help if I ate less of my goal on carbs, protein, and fat? ( mostly stay at the goal set for these). If I exercise I believe I have to eat the calories back for that day.. Does exercise alone speed up the process?? I'm over 40! I got get this fat movin!! :)

Replies

• zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and great job getting started! For right now, just establish the habit of tracking and keeping to your goals. Cutting too much too soon is often what gets most people into trouble in the beginning. If there are days you aren't as hungry, listen to your body. Usually there will be other days when you are going to balance that out.

The way I have found success (slowly but consistently) is that I have done as little as possibly to get results, that way I haven't burnt out my body and lost something I can't sustain. This is just what works for me. I eat between 1500 and 1900 calories each day, and make sure I get at least an average of 30 minutes for each day of the week, with 1 rest day. I lost weight the fast way and I didn't have any way of keeping everything off.

One thing that can keep you on track is planning your meals ahead. I know I tend to get sidetracked a lot, and if I don't plan out my meals I end up grabbing things or going out and eating things I later regret. Make a plan and stick to your guidelines.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support, or just want to add an extra person to your friends list!

Each day is a new chance to start again. You can do this!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Although it's great that you want to get healthy, you still look hot in your profile pic! Gorgeous features :flowerforyou:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old.

Seperating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

Ignore exercise calories because it's insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

If you are not doing a weight training routine you need to start one and do it the rest of your life to ward off osteoporosis.

I have more details on how this worked for me here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout and on my MFP blog
  • wclassy
    wclassy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Info.......Very helpful... The #s were stressing me alot. I will incorporate my strength training to be stronger!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do incorporate strength, but also do some walking / rowing / whatever you enjoy to build your cardiovascular fitness.

In terms of eating, don't fall into the trap of eating too little. Yes, with a high bodyfat % you might be ok doing this for a while, but it's not a lot of fun, and unless you're experiencing immediate health risks, it's really not necessary. Eat a reasonable amount of food. 1400 is likely about right - perhaps a little light - for someone who isn't currently active. If you start working out, do add some calories in. It will keep you comfortable.

Thing is, if you don't feel comfortable and happy, you will find this hard to stick to, long term.

And no, faster isn't always better. What you're aiming for is a sustainable, long term plan that will help you be healthier and happier for years to come. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't go overnight either.
  • roguestates
    Options

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories.

That may be true, but keep in mind that weight loss is largely a psychological game and you have to be ready for the long haul. If you're too ambitious and thus too restrictive in the beginning, your mind and body will fight back and you might have less resolve.

Know yourself and whether you can handle a large or conservative deficit. Whatever you choose, MOVE your body however you can.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My doctor advises simply "To lose weight, do not put it in your mouth!"