Confusion over net calorie reduction

Options
Hey everyone hoping I can get some help.

I updated my goals as I'd reached a point in my weight loss that I was happy with and didn't want to lose much more so only have 1kg (2.2 pounds) left to go. Even though I kept the workout sessions the same I've had a 210 calorie reduction - From 1500 to 1290. Surely if I only want to lose a tiny amount the amount I eat should roughly say the same as I would of thought if I reduce how much I eat I'd lose too much and I want to be able to maintain my weight of 53-54 kg (117-119 pounds).

*Confused* :huh: Could anyone explain this to me please?

Thanks!

Replies

• RKAY89
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand.. but the one thing that I'll say is 1290 is ridiculous, no offence, but seriously. Starving your body won't do anything but give you long-term health problems and you'll end up yo-yoing
  • Astroduckula
    Options
    Hi. Basically I'm pretty much where I want to be in terms of weight and so I updated my goals to reflect this and the new data MFP gave was a drop in my calorie intake which I thought was odd as I don't want to lose much more and so I don't get why it did it. I generally eat more than that anyway and I REALLY don't want to starve myself never seen any benefit to that. I just wondering what MFP were thinking reducing my intake and if anyone knew why they'd do it as I now keep going over my daily intake. :ohwell:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what weight loss rate did you input ?
  • Astroduckula
    Options
    Hi my original goal was 51kg (112lbs) - I'm 5'3" and generally skinny.

I went up to 59kg (130lbs) and then started on MFP and dropped to 54 kg (119lbs) - where I'm at now - and after getting a good look at myself thought a good place to stop would be between 54 and 53kgs (119 and 116lbs) and so adjusted my goals to reflect this.
    I was at 1500 net calories per day before and changed goal weight from 51 to 53 and kept my workouts the same (3 a week) and that's when net intake dropped to 1290.

I just don't get it. :huh:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    when you set the goals you have to set a weight loss rate, at the bottom of http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

you should be using maintain or lose 1/2 lb per week
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Your calories may have changed because of your weight loss. Less weight means fewer calories are needed. If you are very small and female that could be an accurate number. Just be sure you have it set at maintanence.
  • Astroduckula
    Options
    I had set my goals to lose 1/2 pound a week.

Here's what I put so you can see:

Current weight: 54kg
    Goal weight: 53kg
    Height 1.6m
    Sedentary daily activities
    3 workouts a week @ 30 minutes each
    Goal: Lose 1/2 pound per week

This is what I got:

"Nutritional goals Target
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,290 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 177 g
    Fat / Day 43 g
    Protein / Day 48 g

Fitness goals Target
    Calories Burned / Week 390 Calories / Week
    Workouts / Weekends 3 workouts
    Minutes / Workout 30 minutes

If you follow this plan...
    Your projected weigh loss is: 0.5 lbs/week
    You should lose 2.5 lbs. by October 22"

I'm really having to limit what I eat to stick to 1,290 and find myself most of the time starving and like I said before, never seen the benefit of starving myself. :grumble: