size

Options
i have been working out with a personal trainer twice a week every week since March 21 2009, as well as other days on my own. i have a small frame and 5'-3". i know i have put on muscle and that muscle weighs more than fat. all that being said the question i have is why does my pant size keep going up along with my weight when all my measurements are coming down.
i eat well. i don't eat meat, i eat fruit and vegatables i dont drink pop but do drink a lot of water. should i be doing something different to lose the 12lbs i want to lose?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Pant size changes depending on the cut and brand of the pants. I'm a baggy 6 at the Gap, but if I try a 6 on at Aeropostale, I can't get it past my thighs.
    Weight fluctuates based on food/water/waste retention and glycogen levels that increase in response to exercise. Muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat, but it is more dense. However, putting on muscle mass in a caloric deficit isn't something your body is capable of performing.
    What measurements are you taking? Inches, body fat? Those are the best indications of fat loss.
  • LauraGUnit
    Options
    I totally understand you. About three years ago I had a personal trainer and was working out 5 times a week at the gym, doing a balance of cardio/weight training/kickboxing. I wouldn't say I was eating completely the best, but I had cut down on a lot of snacks and desserts and was eating well compared to other friends. I didn't lose weight either. my clothes fit better, I lost the shelf on my butt, and I felt better.

Neither my trainer nor I could understand why the scale wouldn't go down, but in fact went UP! I finally quit working with my trainer because it was too expensive and thought I had failed. However, I look back on that time and realize that there were a lot of benefits I didn't even acknowledge at the time. I felt much better, had more energy, felt good about my clothes fitting better and most importantly, I had a great positive outlook that was sustained during that time. When I talked to friends about joining a yoga gym recently, they were all in total support and brought up the time when I was training as a really healthy mental place for me. I didn't even think they noticed!

So, all that long windedness to say - keep it up! Remind yourself why you hired a personal trainer in the first place. Was it to lose weight? Be healthy? To focus on yourself? If it was purely to lose weight, then what does losing weight mean? The scale or the measurements?
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    Waist 30.0 on 08/14/09
    Hips 34.5 on 05/22/09
    Chest 34.0 on 08/14/09
    Tri. Body Fat % 18.0 on 08/14/09
    Thigh Body Fat % 23.0 on 08/14/09
    Suprailium Body Fat % 25.0 on 08/14/09
    thigh 21.0 on 08/14/09
    arms 10.0 on 08/14/09

trainer took my measurements but not body fat % on monday everything was the same accpet for the hips they went down a half inch.
    start of the year i weighed somewhere between 120 & 124. i was at the dr."s monday and they weighed me in at 127ish not quite 128.

just trying to figured out what i need to do to get the weight(body fat) down. i would like to be at 115

my BMI is 22 so i am told.
  • rmccully
    Options
    my trainer tells me to lose my middle that is not huge but is still there it is all about food and eating well.
    anyone have any ideas on what that would look like? like i said i eat fairly well. a lot of vegatables and fruit. water,
    eggs, not a lot of pasta, yogurt . should i be eating differntly?
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    What are your protein sources since you don't eat meat? Maybe something to look at... :smile: :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • rmccully
    Options
    Protein powder, eggs, rice & beans, yogurt......
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Just because you weighed more on a different scale doesn't mean you gained weight. If one of those scales wasn't perfectly balanced and calibrated, that could easily be the cause of the weight difference. I have 2 scales at my house. I can weigh on one and then weigh on the other and immediately be 15 pounds lighter. :wink:
  • rmccully
    Options
    Just because you weighed more on a different scale doesn't mean you gained weight. If one of those scales wasn't perfectly balanced and calibrated, that could easily be the cause of the weight difference. I have 2 scales at my house. I can weigh on one and then weigh on the other and immediately be 15 pounds lighter. :wink:

i dont weigh myself at home, it is only when I am at the doctors office. should theirs always be the same?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

i dont weigh myself at home, it is only when I am at the doctors office. should theirs always be the same?

I imagine not. Not only is mechanical error of the scale itself a possibility, there's also human error to factor. Additionally, you were probably wearing different clothes/shoes which can easily change your weight. Was it a different time of day? There's another factor. Did you have more sodium the day before than the last time? Another factor. See where I'm going with this?
  • rmccully
    Options
    yes i understand.

i guess i am looking for ideas and any help i can get on what i should be doing. should i be eating differently than what i am? adding specific excersise? i am 127 right now and i would like to be at the 115 mark. since working out i have gained 7 lbs.
    all measurements are going down, which is good. it is just frastrating when things dont fit, knowing measurements are going down. uuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhh