I still don't understand

Options
No matter how many times I google this question, I still can't figure out the answer so if any of you could help it would be great. I always hear that diet sodas will hinder weight loss and I just think... why? They have no calories in them, and I know the chemicals aren't great for me but I'd chose chemicals over calories any day. So does anyone know if there's any truth in the whole diet soda/no weight loss thing?

Replies

• aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Please check the search bar to see if there's topics that have already been posted.

This should definitely help your question: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/725842-for-you-diet-soda-drinkers-out-there?hl=diet+sodas+bad+for+weight+loss there's a lot of debate in it but it generally explains both the good sides and bad sides of diet soda. People have a lot of different opinions.

Do what's best for you.

:-)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The research I saw on this in the NYTimes last year says that you body tastes the sweet and produces insulin to take the sugar it thinks is in your blood out. Well, there isn't any sugar there, so it takes the sugar out that is there and turns it into fat. But now you have low blood sugar and it makes you HUNGRY. So you eat more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    SOME people experience cravings and other negative side effects (headaches, bloating) from artificial sweeteners. THOSE people should avoid them.

But mostly, it seems to be a case of rolling up to the drive through and saying, "I'd like three McDoubles, a large fry, an apple pie, a hot fudge sundae, and a small diet coke to take it all away."
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't think that diet soda or artificial sweeteners, in and of themselves, hinder weight loss.

That said, if you have a sweet tooth, you may want to limit diet sodas and artificial sweeteners because they train your body to enjoy unnaturally sweet flavors. That can lead to eating more candy and dessert items for some people, whereas if they just kicked the sweets cold turkey, they'd be shocked to find that in a few months' time they no longer want them.

There have been some theories that your body reacts to artificial sweeteners in the same way that it does to sugar, but I haven't yet seen a well-conducted study proving this.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I don't have any studies or science to offer up, only my own life experience. I used to drink a ton of diet sodas on a regular basis. Since making a lifestyle change I replaced the soda with water. My cravings for sweets has been greatly diminished - this has helped tremendously with my weight loss. Once in a while I'll indulge myself and have some soda. A few times I've let it get away from me and having one soda turned into having several sodas throughout the day. This cranked up the cravings for even more soda and the desire for anything with sugar.

A soda here and there is no big deal, but if I overindulge it gets out of hand quickly. Water is working well for me.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    SOME people experience cravings and other negative side effects (headaches, bloating) from artificial sweeteners. THOSE people should avoid them.

But mostly, it seems to be a case of rolling up to the drive through and saying, "I'd like three McDoubles, a large fry, an apple pie, a hot fudge sundae, and a small diet coke to take it all away."

I don't think it is quite THAT kinda of situation....

For me, it is a matter of not wanting the 600 calories in soda to wash down my 400 calorie salad, but not wanting water. So I order a medium diet ( 0 calories) instead.